British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-16, 08:19 AM

Default West Riding Regiment - F N B'Ham

I really dont want to start collecting British badges although over the years I have handled thousands of them. My biggest reservation is with the number of fakes on the market. Granted the fakers generally produce such a poor product that even the most excited novice should realise that it is not 'the real thing'. However this is not always so. When the faker starts to put maker marks on the slider ( the many Gaunt fakes) then it is an indication that he is 'upping his game '
So when I picked up this West Riding badge in a collection recently, I had reason to pause. The obverse detail is good and the reverse also looks ok. The slider is rather wider that I usually see and is stamped FN B'Ham . The slider is shorter than usual , but I think that it has been broken at the base of the badge.
Can anyone tell me anything about the manufacturer and when this badge was produced ?
Many thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wr2.jpg (36.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg wr3.jpg (34.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 31-03-16, 10:13 AM

Hello,

Its an original badge made by F. NARBOROUGH of Birmingham.

The slider has been clipped.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 31-03-16, 10:28 AM

Mike
If you go to the maker's mark section you will see other makers marks for Frederick Narborough (FN Narborough). In general the O/R's badges they produced had a very distinct slider - wide at the top which progressively narrowed toward the bottom. Your slider matches this as does the mark and it would appear genuine. It has been deliberately shortened to fit better in the cap.

The company Frederick Narborough started life as a silversmith in or around 1850, progressing into the manufacture of Scottish military regalia and military badges. It became Dalman Narborough in 1925. I suspect they may have stopped using the FN mark around this time - but that is only pure conjecture and others may know differently or have a different view.

There was a very interesting but short thread a couple of years back which showed they are still in existence and a Dalman descendant is still in charge. They are now known as All Arms Marketing & Manufacturing Organisation or AMMO for short.
regards
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 31-03-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 31-03-16, 08:02 PM

http://www.ammoandco.co.uk/downloads...20Brochure.pdf

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=31636

Rgds, Thomas.