British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 26-11-13, 12:34 AM

It's alright Pylon, it's only the age old tradition of the Anglo-Saxon debate (heated at times, I have to admit). You know, you've seen the House of Commons......
Old 26-11-13, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
What the heck is wrong with you British Badge Collectors?........................ All this bickering is just becoming tiresome.

Now let them toss stuff at me for my observation and comments.

Don't worry Pylon1357! When they start tossing stuff at you for your very accurate and well voiced observations and comments all you need do is make a public apology explaining that you wrote in haste, without thinking, and offer to cancel your membership in the Forum and you will soon have people pi--ing in your pocket and telling you what a good bloke you really are. That seems to be the way.

I now apologise for writing this post in haste, without thinking. I shan't withdraw, though, as following these verbal punchups makes for entertaining reading though I must say that they reveal more about the membership rather than badges.

Donny B.
Old 26-11-13, 03:58 AM

C'mon guys; cap-badge collecting is pretty pedestrian stuff - pls allow a little excitement now and then, especially for us younger chaps.

It's not like it happens every day and folks sometimes need to blow off steam.

And don't worry; it looks like there is not enough disagreement to shut down the site quite yet!

Awra best
Old 26-11-13, 12:35 PM

As a humble "back bencher", I think Fatherofthree had a point.

Simon.
Old 26-11-13, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Enough is enough. Can personal tirades please stop and get back to the topic of badges.

The chance would be a fine thing!
Old 26-11-13, 05:46 PM

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
As a humble "back bencher", I think Fatherofthree had a point.

Simon.
Old 26-11-13, 05:53 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Now look what you've done - he is in the corner all alone.

Enough is enough. Can personal tirades please stop and get back to the topic of badges.

Alan,

I could not agree more, well said.

Regards,

M
Old 30-11-13, 04:18 PM

Default rules

As a new boy to the form I have had some very good experiences but also some bad .
I subscribe to the British Blades forum where the sales sections are limited to individuals who have posted a "number of times" before they are allowed sell
Any individuals selling over a number of items (10 knives) per month , 3months in a row is classed as a trader and had to abide by traders rules

No "make me an offer " adds are allowed and payment by PP gift is also not allowed . People share knowledge willingly and prices can be reduced on items that don't sell.
I guess the point I am making is that make it clear what's being sold and the rules around acceptance
Outside of that, its up to the individual how much help and information they want to give
Just my 10 penneth and observations from other sites
Steve
Old 30-11-13, 05:30 PM

I've just come across this thread now which is surprising as I check for new threads every day but..........

In the name of heavens, do we really want to be so undignified as to make posts such as those I've seen here? The opening post alone had me startled.

I'm only a recent member and in the typical British way of things that means I come a long way down in the pecking order. I'm not even a collector, just someone who is interested enough in military history to want to stick the occasional (hopefully) interesting post in. What I'm trying to say I suppose is that not many other posters will attach much merit to what I say.

I am a member though and I think I have a right to post that I don't think personally insulting messages have a place here. I know what's behind it and I understand the sensitivities involved but surely we all have a little more dignity than what I'm seeing displayed over this shenanigan?

I've been the subject of insults on other sites, even witch hunts, and I know how upsetting it is. We all know it's not real life on a website but it's surprising how deeply affected we can be by words on a screen. Worse in this case because an actual material object and money are involved.

I would like to make an appeal to both protagonists. End it. Shake hands (metaphorically). Agree to disagree, agree not to talk to each other again, do whatever you have to do but stop this stupid and senseless bickering on the website which has members from all over the world watching your behaviour.

The site and its owners have done nothing to you, just provided a forum where you can discuss your interests, exchange items or buy/sell them. Don't bring shame on it.
Old 30-11-13, 09:27 PM

aahhh... the military collecting interests sure are flypaper for the mentally ill, aren't they!?!
Old 01-12-13, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcM View Post
aahhh... the military collecting interests sure are flypaper for the mentally ill, aren't they!?!
I freely admit I am mentally ill. I have PTSD. There's no shame in it. I got hurt in the army and that makes it an honourable wound. There may well be others on the site with similar problems. That however, is their business.

I am not a collector. I don't have the calm mindset for it. I see collecting, anything, as being one of those quaint British pursuits carried out by quiet men all over the country. The sort of people who enjoy a pint at the pub before Sunday lunch. Passionate people whose interest preserves some things which might otherwise be lost and could be very useful educationally in the future.

During my short time here I've come across some fabulous collections put together and catalogued with all the care and skill of a professional curator. They're not all going to be like that but they will all aspire to be.

I can fully understand how anyone with such a passion could become irate in the circumstances we've seen here. I just thought it was time I spoke out in an effort to get the protagonists to think about how silly it's all become in the eyes of most of the rest of us. Time to call a halt to the animosity and to realise how unimportant the spat is in view of the greater good.
Old 02-12-13, 01:31 PM

"There may well be others on the site with similar problems."

I run the largest sword-related public discussion forums on the web. I've seen it all and had to deal with it on a daily basis since the mid 1990s.

Collecting isn't limited to being a just a 'quaint British' thing, as I'm sure you would agree. And beyond that, for some of us collecting has risen to the level of a becoming a discipline - often prompting extensive research that results in new discovery, academic recognition and even publication. That being said, one tends to develop the reasonable expectation that the collecting interests and those involved with them should be approached in a gentlemanly and dignified manner. Clearly, this doesn't always happen, but I do tend to hope aloud sometimes.
Old 02-12-13, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcM View Post
"There may well be others on the site with similar problems."

I run the largest sword-related public discussion forums on the web. I've seen it all and had to deal with it on a daily basis since the mid 1990s.

Collecting isn't limited to being a just a 'quaint British' thing, as I'm sure you would agree. And beyond that, for some of us collecting has risen to the level of a becoming a discipline - often prompting extensive research that results in new discovery, academic recognition and even publication. That being said, one tends to develop the reasonable expectation that the collecting interests and those involved with them should be approached in a gentlemanly and dignified manner. Clearly, this doesn't always happen, but I do tend to hope aloud sometimes.
You've not said anything I disagree with. I hope you realise I was generalising and just putting an opinion together in a few short sentences?

Calm, dignified discussion is something I hope everyone aspires to and that was the message in my post. It's an utopian dream I know won't happen because we are all human and have failings. I'd just like to see people who are prone to being offended to think twice before posting something which is likely to upset others and makes us all look foolish. Or even come back and modify or delete posts after they've calmed down.
Old 03-12-13, 03:24 PM

I have to also point out that there legal obligations on the part of the forum moderators to ensure that no one is slandered and abused on the site.

I do think that tightening the rules around sales items will help .
If people are looking for appraisals maybe they should have to have 100 postings or make a donation for Help for heroes
Sharing data on projects is some thing different and easily recognisable from some touting for an appraisal.
just a thought
Steve
Old 03-12-13, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think that this thread has run its course and I will move it to the 'Forum operation' folder shortly.
Closed Thread