British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-12, 09:09 PM

Question How To Tell The Difference?

I'm looking for a SD&G Highlanders Cap Badge and noticed there are some around but didn't realize these are being faked until I happened upon a discussion for this forum.

I would like to have one but how do I tell the difference between the genuine article and a reproduced fake (what do I look for), I just don't want to spend $$ on an item that isn't what I thought it was. Thanks all.
Old 18-08-12, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hi ewop, Welcome to the B&CMBF.
Which pattern SD & G Highrs are you looking for? The M92 pattern, (three thistles) or the M93 pattern, (St.Andrew's cross)?
Neither should be terriby expensive, though the M92 pattern is scarcer.
Old 18-08-12, 09:38 PM

Wow, I don't know for sure. I was a member of the SD&G Highlanders reserves for a time in the early 70's...so whichever cap badge we would have been using at that time (I can't remember) would be ideal but, probably any genuine SD&G Highlanders cap badge would do, would just kinda like to have one from that time period.
Old 18-08-12, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi ewop, They would have been using the M93 pattern badge, but with the queen's crown. The SD & G qc cap badges have not been copied to my knowledge, and one should be found for $20 or less.
Old 18-08-12, 11:46 PM

Ok, very useful information to help me regarding my search. Would I expect this badge to have a flat back or would it probably resemble more of a stamped one and would there be a visible makers mark ie: Skully/Montreal (which I have seen in pictures) and/or is there something else in particular I should be looking at or for as I'm far from an expert on this and I appreciate the advise you have provided so far and thank you for that.
Old 18-08-12, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

The correct badge would be a stamped example, with the reverse of the front showing on the back. If it is cast, I would stay away from it. There is not likely going to be a maker mark. I am not sure, but recent runs of the SD & G Highr's may be fitted with sliders.
Old 19-08-12, 12:30 PM

ewop, I don;t know your local, however there is a militaria show and sale comming up at the SD&G Armouries in Cornwall.

I have the following information on the show...

30 September, 2012 09:00:00AM SD&G Highlanders Antiques, Firearms and Militaria Show Cornwall, ON, Sunday 30 September 2012, (Date TBC) at the Cornwall Armoury, 505 4th St, East, from 0900 to 1500 hrs, admission is $5, ladies and accompanied children are free. This is a good regional show in support of the Regimental Foundation, featuring militaria of all kinds, firearms and edged weapons, books and historical displays. The SD&G Highlanders Museum and Kit Shop will be open. Contact Leon Chamois at 613-936-9124 ext 234 or by email at leon.chamois@forces.gc.ca or Stephanie at 613-936-0932 or dublin19677@hotmail.com.

out of interest, as this show date clashes with the Show in Peterborough, I will have to pass on this one.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 19-08-12, 03:54 PM

ewop:

There are at least 2 QC SDG on eBay.ca at the moment at $15 or less: one slidered, one lugged.
Old 19-08-12, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
ewop:

There are at least 2 QC SDG on eBay.ca at the moment at $15 or less: one slidered, one lugged.
Do either or both of these appear to be the genuine article? If so, I will take a close look at them. Thanks you.
Old 19-08-12, 06:42 PM

Pylon: Yup, I'm aware of it. If I'm not able to score one in the meantime I'll more than likely be attending...spent lots of time there on the parade square when I was a reservist with the SD&G Highlanders Light Infantry Unit.
Old 20-08-12, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewop View Post
Do either or both of these appear to be the genuine article? If so, I will take a close look at them. Thanks you.
As far as I'm concerned they both are. The one is maker marked.
Old 20-08-12, 04:43 PM

Thank you 'DavidS', I appreciate the reply and moreso now because I just bought one of the QC one's which should have been used when I was a member of our local SD&G Reserve Unit in the '70s.

TM
Old 20-08-12, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hello TM, There are very few qc badges that have been repro'd. There isn't the interest (read $) collecting the queen's crown issue, so they have not had the attention of the repro scammers. A couple of exceptions, but basically the qc are a safe area to collect.
Old 20-08-12, 06:46 PM

Hey Bill, good to know that too cause I just ordered a SD&G Highlanders QC cap badge from an Ebay seller who guaranteed me it's real or money cheerfully refunded. I don't mind spending a few $$ but I expect the real deal and thanks to you and the others who took the time to reply, I'm sure I have a real one on the way and should get it this week.

Now, I'm kinda thinking that I want the 'other' SD&G Highlanders cap badge as well :-) think I'll have any problems finding a legit one?
Old 20-08-12, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewop View Post
Hey Bill, good to know that too cause I just ordered a SD&G Highlanders QC cap badge from an Ebay seller who guaranteed me it's real or money cheerfully refunded. I don't mind spending a few $$ but I expect the real deal and thanks to you and the others who took the time to reply, I'm sure I have a real one on the way and should get it this week.

Now, I'm kinda thinking that I want the 'other' SD&G Highlanders cap badge as well :-) think I'll have any problems finding a legit one?
If, by the 'other' one you mean the king's crown version, I have a spare.