British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-08, 06:25 PM

Default Northumberland Fusiliers

hi all
new on here and new to collecting.I bought this cap badge recently and would like to know if it is a genuine WW1 badge?It has had a pin fixed to the back so it can be worn as a lapel badge and looks like the rim has been reduced as well.Did many soldiers have this done, i would be interested to know?
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nfbadge 2.JPG (64.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg nfbadge 1.JPG (62.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 28-01-08, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting fifth View Post
hi all
new on here and new to collecting.I bought this cap badge recently and would like to know if it is a genuine WW1 badge?It has had a pin fixed to the back so it can be worn as a lapel badge and looks like the rim has been reduced as well.Did many soldiers have this done, i would be interested to know?
Steve
Hi Steve,

Yes it's certainly a 'right 'un' and the sort that would have been worn from when cap badges came in till upto 1935, as it was originally slidered it would be post 1908ish in date at the earliest. As for the rim being reduced I believe its just a battered been there done that example, unless anyone more knowledgeable than myself on the forum knows better. Sometimes the flames above the grenade were squashed flat for wear on the cap. You're right about the pin fixing sometimes old soldier did this to wear on their blazers or to give them to their sweethearts whereas other times it was just done when the slider broke off but judging from the straight uniform cut I'd say the FORMER was true in this case. One regularly turns up broached badges at fairs but they generally command lower prices as pureist collectors steer clear of them if they can help it. Nice original badge tho how much did you pay for it?

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 28-01-08 at 10:11 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 28-01-08, 07:03 PM
Administrator

hi fighting fifth, welcome to the forum, yes thats the genuine article if I ever saw one.
slider clipped and brooched for a vets lapel - not an uncommon practice for smaller badges like this.
Old 28-01-08, 07:17 PM
Administrator

yes, this OR'S pattern in use 1902-1936 when they changed to the bi-metal "motto" version. (Officers were using a similar pattern in S&G a few years earlier than '02)

denis wood also has this to add regarding this badge:

"There are many different strikes of this common badge and the quality of production varies a lot. Modern restrikes are usually of a pale gold colour. The true brass colour is said to be an economy issue, 1916-18. Earlier issues have loops but most have sliders"
Old 28-01-08, 07:21 PM
Administrator

.. and probably very common due to the size the Northumberland Fusiliers expanded to in the Great War.- one of the largest regts.
Old 28-01-08, 07:21 PM

hi thanks for that,i'm pleased its genuine.It cost £7 thats probably too much is it.I will keep an eye out for an untampered one in the future.I'm interested in WW1 badges mostly.
Steve
Old 28-01-08, 07:37 PM

Quote:
hi thanks for that,i'm pleased its genuine.It cost £7 thats probably too much is it.I will keep an eye out for an untampered one in the future.I'm interested in WW1 badges mostly.
Steve
Hi Steve,

Is a bit on the high side for a broached one, about £8 is going rate for an original one - but as long as you're happy with it and the fact its an original are the main things. Administrator is right there were a heck of a lot of Northumberland fusilier battalions in ww1 http://www.1914-1918.net/northfus.htm

If you want badges that are gaurenteed ww1 in date then you'll mostly be after all brass '16 economy issue vaireties which can cost a pretty penny and for certain regiments hard/impossible to find. The most I've paid is £52 for a Royal Munster Fusiliers all brass but its the only genuine one bar one I've ever seen. Most will cost you double figures at least though £12ish upwards depending on rareity... do you have any reference books so you know what you're after?

Luke
Old 28-01-08, 08:02 PM

no don't have any reference books but have heard of the Kipling
& King one.There are some good websites with photos on and i've been checking those out,some of them are dealers as well.
Steve
Old 28-01-08, 08:20 PM

Quote:
no don't have any reference books but have heard of the Kipling
& King one.There are some good websites with photos on and i've been checking those out,some of them are dealers as well.
Steve

KK is very in depth but also expensive unless you pick up a second hand copy, I'd reccomend 'Military Badge Collecting' by the late 'John Gaylor'. In the latter there is a list of all the economy issue badges (although I don't agree with several supposedly all brass issues he believed to be in existance) none the less it is an excellent readable guide with lots of excellent pictures (if you get a more recent addition - 2003), you can get it on amazon I believe through outside sellers. If you want an all brass list I could send you one. Be careful not to be tricked by dodgey dealers selling badges that appear in brass standardly (from 1897-20s or even later) as '16 economy issues eg. The Buffs, Northumberland Fusiliers, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Royal Berkshire etc. don't pay more than £6-8 for these. If you need any more help just ask.

Cheers,

Luke

Luke
Old 28-01-08, 10:46 PM

hi Luke thanks for that info much appreciated.will definitely try to get a copy of the Gaylor book.
Steve
Old 29-01-08, 04:58 PM

You would be better off buying The Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges by Dennis Wood.
Old 29-01-08, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
You would be better off buying The Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges by Dennis Wood.
I did try to find a copy of this on the internet but came up blank.
Old 30-01-08, 06:26 PM

It's a scarce book. However I've got a very fine one you can have but it's not cheap at £60.00 + £5.00 P&P PM me if interested. Regards Mike