British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-13, 03:08 PM

Default 2 Canadian Special Infantry Battalion (shoulder title)

I've been asked if I can identify this for period and usage, but it's outside my area of expertise. I would appreciate it if any of our members can provide some background on it.

From searching the forum, this thread my be talking about the same flash, but the linked auction page is no longer active, - http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=8287

Thanks

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoulder_flash_2_cdn_spec_inf_bn.jpg (36.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-02-13, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Here is an excerpt from my book dealing with this title:

Low point men and recent reinforcements found themselves in the unenviable situation of being stuck in the United Kingdom without prospect of an early return to Canada. Last over, they would be last back, unless they volunteered for the Canadian Army Pacific Force. Even that possibility evaporated with the Japanese surrender leaving considerable numbers of soldiers in various training battalions and reinforcement units in the United Kingdom over the fall of 1945. One unit, the 19th Canadian Infantry Training Battalion was re-designated the 2nd Special Battalion, C.I.C. in the late summer. At a ceremony at the Aldershot sports ground on September 26, 1945, they represented the Canadian Army wearing “2 /CANADIAN SPECIAL INFANTRY / BATTALION” titles, yellow lettering on French gray with a red embroidered border. No official authorization has been found for these titles. © B.Alexnder
(Michael, I have also replied via email to the original request.)
Old 01-02-13, 03:33 PM

Bill, thank you very much.
Old 01-02-13, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Here is an excerpt from my book dealing with this title:

Low point men and recent reinforcements found themselves in the unenviable situation of being stuck in the United Kingdom without prospect of an early return to Canada. Last over, they would be last back, unless they volunteered for the Canadian Army Pacific Force. Even that possibility evaporated with the Japanese surrender leaving considerable numbers of soldiers in various training battalions and reinforcement units in the United Kingdom over the fall of 1945. One unit, the 19th Canadian Infantry Training Battalion was re-designated the 2nd Special Battalion, C.I.C. in the late summer. At a ceremony at the Aldershot sports ground on September 26, 1945, they represented the Canadian Army wearing “2 /CANADIAN SPECIAL INFANTRY / BATTALION” titles, yellow lettering on French gray with a red embroidered border. No official authorization has been found for these titles. © B.Alexnder
(Michael, I have also replied via email to the original request.)
Perhaps I could just add that my example of this title - identical to that illustrated - came from a manufacturer's sample board that was from and came to light in Northern Ireland in the mid 1980s. From it I acquired this single Canadian title and three different Canadian battle patches superimposed with C.C.S. as well as a few obscure British flashes.
Old 01-02-13, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mike. You have added more provenance. Could you provide me with the makers name?

Last edited by Bill A; 01-02-13 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-02-13, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thanks Mike. You have added more provenance. Could you provide me with the makers name?
I regret that that was never revealed by the man who had bought (?) the sample board, but it was in Belfast. Given the variety of items on (and previously on, but removed from) the board it must have been a well known firm with a long-running War Office contract. I'll try and narrow the field a bit. Post Warden may have ideas?
Old 01-02-13, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Some further explanation. This title has been attributed to 2 Canadian Garrison Battalion under that battalion's first designation. The Garrison Battalions were raised for the defence of vulnerable points in Canada, and never served overseas.
Here is the organizational history of 2 Garrison Battalion:

1353 No. 2 Special Service Infantry Battalion
Authorized: GO 325/42 - Effective 15 Jun 42, Redesignated: GO 362/40 - Effective 15 Jun 42
Redesignated: Serial No. 1353 - 2nd Garrison Battalion - GO 362/42 - Effective 15 Jun 42

1353 2nd Garrison Battalion
Authorized: GO 362/42 - Effective 15 Jun 42, Allocated to the Canadian Infantry Corps as:
Serial No. 1353 - 2nd Garrison Battalion, C.I.C. under GO 485/42 - Effective 3 Sep 42

1353 2nd Garrison Battalion, C.I.C.
Authorized: GO 485/42 - Effective 3 Sep 42, Disbanded: GO 301/43 - Effective 1 May 43
(Tonner, On Active Service)

Note the unit was not authorized until 15 June 1942, and it was immediately redesignated 2nd Garrison Battalion. There is an extensive file from archives about the insignia for the Garrison battalions, which does not use the original designation Special Service Infantry Battalion for either 1 or 2 Garrison Battalion. There are no documents on file about obtaining titles under the original designation. There is considerable correspondence about the badges and shoulder titles for the two Garrison battalions, and how they would be distinguished by two different numbered shoulder titles. This is not consistent with or supportive of the title that is under discussion in this thread. The designation No 2 Special Service Infantry Battalion is not the designation used on the title in question. The designation for the reinforcement battalion overseas is consistent with the title.

Tags
canadian, infantry, special