British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-08, 04:20 PM

Default Just To Have Certitude Of Identification....

it's basic but.....

For me it's a collar of royal artillery officer... but .....??????

but i dont found it in my books ....just similar TF artillery off (with leaves) in british army collar badge CHURCHILL and WESTLAKE n°337

7 flammes UBIQUE = artillery
9 flammes UBIQUE = enginers
10 flammes UBIQUE = ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06658.JPG (20.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06659.JPG (20.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 25-01-08, 05:29 PM

The ten flamed grenade was used by the Corps of Royal Engineers.
Old 17-11-08, 01:56 PM

to be continued !!!!

i have found a second one , but this time in bronze ,2 pieces and with a JR.GAUNT LONDON plate soldered on the back side.

it's not very easy for me to understand.

for me royal enginers off have bronze 9 flames with ubique scroll....

i know 10 flammes with wreath scrol (royal artillery territorial off service dress collars)
10 flames without scroll (indian artillery)...

please help me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07954.jpg (61.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07955.jpg (61.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07956.JPG (93.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 17-11-08, 06:30 PM

Here's the Known RA collars.

Other Ranks:
In 1840 following a uniform change to the Coatee, a worsted embroidered Yellow grenade was worn. This remained until the Coatee was replaced by a tunic in 1855.
The 1st metal badge was the small brass universal grenade collar badge with no scroll and this was worn from 1880 - 1914.

During WW1 no collars where officially worn.

In 1924 the universal grenade was reintroduced. This was replaced in 1926 by a small brass 9 flamed grenade with Ubique scroll as worn by Sappers. In 1928 this was replaced by a slightly larger (1.1/2") brass 7 flamed grenade with Ubique scroll. This pattern remains in wear today but in AA.

From 1880 - 1908 Volunteer Artillery wore a White metal version of the universal grenade.

For Officers:
A small Gold Wire embroidered grenade was worn from 1838 - 1855 on the Coatee.
Due to rank being worn on the collars no badges where worn until 1881. Then a frosted Silver wire embroidered grenade (2.1/4") was introduced. For RHA -to date. For RA until 1939.

A similar Gold Wire embroidered Grenade was worn on the Frock coat from 1902-1914 and on No.1's 1950 - date.

A bronze 7 flamed grenade with Ubique scroll (1.7/8") was introduced in 1902 for wear with khaki Service Dress*/**. A gilt version was worn from 1953 on N0.3 Dress.
From 1908-1917 Territorial Artillery Officers wore this with Laurel Spray scroll replacing Ubique.

*1902-1908 Volunteer Artillery Officers wore a bronze grenade without scroll on Khaki Service Dress.
** Militia officers wore this with Seperate letter M worn below.

From 1902-1913 a small gold wire embroidered grenade with Ubique scroll (1.1/4") was worn on Mess dress. A similar badge with Silver letter M was worn on Mess dress by Militia Artillery.

Any other Grenade Scroll Variations, such as 'Blank' Scroll or 'Volunteer' Scroll have not been ID'd as yet and may be Colonial or Fake.

There are variations such as TYNE, STAFFORD, or the Antrim, Glasgow, Bucks & Berks, or Warwickshire badges but these are out with the scope of this explanation.

Hope this helps. Mike
Old 17-11-08, 09:28 PM

thank you for your help

very interesting for me
Old 17-11-08, 10:21 PM

Hi Mike,

A very interesting and comprehensive answer.

You mentioned that there were other variations such as "Bucks & Berks". I am interested in Berkshire related stuff myself and am embarrassed to admit that I didn't know this variation existed. What was the "Bucks & Berks" badge and do you have a picture of an example please.

Many thanks

Ian
Old 18-11-08, 07:14 PM

Ian, I do but not with or near me I'm sure 54Bty will have one and bail me out.

Circa 1925, HQ Battery 99th (Buckinghamshire & Berkshire Yeomanry) Army Field Brigade R.A (TA) wore a Special unique collar Badge consisting of an oval of Laurel leaves with an RA gun Badge complete with Mottoes. Superimposed on the laurel leaves above the gun was a small disc with the Buckinghamshire Swan. Below the gun was another disc with the Berkshire Horse. Worn with Service Dress Tunics in Bronze for Officers and Brass OR's.
Old 18-11-08, 08:21 PM

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for that. As I said I am very embarassed that I have never heard of that collar badge and me with a supposed interest in Berkshire related items.
When did they stop wearing that badge?
Also, do they come up for sale very often and what sort of price (£'s) do they go for?

Cheers

Ian
Old 18-11-08, 09:04 PM

Ian, 1925 - uncertain but short lived. To say they are rare would be totally underestimating it. Especially the Officers ones. No fixed Price, but Silly money.

Tags
artillery, collar badge, engineers