British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-12, 02:20 PM

Default NATAL LIGHT HORSE S/T

I assume "NLH" does = Natal Light Horse. I understand this unit only existed for a year or so,1914-1915.

The S/T is sheet brass with the letters attached to a horizontal strip of brass, 2 copper lugs being attached to the back of this.

Cox (p.346) shows a different pattern,would they have worn two different S/T's during such a short period? Perhaps the one in cox is the issue title and mine is a locally made one? Then again, maybe another unit with the same name existed at some other time?

any info/comments much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0332.JPG (48.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0333.JPG (68.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-12-12, 02:42 PM

Natal Light Horse. Raised in 1879 from men from the Frontier Light Horse at a strength of 138 and served in Zululand. Re-raised for the First World War by Lt Col Royston in August 1914 for the German South West Africa campaign at a strength of 500 as part of the Central Force. It was disbanded in June 1915

Participated in the battle for Gibeon and suffered casualties there. The unit did not have a hat badge and wore the title on headgear.