British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-07-13, 06:36 PM

Default RN commando BD lanyard

Hi guys,
I picked up an RN commando bd yesterday and on the right shoulder it has a green lanyard. Does anyone know the significance of this ??
Many thanks,
Fez
Old 22-07-13, 06:52 PM

Possibly attached to HQ 3rd Commando Brigade RM - unit lanyard was green.

Ritchie.
Old 22-07-13, 07:05 PM

This might help
http://www.rmhistorical.com/images/Lanyards.pdf
Old 22-07-13, 07:23 PM

Old 22-07-13, 08:01 PM

Default Lanyards

This is interesting - I can see where you are coming from regarding similar Lanyard colour but 3 Commando Brigade served in the Far East in WW2 and as far as I know had no standard Lanyard across its composite units. Construction is also very different.
There is now a Lanyard thread on the Forum under General Topics - I will try to link this discussion with postings on that thread.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...110#post221110

It is very useful to see the Royal Marine Lanyards - they are also a valuable contribution to the Lanyard thread (attempted to post a link there too, with acknowledgement to Irv). I note they are post war illustrations, though some were relevant to WW2 as you know.

As far as the lanyard on the RN Cdo battledress is concerned - I think it is a fairly 'generic' pattern but have no real evidence or basis for thinking so - apart from I am pretty sure I have seen similar patterns in a variety of contexts.

Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 22-07-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 22-07-13, 08:15 PM

Notwithstanding what regulations might have to say, this is what an RN Signalman/Telegraphist was wearing in a Bombardment Unit FOB in June 1944 in Normandy.
FOB Normandy RO.01.jpg
Old 22-07-13, 08:25 PM

Mike - that is a great image - thanks for sharing! - Mike
Old 24-07-13, 02:07 PM

Somewhere in the depths of my brain is a recollection that the colours of their lanyards distinguished one Naval Beach commando from another. I'll try and dig deep and find it

Jon
Old 26-07-18, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Somewhere in the depths of my brain is a recollection that the colours of their lanyards distinguished one Naval Beach commando from another. I'll try and dig deep and find it

Jon
Hi Jon,
just re-visiting this thread, did you ever manage to find the information on the lanyards ?

Thanks,
Fez
Old 26-07-18, 12:35 PM

According to Ian Sumner in his Osprey book The Royal Navy 1939-1945 , each Beach Commando was distinguished by a coloured lanyard worn on the left shoulder although he only lists green for George, old gold for Howe and red for Roger, the Beach Commandos given letters rather than numbers to avoid confusion with Army and RM Commandos.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Old 26-07-18, 04:47 PM

Hi Jon and Fez
There appears to be very little information on this matter - the Osprey source is the only one I have found too.
It is a shame that an official 'National Archive' or similar archival source has eluded us. Unless, of course, the information in the Osprey book is based on anecdotes, rather than recorded practice (official or unofficial). Photos indicate a rather mixed representation of lanyards, particularly among Ratings, but also Officers (see Commando Veterans Association gallery for example).
If forum members have any further thoughts on this issue it would be extremely helpful to hear them - any guidance appreciated.
Regards
Mike