British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-13, 06:08 PM

Default RWAFF Slouch Hat flash

I have recently purchased a lovely 1942 dated Slouch hat, complete of what I guess should be the insignia of the RWAFF, Gold Coast Regiment: a yellow equilateral triangle. What could be the meaning of the white strip at the base of the triangle? a battalion device? a brigade insignia? Thank you in advance for your advise and all the very best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWAFF_Slouch_1.jpg (48.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg RWAFF_Slouch_2.jpg (48.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg RWAFF_Slouch_3.jpg (97.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg RWAFF_Slouch_4.jpg (56.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 25-01-13, 07:40 PM

Could it be possible that this is a Kings African Rifles slouch hat?

They also had a myriad of cloth signs on theirs. I was able to look at some East Africa Command Orders from the period and drew the following as worn on KAR slouch hats. This appears to be a small selection of many more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KAR.jpg (52.8 KB, 180 views)
Old 25-01-13, 09:04 PM

Superb illustrations above. I have a note that within the RWAFF the equilateral triangle was in the following colours for national/state units:

Red Div HQ
Green Nigeria
Yellow Gold Coast
Blue Sierra Leone
Brown The Gambia

I also have a note from Formation Sign (FS) 88 that Gold Coast Infantry units wore a red AoS strip at the base of the yellow triangle. And a query from FS 120 about a combination patch of yellow triangle and three red AoS strips below. But I regret, no clue as to what the white AoS strip might signify although there is a query in FS 223 - a slip-on with one white and one red AoS strip above an Ordnance issue R.W.A.F.F. title.

Over to the experts!
l
Old 26-01-13, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Could it be possible that this is a Kings African Rifles slouch hat?

They also had a myriad of cloth signs on theirs. I was able to look at some East Africa Command Orders from the period and drew the following as worn on KAR slouch hats. This appears to be a small selection of many more!
Thank you Madziro.. sure, it could be a KAR slouch hat, but still I was infering it could be RWAFF Gold coast basing on the list of National badges produce by Mike Jackson... according to your list I have got in my collection a slouch hat that I have always thought to be South African because of its black rectangle flash (I can't remember which unit had a vertical black rectangle as a Pith Helmet patch) but now I find it could be Nyasaland? Could the back lining of the pughree have any specific meaning?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slouch1.jpg (39.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg slouch2.jpg (39.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 27-01-13, 05:21 PM

The slouch hat with black square is definately 1st Bn KAR. Rhodesians have also traditionally worn slouch hats from the 1890s. I have attached drawings of the signs they wore on theirs over the years to 1980. have also included a few images of the Rhodesian slouch hats I have in the collection for interest. Also attached original slouch hat signs for 1KAR (black) and 2KAR (green)that I have.

From the excellent info Mike has supplied, your slouch hat is definately RWAFF! Quite a few Rhodesians served with them too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hat flashes 1.jpg (56.5 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Hat flashes 2.jpg (49.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg RAR officers slouch hat 1940s - 1950s.jpg (45.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg RAR officers slouch hat.jpg (48.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Rhod Sigs slouch hat.jpg (59.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Rhodesia Regt slouch hat.jpg (37.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Intaf slouch hat.jpg (44.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Hat flash 1 KAR.jpg (23.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Hat flash 2 KAR.jpg (31.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Madziro; 27-01-13 at 05:26 PM.
Old 27-01-13, 05:35 PM

Thank you gentlemen! on ebay you can actually find a Slouch Hat offered as 82nd West African Division with a flash reminding one of those suggested by Micke Jackson, but not as long as the colour is concerned... here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WWI...item1c2f81b96c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16N,!yEE9s5jEbFPBQ1MjboIqg~~60_57.jpg (48.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 30-01-13, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The slouch hat with black square is definately 1st Bn KAR. Rhodesians have also traditionally worn slouch hats from the 1890s. I have attached drawings of the signs they wore on theirs over the years to 1980. have also included a few images of the Rhodesian slouch hats I have in the collection for interest. Also attached original slouch hat signs for 1KAR (black) and 2KAR (green)that I have.

From the excellent info Mike has supplied, your slouch hat is definately RWAFF! Quite a few Rhodesians served with them too.
Hello Madziro, very interesting tables of formation signs... which years are they related to? I have got a MK II helmet with a red/white split triangle that resembles very much the device of the 58 Recce (Company? Battalion?) in your table.... thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mk_II_Malta_Insignia.jpg (61.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mk_II_Malta_1.jpg (50.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by loupie1961; 01-02-13 at 11:36 AM.
Old 31-01-13, 01:50 PM

This flash looks very much like the one worn by the Southern Rhodesia Recce Regt. Will check my info as to which theatres they served in. The drawings cover the period from WW2 to 1980.

Regards

Dudley
Old 30-06-13, 02:20 PM

Quote:
This flash looks very much like the one worn by the Southern Rhodesia Recce Regt. Will check my info as to which theatres they served in. The drawings cover the period from WW2 to 1980.

Regards

Dudley
Hello Dudley, did you manage to find any supplementary info on the Southern Rhodesia Recce Regt. in WWII, in the event? Please give a look to the attached photos: I guess this is a slouch or pith helmet flash for the 1sr RAR?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAR_1_st_Bn_1.jpg (44.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RAR_1_st_Bn.jpg (39.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-07-13, 01:14 PM

The SR Recce Regt was very short lived and was literally a name change from SR Recce Unit to Regt in 1942. Conflicting info indicates that later in that year they were given a new name - SR Armd Car Regt. However it is possible that the SRRR title was also used (interchanged) up to 1947. The SRRR served in the Desert under command of a bloke from the 11th Hussars

Have attached two images of the badges I have. The one image depicts the SRACR (Selous Scouts) which was equipped with Staghounds and was based in Ndola, Northern Rhodesia.

The black and white flashes do not appear to be RAR. They appear to be lying on their side so in effect would be vertical and not horizontal.

Dudley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRACR 2.jpg (68.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg SRACR Selous Scouts.jpg (74.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-11-13, 04:21 PM

Default KAR/ Rhodesian/ Nyasaland Pith helmet?

The flash is yellow over black,
Does it indicate
28 (Kenya) Bn KAR,
Southern Rhodesian Transport Corps
or Nyasaland Defense Force?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-11-13, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernhighlander View Post
The flash is yellow over black,
Does it indicate
28 (Kenya) Bn KAR,
Southern Rhodesian Transport Corps
or Nyasaland Defense Force?
Hi,

The colours for the Nyasaland Defence Force unit flash were: Orange over Black.

Regards,

Zob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (47.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 14-12-15, 10:57 PM

Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a slouchy with formation sign of brown/orange triangle. Is it a RWAFF Gambia regiment or something else?

I will be very thankful for your help on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18172c.jpg (37.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 16-09-18, 07:55 AM

Great info in this thread, thanks to all who supplied it.

Jerry
Old 16-09-18, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Fabulous collection is it possible to repost the signals hat to some Greek signals friends on another forum, they won't have seen anything like it?
Cheers
Sean