British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-12-15, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
JT,
I believe Jennens only made officers badges? I'm sure I've a very well made Gm example somewhere, I will dig it out and post images! As theses are awards perhaps they were produced in Gm for officers, rather than private purchase items like other officers insignia?

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Silly question but did officers wear them or were they expected to go as part of their service if need be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
I am sure officers did wear the "broach", it is certainly implied that they did in Westlakes "The Territorials 1908-1914 " and I am also sure that I have seen pictures of it been worn by officers but I cannot lay my hand on one at the moment.

P.B.
These badges (occasionally erroneously referred to as 'tablets') were not strictly awards, per se. My understanding is that it was felt at the time that unfair pressure might be put upon a member of the TF, and stigma attached to him, if he refused to serve abroad during a time of conflict. By voluntarily agreeing in advance to serve abroad, prior to any outbreak of war, such pressure would be negated. The badge was proposed to serve as official recognition of this acceptance of liability for service abroad. Semantics on my part possibly, but worthy perhaps of note here, since the conditions of service set out on Army Form E624 (the document officers and men of the TF signed when agreeing to undertake liability to serve abroad in time of national emergency) does say 'a badge will be awarded to each individual...'

During the initial discussions surrounding the ISB's inception, a medal had in fact been proposed, but the idea was quickly discarded, as medals were/are intended to signify recognition of services actually performed.

The badge was intended for officers, NCOs and men (of the TF) though it was not compulsory for it to be worn.

I'd love to see the g/m example you have, Andy; that'd be great. Out of interest, drafts of the Army Orders actually state that the badge 'shall be a tablet [hence the wonky moniker] of white metal'. I'm open to the theory/possibility of official g/m ISB production, though I have so far found 'official' evidence of w/m only.

Regards,

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 10-12-15 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-12-15, 10:01 PM

Here are a couple of hoffisahs sporting the ISB:

image.jpg

Regards.
Old 09-12-15, 10:07 PM

Peter,

I can confirm that officers did indeed wear it.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-12-15, 12:54 AM

Hi Chaps

Many thanks for all the interesting responses, much appreciated.

Officers were certainly entitled to wear it, as evidenced by the above photo. I've seen the occasional photo of it being worn by Officers but it seems to have been worn much more commonly by O/R's. Wearing of the badge was optional, as mentioned above, so perhaps most Officers who were entitled chose not to wear it for some reason.

Intriguing as to just what the G/M version represents though, if it officially represents anything at all! Is it possible that the official issues were all WM and the G/M versions were a private purchase item?

David

PS... also interesting that the issue of the badge was proposed as early as 1909.

Last edited by davidwyke; 10-12-15 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
... also interesting that the issue of the badge was proposed as early as 1909.
David,

Without my notes to hand (if memory serves at this ungodly hour) the ISB was introduced under Army Order 3, of January 1910.

All the best.
Old 10-12-15, 10:52 AM

The Army Order calls it a Tablet, which should be good enough, surely?

I have a gilding metal example: even under a good glass it is identical to the white metal variety except the alloy. Had it for at least 30 years, too.
Old 10-12-15, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
The Army Order calls it a Tablet, which should be good enough, surely?

I have a gilding metal example: even under a good glass it is identical to the white metal variety except the alloy. Had it for at least 30 years, too.
I'm inclined to disagree on that point. The Army Order calls it 'Imperial Service Badge'. It's only in paragraph 2, that reference to a tablet is made, which is merely a description of its shape, not its official name. Referred to throughout the rest of the order as 'badge': para 1(a), para 2, para 6, para 7. I might be looking at the wrong AO, though!

Show us yer g/m example, Grumpy.
Old 10-12-15, 03:16 PM
Former Member

Here are my badges and to be honest having now looked at the Gm example it differs to the others in that the tablet is 1mm shorter and the font rather "Skinny" looking? The Pin on the Gm badge is brass and the hook clasp differs to all those I've seen on ISB's, perhaps it is a repro?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.jpg (53.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0005.jpg (78.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0006.jpg (65.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-12-15, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Here are my badges and to be honest having now looked at the Gm example it differs to the others in that the tablet is 1mm shorter and the font rather "Skinny" looking? The Pin on the Gm badge is brass and the hook clasp differs to all those I've seen on ISB's, perhaps it is a repro?

Andy
Thanks for showing the above Andy, very interesting. Could be a repro but could it be a contemporary private purchase? I don't know why you would need to purchase something that you would be issued with for free but just a thought.

If it's a repro made with the intention to deceive then you would expect it to be in the same metal as the original.

David
Old 10-12-15, 05:09 PM

Yes, thanks for that. Good to see another g/m example.
Old 10-12-15, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
If it's a repro made with the intention to deceive then you would expect it to be in the same metal as the original
To create a need and fill a gap in the collectors market. Assuming that it is a fake.

Andy
Old 10-12-15, 06:07 PM

Hi All,

To add to the discussion, I have 3 Imperial Service badges, two in white metal and one in gilding metal.

All tablets are the same length but the gilding metal one is 9mm wide compared with the white metal ones which are 10mm.

One of the white metal badges has J R GAUNT LONDON on back.

I guess there were many maker's variations and I would suggest that Andy's badge is genuine, albeit with a flaw at one end.

Cheers, Tinto
Old 10-12-15, 09:03 PM

There are plenty of gilding metal versions around, and have been for years, not worth much now and even less so 30 years ago.
Sometimes I wonder if collectors' apparent paranoia regarding fakes/ repros is justified regarding low value items.
Who is going to waste a Saturday afternoon knocking out IS ................... ...............tablets/badges/brooches/broaches, for goodness sake?
Much better to do a nice GMGR cap badge or two! The cost/benefit ratio would be much improved.
Old 10-12-15, 09:35 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
There are plenty of gilding metal versions around, and have been for years, not worth much now and even less so 30 years ago.
Sometimes I wonder if collectors' apparent paranoia regarding fakes/ repros is justified regarding low value items.
Who is going to waste a Saturday afternoon knocking out IS ................... ...............tablets/badges/brooches/broaches, for goodness sake?
Much better to do a nice GMGR cap badge or two! The cost/benefit ratio would be much improved.
A nice thought, however very far from reality I'm afraid. They appeared to have faked anything, even WW2 RAOC badges! You cannot even give genuine examples of these away!

Many of these repros were made 30-40 years ago, they took a punt and now some of their fakes are changing hands for quite handsome sums I'm sorry to say!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 10-12-15 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 09:47 PM

Just to add to the feed, here is a Lambourne makers marked w/m.

P5060162.jpg P5060164.jpg

Ta