British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-21, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Wfe in person?
Yeah, would make more sense. Perhaps a slip of the pen in putting the 'e' and the 'r' in each other's places?
Old 01-10-21, 05:49 PM

Yes but what does wife in person mean, and why refuse pension which wouldn't have been something you'd just give up back then or now for that matter.
Old 01-10-21, 05:50 PM

Had a quick look at her, there are 2 marriages : 1 for Crissey Bell Hall in 1904 and one for Crissy B Hall in 1916. There is only one such name I can see in the births register. There is also no divorce recorded.
One in the same person? Might explain the prison reference- bigamy?
Gary
Old 01-10-21, 06:25 PM

Might we me looking at annotation one the record from different times.

The ‘wife in person’ is written below a printed line which appears to be related to a payment of some kind. So is this just a touch by the man completing the record to note he paid this man’s ‘wife in person’ to remove any later possible ambiguity or confusion (or claims by a NOK not to have received money!).

The faded ink this is written in has a date below and above of 1919.

The pension refused in blue ink is endorsed S.G.C so perhaps a body/commission rather than the widow refusing the pension. i.e. S.G.C have cut her off. Her initials being C.B.H. .

The blue ink is dated 1920 so has happened and been updated some time later for whatever reason.
Old 01-10-21, 06:32 PM

I think it looks like there is a 'rising' letter after the p, the e would kind of be level with the circular bit of the p - probably not explained that very eloquently, but I think that rise fits in more with it being a letter like r?
Old 01-10-21, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1666 View Post
Had a quick look at her, there are 2 marriages : 1 for Crissey Bell Hall in 1904 and one for Crissy B Hall in 1916. There is only one such name I can see in the births register. There is also no divorce recorded.
One in the same person? Might explain the prison reference- bigamy?
Gary
Interesting.

I note, however, that the spelling differs; the 1904 entry is 'CRISSEY' whereas the 1916 entry is 'CRISSY'

Still, it's close enough to be one in the same person, of course, and/or human error.

JT.jpg

The off-centre position of the dot over the 'i' of 'CRISSY' could indicate that the third letter in the pencil-written word ('PERSON' of 'PRISON') could also be an 'i', though these could of course have been penned by different hands.

Just a thought.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 01-10-21 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-10-21, 06:59 PM

Hi JT,
That potential spelling error wouldn't be too unusual, normally I'd be cautious but as there is only one, either spelling, in the earlier records for births probably a decent chance its her. Thats just my quick 5 minute look up, the unusual name though could bode well for future research
Old 01-10-21, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1666 View Post
Hi JT,
That potential spelling error wouldn't be too unusual, normally I'd be cautious but as there is only one, either spelling, in the earlier records for births probably a decent chance its her. Thats just my quick 5 minute look up, the unusual name though could bode well for future research
Agreed. Spelling and transcription errors are certainly not uncommon among such documents.
Old 01-10-21, 07:29 PM

I hope it turns out to be true, be an interesting twist to it all
Old 01-10-21, 08:43 PM

Thanks once again to everyone for your input.

JT
Old 01-10-21, 08:44 PM

de rien !
Old 02-10-21, 11:04 PM

Greetings JT.
Not much to help with your bloke, but the following may interest you.

Crissy, (also shown as Chrissy, Crissey and Cristabel) Bell Hall, so Crissy Bell could be badly written records for Cristabel, was born in Ham, near Rochester 27.12.1883.

On 3.7.1904, she married your bloke, who was at the time a coal porter.

As you know, he died on 31.10.18 and I found a record showing he died at Brook, however, I have no idea where that is, nor can I locate it on Google maps, but I suspect it is in England.

On 21st December 1918 Crissy Bell Mowles married John Anthony Woods, a Chief Petty Officer in The Royal Navy.

In 1948, she was living in Fulham and at some stage she emigrated to Canada and died in Ontario in February 1961.

Now the intriguing bit, a Crissy Bell Hall is shown as marrying Edwin T Harrison on 8th October 1916 in Hornchurch.

I don’t believe that two ladies of the same name are involved, both shown as being born in 1883 and the father’s name for both marriages is James Thomas Hall.

Perhaps the word is Prison and she was in fact a bigamist, as suggested by Gary.

See below for Soldier’s effects.

Soldiers effects.jpg

Now, even more intrigue, I do believe that the name shown as to whom his effects are authorised is Crissy B Woods.

Regards.
Old 03-10-21, 12:15 AM

An addendum.

A bit more delving has unearthed the following bits and pieces:

Brook refers to Brook War Hospital, Shooters Hill and the following link may assist you:

https://wartimememoriesproject.com/g....php?pid=13564

Your chap has 3 locations shown as his place of birth, all in the same vicinity in Suffolk; Sudbury, Cosford and Whatfield.

No trace of him on any Memorials etc for those mentioned, however there are 12 other named Mowles shown as served or casualties on the Whatfield Roll of Honour.

Perhaps some much more in depth searching into local newspaper archives for that area may yield more for you.

Regards again FoT
Old 03-10-21, 07:32 AM

Brian,

Wow! That is absolutely superb. Thank you for going to so much trouble.

This really does thicken the plot considerably.

I’m extremely grateful. Thank you.

JT
Old 03-10-21, 02:17 PM

JT.

De nada.

It's a pleasure, I enjoy a bit of research, much to be learnt whilst doing so.

It may well soon be time for a meet and pint or three.

Regards.

Brian