British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-21, 01:27 PM

My mistake - that was the article I meant to post a link to.

There was a good article on Shaw in "Military Illustrated" or similar magazine around 20 - 30 years ago.

From what I remember it stated that Shaw and some of his comrades were drinking heavily prior to the battle, chomping at the bit - fighting mad, and eventually he just took off at the enemy.

It was claimed that no single wound finished him off, it was the accumulative effects of many.
He died slumped on a midden after having been unhorsed, sword broken, fighting on wielding his helmet.

I have a print of him from around 1815, charging the French Cavalry.
Old 19-06-21, 01:39 PM

I have to agree Simon. For me with having an interest in the Rifle Brigade ,each campaign bought new battle honours which were added to the belt plate. Theres 13 or 14 different plates from 1820 to 1910 approx.
Old 19-06-21, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Apparently the grenadier Guards did most of the graft, on the 18th. Just saying.....
Andy
Yes, they wore fur caps with white plumes after did'nt they, like the Vth Foot had been doing since 1778 after defeating French troops at St Lucia? Admittedly, the Fifth's usage wasn't authorised.

How did the furore about fairly recent works on Hougemont work out?
I seem to remember that controversial work developing a visitor's site was being carried out, proper archeolgical examination being denied?
Old 19-06-21, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Apparently the Grenadier Guards did most of the graft, on the 18th. Just saying.....
Andy
Andy

Just saw this Think we were still busy at Hougoumont to be honest

Simon.
Old 19-06-21, 02:10 PM

An interesting article on Corporal Shaw and some other Waterloo soldiers:

http://www.thorotonsociety.org.uk/pu...l-monument.htm

I have a letter signed by the Duke of Wellington somewhere.
It's dated 1852 I think, within a few weeks of his death.
Old 19-06-21, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
An interesting article on Corporal Shaw and some other Waterloo soldiers:

http://www.thorotonsociety.org.uk/pu...l-monument.htm

I have a letter signed by the Duke of Wellington somewhere.
It's dated 1852 I think, within a few weeks of his death.
Leigh

Interesting, thanks Mate.

Simon.
Old 20-06-21, 10:12 AM

One of my "missed opportunities" was to agree to buy a Waterloo medal to a Sergt John French. I then found that I didn't have the spondooliks so missed out....

Imagine the stick he would have got.....

I do, however own a miniature Waterloo that have been engraved around the edge (52nd Regt)
Old 20-06-21, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
One of my "missed opportunities" was to agree to buy a Waterloo medal to a Sergt John French. I then found that I didn't have the spondooliks so missed out....

Imagine the stick he would have got.....

I do, however own a miniature Waterloo that have been engraved around the edge (52nd Regt)
You're right, can't imagine his name made him very popular, would love to see the miniature medal if you get time to photograph it.

Simon.
Old 20-06-21, 10:21 AM

Default Waterloo...little and large

Hi all

Thought you might be interested to see two of my Waterloo medals, full-size and miniature. The miniature is not the one I mentioned in my previous post but is still interesting as dear old "Prinny" has been given a gooseneck by the engraver!

This medal is actually a fraction larger that the standard miniature but I do also have one that is about 7 or 8mm in size. Now that is taking "miniature" to a whole new level!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterloo 001.jpg (18.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 20-06-21, 10:27 AM

Hi Simon

Sure, will do. I'm not the world's best photographer but the miniature has a bar suspension as seen on the MGS. I think that the recipient actually got an MGS so maybe there is the mate to his Waterloo out there somewhere.

I find it rather curiously Victorian that those who were awarded medals would then have their miniatures engraved with their names and regiments.

It's not universally done, but always adds something to a medal when you see it.
Old 20-06-21, 10:43 AM

It definitely does - and I like miniatures of that era which are "glazed", sandwiched between flat or convex glass discs.
Old 20-06-21, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Hi Simon

Sure, will do. I'm not the world's best photographer but the miniature has a bar suspension as seen on the MGS. I think that the recipient actually got an MGS so maybe there is the mate to his Waterloo out there somewhere.

I find it rather curiously Victorian that those who were awarded medals would then have their miniatures engraved with their names and regiments.

It's not universally done, but always adds something to a medal when you see it.
Many thanks, I think the Battle of Waterloo made such a huge impression on both The Army and the British Public that anyone in possession of either the MGS or Waterloo Medal would have been rightly proud to be seen wearing it or a miniature version of it whilst in uniform or later in civilian clothing after retirement from The Army. There is a thread running on the British Medal Forum at the moment regarding Waterloo Day where a Contributor states

'I suspect a man wearing his Waterloo medal never paid for a drink.'

Such was the reverence in which the Veterans were held. Perhaps engraving even the miniature version, though not usual practice, was an example of the pride felt by those awarded the medal.

Simon.
Old 20-06-21, 10:52 AM

Hi Leigh

Yes, I've seen those in auction catalogues but never had the money to buy them.

What I also find comical are the miniatures suspended from a piece of full size ribbon.

I've got about four different sizes of miniature Waterloos so I should dig them out for a "group photo".

When you look at Hart's Army lists, many have a curious, almost gothic script "W" after their names. The meaning is obvious and I think that they got some extra seniority because of their Waterloo service.

Anyone know when the last veteran of the battle passed away? OK, yes Google will answer it but why not ask the members?
Old 20-06-21, 10:56 AM

A local collector has a genuine 10-bar MGS miniature that I've been trying to prise out of him for years.

The bars are hand-engraved but it's interesting to think who would have bothered to have had a miniature MGS made and been in a position to be fit and able enough to wear it....
Old 20-06-21, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Hi Leigh

Yes, I've seen those in auction catalogues but never had the money to buy them.

What I also find comical are the miniatures suspended from a piece of full size ribbon.

I've got about four different sizes of miniature Waterloos so I should dig them out for a "group photo".

When you look at Hart's Army lists, many have a curious, almost gothic script "W" after their names. The meaning is obvious and I think that they got some extra seniority because of their Waterloo service.

Anyone know when the last veteran of the battle passed away? OK, yes Google will answer it but why not ask the members?
I have a thin folder of modern copy photos and newspaper clippings concerning the last veterans of Waterloo and Balaclave, had it for decades and sure enough, now I want it, can't find it.