British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-08-17, 05:36 PM

Cadogan family also had a connection with Ireland:

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-08-17, 06:42 PM

Thanks for steering me in the Irish direction, I was thinking it was Welsh due to the dragon. On a closer look the border round the edges looks Gaelic. I looked up Cadogan on the website Bill, and the crest is very similar but the wording round the garter is different from Cadogans Motto. Any thoughts on that one chaps.
Rgds Garry
Old 31-08-17, 06:44 PM

Sorry Peter for the name mistake. old timers problem
Old 31-08-17, 07:03 PM

Garry,
The motto on your badge is not only used on Military badges but by many of Chivalric orders. Knights Lords etc. O not unusual to be found on this type of badge.
Pictured is one of the Earls Cadogan, they are apparently the second richest in Britain behind the Duke of Westminster.
You may note the harp toward the bottom of the image and the Orders he wears will carry the same motto,his adornments are very similar to your badge
Paul

It's the 5th Earl Cadogan in the image btw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9838.jpg (62.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 31-08-17 at 07:09 PM.
Old 31-08-17, 07:10 PM

Barry, No problem.

As Paul says the motto on the badge is that of the Order of the Garter and whilst I am not that well up on heraldry, a crest is just part of the full achievement of a coat of arms.

I am now convinced that your badge is a horse harness ornament for the Cadogan family.

Peter ( another old timer )

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-08-17, 08:36 PM

The Order displayed is The Order of St Patrick, a currently dormant Order. The shamrock is the central display of the Order's badge. Googling the Order on Wikipedia will show detailed illustrations

GTB
Old 02-09-17, 09:58 AM

Many thanks chaps for your help, and steering me in the right direction. It is part of the arms of the 5th Earl George Cadogen 1840--1915 according to Wikepedia.
Rgds Garry.