British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-14, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by border85 View Post
I just bought this cap badge. What is your opinion on it?

Thank you
I agree with the other chaps on this, sorry its not right IMO.

There is another tell tale indication I would mention though.
On the front of the badge there is a small mark/nick to the left of the base of the 'V', which I believe is a die fault and appears on many spurious badges to this regiment in my experience.

Good luck with future acquisitions, and I'd suggest good reference books are an important part of successful buying, know your subject before you spend your money.
Its a mine field out there, copies abound and its not going to get any better. So try and buy from reputable sources.

Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 18-12-14, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
G'day Border85

When dealing with UK Cavalry Regiments I'd be careful with the use of the word "famous", as they are all famous for one reason or another. Just think about Waterloo where 5 regiments formed the Union Brigade, the Crimea where we have the Charge of the Heavy Brigade and the Light Brigade on 25th October 1854, the Indian Mutiny and many other battles and charges that took place like the 16th lancers at Aliwal and later the 21st Lancers at Khartoum in 1895. These regiments date from the 1600's and 1700's, with the exception of the 18th H to the 21st Lancers who were added to the British Army following the Indian Mutiny, and therefore have very long historys.

Also you need to understand the difference between Household Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, ie 1st to 7th Dragoon Guards and the Light Cavalry being the 1st Royal Dragoons to 21st Lancers, including Light Dragoons, Dragoons and Hussars, which includes the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons and my relatives regiment the 17th Lancers.

In the case of the 5th Royal Irish Dragoons they are an amalgamation of the 5th Dragoons Guards and the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons (of the Light Cavalry) in 1922 when they adopted the crowned "V" as a badge.

If you really want to collect British Cavalry I would suggest that you get a good reference book, may be a Kipling & King Vol 1 if you can find one.

I hope that this helps

regards

Phil.
Down Under.
My highlighted text indicates a mistake you have made mate. The 5th Royal Irish Dragoons became the 5th Lancers. I believe your mind has been racing there and what you meant to type was the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards - am I correct in that assumption?
Old 19-12-14, 12:00 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Talking

G'day Hussar100

Yes my mistake I realised that I had used the wrong title after I hit send and should have gone back and edited the post to correct it. You must admit apart from thr "foxes paw" the sentiment is valid. And I wouldn't be game to suggest that the regiments that went to make up the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars weren't famous either !

Thanks for picking me up. I owe you one.

Regards

Phil.
Old 19-12-14, 02:13 PM

Quote:
G'day Hussar100

Yes my mistake I realised that I had used the wrong title after I hit send and should have gone back and edited the post to correct it. You must admit apart from thr "foxes paw" the sentiment is valid. And I wouldn't be game to suggest that the regiments that went to make up the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars weren't famous either !

Thanks for picking me up. I owe you one.

Regards

Phil.
I absolutely agree with you Phil. I make mistakes like that all the time because my mind races. Easy to rectify though. So many famous regiments, when you're concentrating on the name from 200 years ago it sticks in your head!

The QRIH were fortunate to be made up of two of the most famous. Lots of pride generated from that!
Old 01-01-15, 05:51 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Talking

G'day H100

Happy New Year.

Looks like we have a mutual interest in a "little gallop" that took place on 25th October 1854.

Have a look at Griff MJ's 17th Lancers uniform photos album, you are looking for the photo of an officer seated in a chair wearing 'the medal" and his sword, click on the photo and read the text and you will understand why this Aussie uses my user title and collects and defends the regiment.

Yes a Great Deal of Pride, I understand what you say.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards

Phil.
Old 01-01-15, 09:57 PM

Quote:
G'day H100

Happy New Year.

Looks like we have a mutual interest in a "little gallop" that took place on 25th October 1854.

Have a look at Griff MJ's 17th Lancers uniform photos album, you are looking for the photo of an officer seated in a chair wearing 'the medal" and his sword, click on the photo and read the text and you will understand why this Aussie uses my user title and collects and defends the regiment.

Yes a Great Deal of Pride, I understand what you say.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards

Phil.
Thanks for the heads up mate.