British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Colonial Police and Paramilitary Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-12-13, 04:34 PM

Default Some Palestine Police bits

Sharing a few items of the Palestine Police.

(a) Badges:
Left badge with slider, silver;
Right badge with loops, bronze - impressed "DOWLER BIRMINGHAM" at rear.

(b) Buttons:
Top row, l to r: Flat, one-piece, N/P (nickel plated) 'FIRMIN. LONDON", 23mm; all others convex, N/P, same maker apart from cap button which is unmarked.
Bottom row: Black horn, 21.5mm, unmarked

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PalestinePol.jpg (29.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 29-12-13, 05:22 PM

Very nice and not easy things to find anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post

(a) Badges:

(b) Buttons:
Top row, l to r: Flat, one-piece, N/P (nickel plated) 'FIRMIN. LONDON", 23mm; all others convex, N/P, same maker apart from cap button which is unmarked.

GTB
Old 01-01-14, 03:09 PM

The standard Dowler made badges are really very nice, until quite recently, I did not have one, by chance I encountered six examples all together in the same dealers tray, he did not want very much money so I bought one, this particular badge has etched onto it's slider "Jas Connolly" I was really pleased to find a 2161 British Constabable J Connolly in WO100/510 at Kew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post

(a) Badges:

(b) Buttons:

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020284.jpg (52.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1020283.jpg (55.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-01-14, 05:43 PM

Thanks for your interest, Frank. Every little bit of additional info counts.
GTB
Old 01-01-14, 08:01 PM

I just think they are nice badges and really well made too, a quite short history I suppose, but, a very violent one.
Old 01-01-14, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
The standard Dowler made badges are really very nice, until quite recently, I did not have one, by chance I encountered six examples all together in the same dealers tray, he did not want very much money so I bought one, this particular badge has etched onto it's slider "Jas Connolly" I was really pleased to find a 2161 British Constabable J Connolly in WO100/510 at Kew.
Frank

Thank you for mentioning this file, after hunting through it I believe I have ID'd the PP Constable I found in two photos inherited from a late uncle. That is based on the number in column 1 being the officer's collar number - does that sound right?

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 01-01-14, 09:23 PM

Gard

Nice selection, thanks for sharing. (And as a result I think I've ID'd the Constable shown in the photos I found in an old family album).

Happy new year gents

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 02-01-14, 08:54 AM

Glad to hear it, Graham. This is what it's all about
All the best
Gard
Old 02-01-14, 11:44 AM

Nice group, just to confirm - when you say silver do you mean silver or silver coloured?
Eddie
Old 02-01-14, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
Nice group, just to confirm - when you say silver do you mean silver or silver coloured?
Eddie
There is no hallmark so I would say silvered / silver-plated. Badge has the shiny, sparkling look of old silver when against the light (not evident in image) as opposed to wm. Slider has also been treated, albeit worse for wear, but not rest of badge at rear. It is finely cast, unlike the bronze badge, which is die-struck. Hope this has been useful. Pity am unable to scan back without blurring image.
GTB
Old 05-01-14, 08:33 PM

Great badges! When you say you i.d.'ed the constable do you mean Connolly? If so can you share? I have a interest in this unit, so would be most interested to hear about anything you may have!

Regards,

Dave
Old 05-01-14, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-73k View Post
Great badges! When you say you i.d.'ed the constable do you mean Connolly? If so can you share? I have a interest in this unit, so would be most interested to hear about anything you may have!
Hi Dave

Not sure if your comment is addressed to me, but the answer is no, not Connolly but this chap I found in a family photo album inherited from an uncle in Dublin:

Palestine Police Constable '297', W.C. Castle in Summer uniform.

One of two photographs from an album inherited from a late uncle - written in pencil on the reverse is “Summer Uniform”. He was probably a school/church/scouting friend of my uncle, and therefore may have hailed from Dublin - as far as I am aware he was not a family member.

According to the PRO File Ref: WO 100/510, ‘297’ was Temp A/Brit Sgt W.C. Castle.
Reference: WO 100/510 - General Service Medal 1918-1962: Clasp Palestine: Trans Jordan Frontier Force, Palestine Police (http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ndex=1&page=32)
Last viewed: 01/01/2014.

Palestine Police Constable '297', W.C. Castle in Summer patrol uniform.

The second of two photographs from an album inherited from a late uncle - written in pencil on the reverse is “Summer Uniform/Leaving on patrol/K......... Jerusalem/......... 1937”.

Best

Graham
Old 10-01-14, 02:34 AM

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the pics and information, love the Dublin connection! A lot of ex-RIC joined the Palestine Police after disbandment in 1922. But they had been going out there before that. Many of the Auxiliary Division, the 'Auxies', joined it to.

In the mid-1990's an old lady I met through work gave me a Mother-of-Pearl P.P. sweetheart badge send to her by her boyfriend who was in the P.P. She was to leave Dublin and go out and marry him, but her father, who was one of the last Q/Sgts of the Connaught Rangers would not let her go! She kept the badge and eventually married someone else! Some 70 years later she dug it out and gave it to me!!

Dave
Old 19-01-14, 03:42 PM

As an aside on this thread on a recent visit to the Photo department of the Imperial War Museum I found a small series of photos of the Palestine Police, mainly of local constables taken in May 1946. From memory there are about a dozen.

They are in the E photo series starting with E31899.

Jon