British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-08, 01:32 PM

Default Public & Secondary Schools Cadet Assocation

Have just acquired a brass cap badge, pair of collar badges and set of 5 large and six small buttons from the PSSCA (The Public and Secondary Schools Cadet Assocation). Seems these were worn by units of the Junior Division of the OTC prior to them being granted CCF status . Will post pictures when I get the chance. Anyone else ever seen these ? Are they scarce ? Any info happily received. Thanks in advance

OC14
Old 14-08-08, 09:32 PM
David Douglas

Default Pssca

Not common but neither was this a military organisation - it was quasi-military often wholly funded by the school in question. Regards. David
Old 15-08-08, 09:03 AM
Badge Guru

The phoenix rising from the ashes? I always thought that was the Public Schools Senior Cadet Association. A quick google confirms I am correct.
Old 15-08-08, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
The phoenix rising from the ashes? I always thought that was the Public Schools Senior Cadet Association. A quick google confirms I am correct.
A quick google confirms that you are WRONG oh badge guru ! Check the website for Northumbria ACF - look at the section dealing with the history of the ACF - the PSSCA is as stated The Public and Secondary Schools Cadets Association.

Thanks for your input anyway !

OC14
Old 15-08-08, 12:47 PM
Badge Guru

I suggest you write the Northumbrian ACF and point out that the phoenix rising from the ashes refers to the "senior" Cadets.

From Bosleys:

See Lot 23.

http://www.bosleys.net/P36.html

See Lot 188

http://www.bosleys.net/p38.htm

...........also see Keith Ralwlings book "British Military Badges".

I own one of these badges. Does yours cap badge have lugs or a slider?

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 15-08-08 at 01:30 PM.
Old 23-08-08, 09:55 AM

Both the cap and collar badges have lugs. Suggest you contact both Bosleys and Rawlins and let them know that the badges are those of the Public Secondary Schools Cadets Association and have nothing whatsoever to do with "Senior Cadets". Still dont believe me ? Check out the website for Christs College Finchley and look at the CCF History section. Alternatively, have a look at www.mod.co.uk and type in Combined Cadet Force History. Who do you think is the more reliable source, someone who sells the badges at auction OR the MOD who assumed responsibilty for the PSSCA in 1938.

OC14

PS
It may be just me but I do sometimes find the tone of your responses somewhat patronising and/or confrontational, I may not have the self appointed title of "badge guru" but I have been seriously collecting badges since 1969 and have been (and still am) a serving member of HM forces since 1976