British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-13, 07:44 AM

A few more great photos (thanks again to Sunbeam) of Alfred Sloan and a couple of his brother Monty.

The following photo is titled “Spring Grove camp 1913.” Alf is identified by Sunbeam as being in the third row, fifth from the left.
Interestingly the Canterbury Military District Territorial camp was held in March 1913 at Yaldhurst, which at the time included 17 officers and 531 men of the 12th (Nelson) Regiment. So it appears the Spring Grove camp (IMO 25th, 26th, and 27th October 1913) was held in the Spring Grove school grounds, for men of the 12th Regiment who were unable to attend the Yaldhurst Territorial camp.
The big guy (2nd row, sixth from the right) is the camps main instructor, Staff-Sergeant-Major Colclough.

The following photo is important as it just about completes the “Service Dress” jackets that were worn by Alf during WW1.
The photo unfortunately is undated, however, as Alf is wearing a New Zealand issue ‘1912 pattern Territorial Ordinary Ranks SD jacket,’ and taking into account Alf was a ‘Main body’ man, and that as the New Zealand uniforms wore out in Egypt, England and France, they were replaced by British five-button SD jackets, we can assess the photo was definitely taken prior to Alf’s embarkation on the 16th October 1914.
Alf is also wearing a typical New Zealand manufactured 1912 version of the ‘Model 1905 British Other Ranks Service Dress Cap,’ which would have been made by Bing Harris and Company in Dunedin.
This would have been the very hat and uniform that Alf was wearing when he first stepped ashore at Gallipoli in 1915.
The NZ SD jacket Alf is wearing would have most likely been manufactured by the Kaiapoi Woollen Manufacturing Company. The badges on the collar and hat are as expected, those of the 12th (Nelson) Regiment. The shoulder boards were piped in red which indicates infantry, and have a brass number 12 over the letters NZR (New Zealand Rifles)

The following photo shows Montague Haydon Sloan just before he embarked with the Wellington Infantry Battalion’s 2nd Reinforcements.
Unlike the Main Body men who were supplied their uniforms through their own Regimental stores, the 2nd Reinforcements and all following reinforcements were supplied their uniforms on arrival at Trentham Camp.
Monty is also wearing the New Zealand 1912 pattern Territorial Ordinary Ranks SD jacket and cap, and on his pants you can see piping which would have been red to match the piping on the shoulder boards.
Monty is not wearing any regimental badges, as at this point he had not been officially assigned to a company. He is however wearing brass ‘NZR’ shoulder titles.

The following photo shows Monty sporting a superb moustache and wearing a British Issue Other Ranks Five-button Service Dress Jacket.
The easy to spot difference between the war-time New Zealand issue and British issue SD Jacket, is the British made jackets have two distinctive stich lines (known as darts) just below the collar, extending to the rifle patches, whereas the New Zealand made jackets only have one dart.
However just to confuse uniform collectors, from 1918 (and post war) British Service Dress jackets were produced with only one dart.
The 12th (Nelson) Regiment collar badges worn by Monty suggest the photo was taken sometime between the 20th of February 1916 and the 18th July 1917.

Old 04-08-13, 01:31 AM

Here is an original example of a WW1 SD cap, with a bronze other ranks 12th Nelson Infantry cap badge ,small New Zealand Forces buttons on the side.Made by the Kaiapoi Woollen manufacturing company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12th Nelson Infantry .jpg (37.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 13-08-13, 08:13 AM

Again thanks to Sunbeam I have another great picture of Sergeant Alfred Sloan to share.
This one is not dated, but it does have Alf’s age “23 years and 6 months” written on the back, which helps date the photo as being taken shortly after August 1916.

Incredibly, with this latest picture, we now have a collection of uniform photographs that date 1913, 1914-1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918. (Something you just don’t get to see that often)

PS Super nice cap Puk
Old 26-09-13, 08:16 AM

One of the greatest resources this forum has to offer is information, and it never ceases to amaze me the lengths that some people go to, just to answer my questions or my demands for photos.

As a NZ military hat researcher and collector, it was a real treat to see pictures of Sergeant Alfred Sloan’s lemon squeezer hat (post #30), and the uniformed photos of Alf and Monty are just fantastic.

Well thanks again to Sunbeam who mentioned to me that a cousin still had Alf’s uniform, we now have the following pictures of Alf’s British tailored (Private purchase) jacket, which is pictured in post #30.

Old 27-09-13, 11:44 PM

Default Two family photos in full uniform

Two of my family photo's I fixed up a while back.

First is Oliver Charles Atkins New Zealand Rifle Brigade Embarkation Unit 4th Battalion A Company Embarkation Date 5 February 1916

Second is George Norman Lucas New Zealand Expeditionary Force 36th Reinforcements Field Artillery Embarkation Date 23 April 1918

Out of interest what exactly on Atkins would the stripes represent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oliver Charles Atkins small.jpg (47.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg George Norman Lucas small.jpg (32.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 28-09-13, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Two of my family photo's I fixed up a while back.

First is Oliver Charles Atkins New Zealand Rifle Brigade Embarkation Unit 4th Battalion A Company Embarkation Date 5 February 1916

Second is George Norman Lucas New Zealand Expeditionary Force 36th Reinforcements Field Artillery Embarkation Date 23 April 1918

Out of interest what exactly on Atkins would the stripes represent.
Corporal stripes
Old 07-11-13, 09:01 AM

Lance Corporal Alfred Kennedy Sloan, A Company, 12th Nelson Regiment, NZEF

The “regimental badges, various curios, and fragments of shrapnel,” that were collected by Lance Corporal Alfred Kennedy Sloan (Service No. 6/352), are the earliest known collection of military badges to be publicly displayed in New Zealand during WW1.

Over the years Alfs Sloan’s collection of WW1 related items has been distributed amongst his family, and thanks to the great efforts of Sunbeam, we have been very fortunate to view some remarkable photos of Alf, along with his WW1 uniform.

In regards to Alf’s collection of “regimental badges, various curios, and fragments of shrapnel,” these appear to have been collected prior to the landing at Gallipoli on the 25th April 1915, so it is very possible that the “fragments of shrapnel” came from the first major action of New Zealanders in the war. —

“It was at Serapeum on 2 February (1915) that the 12th Nelson Company of the Canterburys had the first major action of New Zealanders in the war. Turkish soldiers attempted a crossing of the canal in aluminium pontoon boats. Heavy rifle fire from Major Brereton’s Nelson Company sank most of the boats and caused many casualties. This day also saw the first New Zealanders casualties: ‘We had … one man wounded, Bill Ham, of 10 platoon, but the poor chap died the next day.’ … Sergeant Williams of 9 platoon was also wounded by Turkish shrapnel.”

Just for the badge nuts among us, I did as ask Sunbeam if there was any knowledge of the whereabouts regarding Alf’s collection of “regimental badges.”
Sunbeam spoke to her mothers older sister (nearly 93), who fortunately for us recalls when “growing up that Alf had a soft leather bag with a lot of badges and things in it from WW1, they used to play with them and that they went to her brother and then to his son.”
The whereabouts of these badges today are currently unknown, but who knows, they may just turn up in the hands of a distant family member.
Old 25-01-14, 10:15 PM

Private Davis Wi Rihia, A Company, 1st Maori Contingent, NZEF.
The following picture of Private Wi Rihia taken on the 1st January 1916, was originally posted by Pukman (post# 117) in the Maori Pioneer Patch thread.
“He has hand written note on the front of the photo. — Just after the battle.”
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...t=22199&page=8

The positioning of the red and black Maori Battalion patch above the stretcher bearers armband is unique in that these patches were normally only worn on the SD hat and a larger version was worn on the Sun helmet.
One can only wonder if the collection of badges on his belt were given in gratitude for his services as stretcher bearer during the Gallipoli campaign.

Old 26-01-14, 12:05 AM

Its a pity that someone decided to put a drawing pin through his hat badge !!!,which is a NZ Medical Corp one .His file could make interesting reading

Here is a sharper image of the belt, definitely a NZMR shoulder title ,maybe an officers pip, any ideas about the cross ????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16 - 429 Davis Wi Rihia 001_crop_crop.jpg (60.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by pukman; 26-01-14 at 12:32 AM.
Old 26-01-14, 01:50 AM

Hi Iain,
I think the badge on Pte. Rihia's belt is like this one, attached.
Forum members identified it some time ago as a Royal Malta Artillery shoulder strap badge.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cross.jpg (55.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 26-01-14, 03:36 AM

Thanks Tinto,

The Maori battalion were garrisoned on Malta for a short time ,so that's where he might have picked the badge up from.

Cheers Iain
Old 15-02-14, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Iain,
I think the badge on Pte. Rihia's belt is like this one, attached.
Forum members identified it some time ago as a Royal Malta Artillery shoulder strap badge.
Cheers, Tinto
Tinto, the meeting of the Wellington Military Collectors club was held at Bob Hammonds place last Sunday, old Bob served as in Korea with the NZ Artillery and just happens to have a world class collection of Artillery badges.

When it comes to New Zealand Artillery badge knowledge, old Bob is the expert, and after viewing his peacetime and wartime photos I was amazed that in all photos he got away with wearing a large size NZ Artillery gun badge when everybody were wearing the smaller size NZ Artillery gun badge on their lemon squeezers and berets.

Eventually I remembered the Malta cross from this thread and mentioned this to Bob who new exactly what I was talking about. After a bit of a search we found the board with his Malta Artillery badge collection. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me, but sure enough, below one of the Malta Artillery cap badges were two of these artillery collar badges, which are identical to the badge described as a "Royal Malta Artillery shoulder strap badge."
Old 15-02-14, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Tinto, the meeting of the Wellington Military Collectors club was held at Bob Hammonds place last Sunday, old Bob served as in Korea with the NZ Artillery and just happens to have a world class collection of Artillery badges.

When it comes to New Zealand Artillery badge knowledge, old Bob is the expert, and after viewing his peacetime and wartime photos I was amazed that in all photos he got away with wearing a large size NZ Artillery gun badge when everybody were wearing the smaller size NZ Artillery gun badge on their lemon squeezers and berets.

Eventually I remembered the Malta cross from this thread and mentioned this to Bob who new exactly what I was talking about. After a bit of a search we found the board with his Malta Artillery badge collection. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me, but sure enough, below one of the Malta Artillery cap badges were two of these artillery collar badges, which are identical to the badge described as a "Royal Malta Artillery shoulder strap badge."
That's interesting, Brent. Thanks for the information.
Regards, Tinto
Old 28-05-14, 03:22 AM

The following picture looks like a standard WW1 badge belt, but this one is rather unique in that it is described as. ―
“TAKEN FROM A GERMAN PRISONER CAPTURED AT GALLIPOLI: A BELT STUDDED WITH BUTTONS AND OTHER FACINGS TAKEN FROM THE UNIFORMS OF NEW ZEALANDERS AND AUSTRALIANS.”

The picture and description were published in the Auckland Weekly News on the 1st June 1916 (p043).

IMO the belt itself was probably put together by an allied soldier, and then taken as a souvenir by the German that it was captured from, or may just be a bit of allied propaganda. Regardless it rates as probably the earliest known badge belt captured from a German.