British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-12, 06:15 PM

Default Mix up at the Quartermasters store

Heres a portrait of Trooper Edward Geary.He's a Southland lad,born raised and schooled.,who enlisted down here,joined the Otago Mounted Rifles,9th reinforcementsThe photograph was taken while on final leave,prior to sailing,in Invercargill.. He is wearing straight NZMR shoulder titles and a numeral 9 (for 9th reinforcements).......and 6th Hauraki Infantry badges.

Imagine his indignation,it just not right,poor chap.I think someone is paying a practical joke on him.Southland lads don't wear Auckland gear.

On a sober note,Geary was transfered to 8th company ,Otago infantry and killed in action at the Somme 15/9/1916
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edward Geary.jpg (47.4 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by pukman; 27-01-12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 28-01-12, 12:20 AM

Iain, are you 100% sure it is a picture of Trooper Edward Geary?
Old 28-01-12, 04:01 AM

Yes Brent 100%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E Geary.jpg (82.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 28-01-12, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Yes Brent 100%
Good to clear that up because I am sure you know there were two Edward Geary's that were killed in action, of which the other did embark with the Auckland infantry.

Have you checked Geary's service file?

My thinking is Geary either had previous service with the 6th Hauraki Territorials, or the more likely scenario is that on his hearing that the Otago Mounteds were to be used to create half of the new Pioneer Battalion that was being formed around that time from the Maori Battalion, Geary decided on transferring to the infantry and was posted to the Hauraki's.
Old 28-01-12, 08:30 AM

Hi Brent,
even a third independant named photo confirms that this is deffinately Trooper Geary.Being on my local roll of honour he has been in he sights for a long time.I got his photo this week.I have his record ,he never left this fair province other than to train,fight and die for New Zealand.The photo was taken on his final leave home,prior to sailing.

If any one has the Iconic ''New Zealanders at War'' by Michael King theres a picture of roll of honour for the Hokonui lads (served as well as killed in action) on the final page.
Unfortunately long gone, replaced by a 1950's replacement.

But why the Auckland infantry badge ?who knows

Last edited by pukman; 28-01-12 at 06:44 PM.
Old 28-01-12, 11:53 PM

Iain, on the opposite page of the Hokonui Roll of Honour is the Soldiers section at Karori Cemetary where my Great Grandfather rests in plot 2 J/3.

I was at Karori cemetary a couple of weeks ago visiting family and took the following photos.

These following photos were not in the Soldiers section and are not connected to me in anyway, I just found it interesting that the chap on the right is named "John Thomas" and the chap on the left is named "Kong Dick."

Old 31-01-12, 06:02 AM

there's one in every bunch.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpzGZynQPM.jpg (69.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 31-01-12, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
there's one in every bunch.............
What was he thinking
Old 24-03-12, 07:18 PM

If this next batch of photo's doesn't convince you that the New Zealand army in WW1 was not British like in regards to badge wearing ,then you'll never be convinced.

Shoulder titles worn on collars and hats,patriotic Royal tin pinback badges,two badges on the hat and foriegn badges as well.Any thing goes!!!!

I'm sure things got more regimented when they arrived in the training camps overseas,but standards were fairly relaxed before that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpEORYeDPM.jpg (25.4 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg phpFOjUJiPM.jpg (29.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg phpLjq2MXPM.jpg (30.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg php2Ffv33PM.jpg (34.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg phpJAIBT3PM.jpg (28.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 27-03-12, 08:35 PM

Some more badges to ponder over.(1)The large Ruahine badge worn overseas .(2)The Large fern badge which is sometimes referred to as a Boer war era fern,actually worn by Headquarters staff.(3) A unreferenced 22nd Reinforcement badge(4) Shoulder title ''New Zealand'' worn on felt hat.

Hope you enjoy the photo's

cheers Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Private W P Hansen.jpg (30.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Serg Major PA De Loree .jpg (29.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Private G Paterson.jpg (21.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Private N F Burnett.jpg (28.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 24-09-13, 06:50 PM

Here's a badge that you won't see everyday .The Auckland Mounted Rifles band .The picture was taken in the Middle East in WW1.

The Auckland Mounted rifles Band became the band of the New Zealand Mounted rifles brigade on September 1917 but retained its name.. All units of the New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade supported the maintenance of the band. Smaller versions of the cap badge were worn as collar badges .

I haven't seen one in a collection or being sold .If there is anyone with a detailed photo of one ,please post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg band.jpg (48.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg band_leader.jpg (29.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Band 001.jpg (51.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 29-09-13, 07:28 AM

While the corporal in this photo wears a musician's proficiency patch on his sleeve similar in design to this one ,the design is different to his cap badge, which is specific to the AMR band .The latter badge isn't in any of the Oldham's price catalogues that I can see .He also wears 3rd AMR collars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 285888033_crop.jpg (32.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by pukman; 29-09-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 30-09-13, 06:58 PM

I have in contact with Geoff Oldham, author of 3rd editions of the NZ badge price guide .He said that he has not seen this particular badge either .It will be a matter of all interested people ,to try to find a original badge ,so that we can reinstate this in modern reference books ,for what it is .A very rare NZMR badge worn in the latter half of WW1 ,in the Middle East .

After all, David Corbett pointed this badge out in the bible of NZ badges in the early 1980's .It's up to us modern researchers to pick up the ball and keep running !!!
Old 06-10-13, 07:29 AM

Something a bit different ,a NZRB Battalion Headquarters patch on a service dress mixed with NZMC badges. Worn by Private Daniel Metge 3/1781
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (36.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by pukman; 06-10-13 at 07:36 AM.
Old 19-10-13, 06:55 PM

My latest find. Private Herbert(Bert) Gavin Mowat ,18th reinforcements B company ,Wellington Infantry brigade .Also Legion of Frontiersmen No 13025 .

Died of disease(pleurisy) in England on the 4/6/1917.

The item of interest in Bert's photo is his belt .He is wearing a white ,buff leather Union locket belt .On the belt buckle centre is a Victorian crown surmounted with a lion and 'Dieu Et mon Droit'. Obvious a relic from the early volunteer days ,but also worn by members of 1st NZEF in limited roles.

Some members of the Samoan Relief force wore a brown walking out union locket belt .The white buff union locket belt is seen in pictures (as seen in photo's of Wil Lawson's ,Historic Trentham,page 116),by members of the Trentham Camp military police, C.M.P

I quizzed Barry O'Sullivan, author of 'New Zealand New Zealand personal equipment 1910-1945 ',as the belt appears on page 55 of the first volume. Of course Barry has found the new information ,but it's too late to alter what already appears in the book .

The amendment should read ''During WW1 white buff belts with the union locket were worn by camp military police and others on guard duty at expeditionary force training camps ''(In New Zealand)

Unfortunately Private Mowat's army file is not online to see if he fits the demographic .Further research to be done!!!

Also pictured ,a member of the Samoan Relief Force wearing the rare reinforcement badge of that unit and a brown union locket belt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpNjTcj6AM.jpg (13.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Mowat 001_crop.jpg (40.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Samoan Relief...jpg (51.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by pukman; 19-10-13 at 07:09 PM.