British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-06-11, 11:12 AM

Default Port Divers, Shallow Water Divers & Underwater Force Protection Divers

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me a bit about the badge pictured below?
It is printed so I assume it was for wear on the old No 8 Action Working Dress (now No 4s) I have seen it in red on navy blue also, but can anyone answer the following:

Where was the badge worn? on the cuff or on the upper arm?

Was it worn on its own or under a diving helmet badge?

When was it worn, What time period?

I know about the old RNR/WRNR Port divers of the 1980's-early 90s who were part of the Seaward Defence branch (along with the Port Defence Parties)but as far as I knew they only wore a ships divers badge!

The modern RNR now has a Force Protection branch (that grew out of the old seaman branch) that also has Underwater Force Protection Divers, Does anyone know what the Force Protection branch badge looks like? (or are they still using the old seaman branch shackle and spike?)

Do the Underwater Force Protection divers have their own branch badge? and what does it look like? or do they wear just a divers helmet on the cuff like the old ships divers?

I often see RN divers badges with the letters SW ( I assume for shallow water?) on ebay, What were the RN shallow water divers? When did they exists? And what was the difference from Shallow Water divers, Clearence Divers, Port Divers and Ships Divers?

The RN Clearence Diver branch also includes Very Shallow Water (VSW) Divers who (I believe) carry out a beach recce and clearence role (similar to the old USN UDT divers) do they have a different branch badge or just the standard clearence diver badge?

Anyone have any images of the PD or SW badge being worn?

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Port Diver No8s.jpg (71.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-08-11, 11:05 AM

Default RNR FLEET PROTECTION

HI ASKED A SERVING GUY ABOUT FORCE PROTECTION ROLE OF RNR AND THIS IS HIS ANSWER

"The Force Protection role for the RNR came into being about 2005. RNR personnel from the GSSR branch (General Service Seamen Reserve) started to be mobilised to 'S' Squadron FPGRM (Fleet Protection Group Royal Marines) at Faslane. This was to take some of the work load from the Booties as they had plenty of other commitments i.e. OP Telic/Helic, etc. This proved to be very successful in fact rather too successful as FPGRM realised they could release more guys for ''boots on the ground'' ops.

The demand for more personnel has lead to the formation of ''P'' Squadron which has been raised to provide Force Protection to platforms world-wide. 'P' Sqdn is made up of full-time RN personel and mobilised Reservists it works within FPGRM at Faslane and works under RM rules! enough said.
Matelots usually get draughted there for 2 years. 'P' Sqdn is obviously a new concept and was only up and running at strength from January 11. Although the reserves have been doing the job for some years.
It's a gunner's paradise and also anyone who thought about wearing CS95's for a living.
As for branch badges once you are a member of 'P' sqdn you wear the FPGRM flash. CS95's are your working rig, pack away your No8's for 2 years. You do wear No1's when required to do so. 'P' sqdn is made up of all branch's even submariners you keep your own branch badge on your 1's.
As regarding the RNR they wear the Warfare Seamen branch badge with 'SEA' along the bottom on there No8's/No1's. This is so the regulars can recognise us as a branch.
Prior to this we had a badge which no one (regular or reserve) could recognise, This branch was called GSSR which was just a stop gap until we got 'SEA' badges.
Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM4378.jpg (26.2 KB, 20 views)