British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-06-10, 01:47 PM

Default COPP Insignia

Hi All, Does anyone out there know what insignia would have been worn by members of the WW2 Combined Operations Pilotage Parties?

I know that they did wear the Combined Operations badge I believe in a tombstone configeration. At the Submarine museum at Fort Blockhouse, Gosport they did have a small display of mini subs and canoes including some photos of COPPs, in one was a naval officer wearing a proofed cavas camouflaged smock with a printed white on navy blue ROYAL NAVY shoulder title above the combined operations badge! I have read that the RN personnel wore RN COMMANDO titles and Royal Marine and Army personnel wore COMMANDO SBS titles but think this is unlikely as not all COPPists were commando trained, the army personnel were mostly Royal Engineers, to my knowledge the only evidence of the COMMANDO SBS title beaing worn is by members of the Special Boat Sections of the Army Commandos (though I believe some members of this unit along with members of the RM Boom Patrol Detachment did transfer to the COPPS)
I would think it likely that Royal Marines within the unit would continue to wear RM titles?

Any information supported by evidence or a reputible reference would be greatfully recieved!
Old 04-06-10, 03:21 PM

Default COPP Insignia

Sailorbear,
You may want to look at the following guide I posted around two years ago on e-Bay:
http://reviews.ebay.com/WWII-British...:-1:LISTINGS:3
Although not totally definitive, it does incorporate a reasonable amount of research on the specific subject. The photograph I referenced in the guide is from the book, Commandos and Rangers of World War II, Ladd, James D., St. Martin's Press, New York, 1978, ISBN 0 312 15167 5. Page 64 shows a Lieut., RNVR and a naval rating in battledress, in a posed photo in a COPP configured 'Folbot' canoe, both wearing what I believe is a RN Commando title and Combined Operations tombstone. One of the best sources for photographs is the book, Stealthily by Night, Clandestine beach reconnaissance and operations in World War II, COPP(Combined Operations Pilotage Parties), Trenowden, Ian, Crecy Books Ltd., 1995, ISBN 0 947554 54 8. The book is the only one I have ever found solely dedicated to the COPPs. It is a fairly comprehensive work with unique photographs (from former COPPists) and extensive appendices. Two other books with substantial coverage of the COPPs are; SBS The Invisible Raiders, Ladd, James D., Arms and Armour Press, London, 1983, ISBN 0 85368 593 2, and SBS The Inside Story of the Special Boat Service, Parker, John, Headline Book Publishing, London, 1997, ISBN 0 7472 1976 1. Not certain of current availability.
Hope this is of some assistance.
Arnhemjim

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 04-06-10 at 07:24 PM. Reason: additional data
Old 05-06-10, 12:03 AM

Great link with good information.

Thank you posting it for us newer members
Old 26-06-11, 09:47 PM

Coming to this one a little (!) late, but I just wanted to confirm that Royal Engineer members of COPP did wear the curved 'COMMANDO' badge (red lettering on dark blue/black - depending on your vision!). I believe they did their Commando training at HMS Armadillo, while the Navy bods did theirs in Ardentinny, before reuniting at the COPP base at Hayling Island.