British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-10, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Interestingly these dubious ones all have the same unmarked sliders and typre of construction where the reverse has a die struck appearance.

The East Surreys did not have a TA Bn after 1958 as it had merged with the West Surreys and had a new badge. The Hants Carbineers comes from this maker and I would be interested in Chris's records show that they were authorised for issue in a/a or not.

Alan
Old 01-03-10, 06:35 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I quite agree with you Alan, and further examples turning up regularly makes me even more suspicious of certain anodised badges that just wern't around even 10 years ago.
Old 01-03-10, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot to add the full sized Fife and Forfar Yeomanry to my list of untrustworthy ones.
Old 01-03-10, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I forgot to add the full sized Fife and Forfar Yeomanry to my list of untrustworthy ones.
If this was the one with the knight on a horse then as far as I can tell this one did not even get as far as being officially authorised for issue and if I remember correctly they come with the same unmarked sliders as the Royal Warwickshire Regiment ones come with.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-03-10, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Chris,

That is the one.

Alan
Old 01-03-10, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Chris,

That is the one.

Alan
Hi Alan,

The one with the knight on a horse with the 'X' was officially authorised and it cost three shillings and five pennies each so was issued.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-03-10, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Chris,

That is not the F&F Yeomanry badge but its successor unit after it amalgmated with the Scottish Horse. The F&F Yeo wore a black beret with the full sized horse and rider in w/m and after that a smaller beret version.

Alan
Old 01-03-10, 07:43 PM

Hi Alan,

I have it recorded as:

Fife and Forfar Yeomanry/Scottish Horse (Correctly known as the Highland Yeomanry)

in my books appendix.

Is this correct?

Can you check this for me...

1. Priced at 3 shillings and 5 pennies each.

2. The correct designation of this badge is the Highland Yeomanry which replaced the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry and Scottish Horse in 1956.

3. This badge is described by Edwards as "...A knight in armour mounted on a horse caparisoned (the County badge of Fire, known as the Thain of Fife) superimposed on St. Andrew's Cross...".

Regards

Chris
Old 01-03-10, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Chris,

That is the right title for the badge but it is for an amalgamated unit whose 2 constituent parts could not agree on a title hence that mouthful with both unit names in it!

The F&F Yeo badge that I was thinking of is the pre 1956 one without the cross and in larger size. I would be very surprised if it was authorised for issue before 1956.
Alan
Old 03-03-10, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

I have quickly checked my collection and I have the following examples which have the blank 'Gaunt-style' sliders and imprinted reverses:

F&F Yeomanry
Warwickshire Regt
South Staffs
Loyal Suffolk Hussars (full size)
Royal Ulster Rifles (K/C)

I have also handled:

9th Lancers
Hants Carbineers Yeo k/c

IMO these are all suspect and unlikely to be contempory.

In addition I have a number of blank but solid flat backed 'Firmin-style' slidered badges. These are for far less exciting (or rare) units.
Old 03-03-10, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I have quickly checked my collection and I have the following examples which have the blank 'Gaunt-style' sliders and imprinted reverses:

F&F Yeomanry
Warwickshire Regt
South Staffs
Loyal Suffolk Hussars (full size)
Royal Ulster Rifles (K/C)

I have also handled:

9th Lancers
Hants Carbineers Yeo k/c

IMO these are all suspect and unlikely to be contempory.

In addition I have a number of blank but solid flat backed 'Firmin-style' slidered badges. These are for far less exciting (or rare) units.
Hi Alan,

Sounds about right - a couple were officially authorised for issue (South Staffs and Royal Ulster Rifles (K/C) rings a bell) but I don't think the Royal Ulster Rifles (K/C) got anywhere near bulk production - I'd have to check my notes though.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 03-03-10 at 09:28 PM.