British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-08, 10:09 AM

Default Scottish Horse

I've just noticed this ebay badge for the Scottish Horse which is identical to one I have. Being brooch pinned I very much doubt it's a restrike so can anyone explain while this is in die cast whitemetal rather than die stamped?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BADGE-SCOTTISH...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-03-08, 08:30 PM

As all the books i have only mention this badge made in white metal, i wondered if any one else has a brass one like mine which i think is genuine and the added bonus of the pink stuff.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochim View Post
As all the books i have only mention this badge made in white metal, i wondered if any one else has a brass one like mine which i think is genuine and the added bonus of the pink stuff.

Cheers
Malc
I have this one, same Scottish Crown pattern as the whitemetal thread starter with voids. I don't think the brass one is incorrect as the collars I have are also in this metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK.1387. The Scottish Horse. F.jpg (64.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-03-08, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Could the w/m one not be an NCO's arm badge? Thses would be more likely to be die cast rather than the struck cap badges.

Alan
Old 03-03-08, 06:48 PM

The attached might be of interest

No 7 is said to be ORs head dress badge -white metal on bonnet,gilding metal on slouch hat
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-03-08, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Could the w/m one not be an NCO's arm badge? Thses would be more likely to be die cast rather than the struck cap badges.

Alan
Alan,

Good point and one I hadn't thought of. Just to add to the confusion:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scottish-Horse...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-03-08, 10:56 PM

Interesting lot there, especially the cloth titles. I find them odd for two main reasons:

(1) they are printed (and look a bit dodgy!) - I would expect embroidered if anything as I do not believe the War Office would have authorized these titles being made.

(2) the colours are also not what I would expect. In Litchfield's 'The Territorial Artillery 1908-1988' he mentions that officers of the Scottish Horse are believed to have worn red-on-blue titles (as they were then part of the Royal Artillery, 79th & 80th Medium Regiments). The colours seen on these titles are the same as for the Lothians and Border Yeomanry and Lothians & Border Horse.

Any other suspicions?

Dean
Old 04-03-08, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=8thfoot;4457]The attached might be of interest

No 7 is said to be ORs head dress badge -white metal on bonnet,gilding metal on slouch hat
P.B.

Peter,

thank you for digging that article out. I always wondered why the badge came in 2 metals. Some Yeomanry changed from GM to WM post WW2 but the Bonnet/Slouch hat difference for the SH is very clear and I have learnt something again.

Alan
Old 04-03-08, 04:26 PM

Thanks Alan,
The caption also says-No 5 Officers Headress badge,1906, worn in silver on the bonnet and forage cap and in gilt on the slouch hat.

The illustration is from Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force No 8 The Lovat Scouts and Scotish Horse by Barlow and Smith. The badges are from Keith Hooks collection.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”