British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-08, 09:16 PM

Default Grey and Simcoe Foresters Officers Badge?

Hi all, some time ago I picked up this odd badge which was labled as an officers badge. When compared to the common ORs version there are several differences which might indicate that this is in fact an officers issue. However, the quality of the badge leaves much to be desired. While it is "frosted" silvered and the banner is gilted the overall flatness of the badge along with the round piercings in the crown lead me to believe that this is, at best a low quality officers issue or at worst a repro. From previous posts I note that the G&SF is not on the list of fakes, yet.....maybe we should add it to the list. Does anyone else have an example that we can all look at? The badge in question is the one on the right.

Cheers,

Greg

BTW appoligies for the poor photo aspect on the last pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSFOR1-1.jpg (41.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg GSFOR2-1.jpg (43.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg GSFOR3-1.jpg (60.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 29-03-08, 12:17 AM
Banned

My old unit 5th generation forrester. Greg this badge has been worn but on the same token this unit never had a KC badge that was a screamer so I believe your piece is right on IMO

PAUL
Old 29-03-08, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Default Comparison

Greg, Here the obverse and reverse of a Grey & Simcoe Foresters' officer's cap badge in my collection. It was frosted silver and frosted gilt, but as you can see the finish is worn. There is quite a difference in quality between your badge and this one.
The badge came from the estate of an officer who was from North Bay, and joined the G & SF when they were mobilized in 1940. (The G &SF were given permission to recruit from the northeastern area of the province, and a company of soldiers and officers joined the G &SF prior to the Algonquin's being mobilized.)
Officer's badges to the G&SF are very difficult to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grey & simcoe foresters off ob.jpg (53.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg grey & simcoe foresters off rev.jpg (48.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 30-03-08, 10:32 PM

Well Bill, I like your much more than the one I have. For the moment I'll treat my badge with more respect but look to upgrade it ASAP.

Thanks for showing yours. Does the regiment exist today?

Greg
Old 30-03-08, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Very much so. Still contributing to the defence of Canada. Like all reserve units they are changing to meet the times. They have sent a considerable number of soldiers to Afghanistan.
Old 31-03-08, 02:40 AM

Thanks Bill, I'll google them and see what thier current offoicers badge is like - bullion or metal. Maybe I can pick one up via thier kit shop.

G
Old 12-07-14, 05:21 AM

Default The Grey and Simcoes should be in the Infantry Section.

They began life as infantry in the 1860s, and that's the Corps they have been part of since 1970 - double the length of time that most of its current members have been alive.