British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-11, 06:59 PM
Peter J

Default RMLI Postcards

Picked these up recently and thought they might be of interest:

RMLI 4.jpg RMLI Group.jpg

Would anyone know if those cap tally badges (below) are integral or separate...

Badge close up.JPG

Regards,

PJ
Old 29-08-11, 10:34 AM

Default Are they RMLI?

Hi PJ
Are the ORs actually RMLI? The OC(?) in the centre obviously is but could the remainder be Naval Ratings perhaps? Do you know the year of this picture?
The nearest I have seen to that badge (for Marines) is the Crimean era shoulder badge.
Ray
Old 29-08-11, 10:49 AM
Banned

It is interesting that you refer to the RMLI when the artifacts displayed in the second photograph are artillery related. David
Old 29-08-11, 11:47 AM
Banned

My initial thoughts on the second postcard were exactly the question that has been asked.

Given the Gunnery / Artillery items in the foreground and also that they seem to be wearing Naval caps?

The RMLI SNCO in the centre appears to be wearing a Brodrick cap so I would guess that the photo could be dated to between 1903 and 1906 or possibly a little later.

Ry
Old 29-08-11, 01:54 PM
Peter J

Thanks for the replies, gents.

The reason I stated RMLI was purely down to the visible badges (other than those on the cap tallies which I have never seen before) being to that unit.

In the first postcard, two of the four badges are clearly RMLI (stringed bugle-horn above wreathed globe) and in the second, the SNCO's badge is the same.

Ray - I am afraid I have no idea as to date, and thanks very much for the suggestion of Crimean-era shoulder badge. Most interesting.

David - I had not considered the artillery-related artefacts; thanks for introducing that point.

Ry - This RMLI issue is something you raised privately with me last night, so I am pleased that this is now open for discussion within the thread.

Thanks again, chaps.

PJ
Old 29-08-11, 02:14 PM

Im sure I have a postcard of French Marines that look very similar to these guys. I will try to find it.

Regards

Phil

Tags
rmli postcards