British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-20, 02:55 PM

Default E Yorks Cyclists and Army Cyclist Corps

Would welcome comments and thoughts on the following:

I think it is 5th[ Cyclists] Battn East Yorkshire Regt
looks original with broken slider BP&Co Ltd but ...

Army Cyclist Corps
a popular one for copies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200303_130722.jpg (80.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 20200303_130736.jpg (80.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20200303_130814.jpg (54.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-03-20, 03:09 PM

Hi

I have a keen interest in Cyclists, so I thought I would give my amateur opinion. Of course, my East Yorks notes are missing in action at present, sadly.

From memory, the EY cyclists wore the standard cap badge, but blackened. The problem with that is obviously folks can take a standard badge, blacken it, and pass it off as a rare cyclists. I seem to also remember they may have had lugs rather than a slider, but I am not 100% sure there.

For me, (having had many attempts to get one, and seen many of the tricks - in particular, passing officer collars off as a cyclist cap badge) I would be very hesitant to either categorise any badge as a bonafide "cyclist" without provenance, and certainly wouldn't pay over the odds for one, given the above. Yours doesn't appear to have any blackening, so I am wondering what made you think it's a cyclist? Was it sold to you as such?

Cheers, Tim
Old 03-03-20, 05:35 PM

East Yorks badge looks to be the standard pattern as there is no sign of the required black paint. Not sure if it the case for all 5th bn badges but the applied central rose on all the badges i have seen including the one in my hand is brass. Always made me smile a little being a true Yorkshire man but brass roses generally are worn in Lancashire! Lancashire rose on a Yorkshire badge!!!! Badge fully painted so you cannot see the colour of the rose.

I`ll try and get a scan but scanner playing up. I also have the collar to go with it, wm cycle wheel with wm rose (not blackened).

Last edited by Deejayuu; 04-03-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 07:04 AM

Hi Deeejay

now you mention it, the brass rose does ring a bell. Is the badge you have from a known cyclist? Be great to see some pics, as well as the collars when you get your scanner fixed

cheers, Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
East Yorks badge looks to be the standard pattern as there is no sign of the required black paint. Not sure if it the case for all 5th bn badges but the applied central rose on all the badges i have seen including the one in my hand is brass. Always made me smile a little being a true Yorkshire man but brass roses generally are worn in Lancashire! Lancashire rose on a Yorkshire badge!!!! Badge fully painted so you cannot see the colour of the rose.

I`ll try and get a scan but scanner playing up. I also have the collar to go with it, brass cycle wheel with wm rose (not blackened).
Old 04-03-20, 11:00 AM

Hi Tim,

pictures as promised. I purchased the badges separately and like most , have no provenance.

The 5th bn badge is a nice example and took some finding. So easy to fake so there are far too many bad examples. Easy to spot a good one though if you know what to look for, ie the brass rose.

The other cyclist badge i purchased a long time ago at Pudsey from Norman Litchfield i beleive. Paid £100 for it which was a lot for the badge 25 years ago. I purchased it as a FSC to H (cyclist) company to 2 VB East Yorks who later morphed into the 5th bn. Colin Churchill has a line drawing example of this badge in his wonderful book on Infantry collars. Described as being a collar worn only by H company of the 1st VB and 2nd VB East Yorks regt. However, Colin does advise that this badge has been seen on a contemporary 1902 photograph being worn as a FSC badge. Was the use of the collar on the FSC official or improvised?

Regards, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200304103316240177734.jpg (43.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 200304103337240198921.jpg (44.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 200304103614240355468.jpg (74.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 200304103454240275453.jpg (37.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 200304103530240311812.jpg (35.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Deejayuu; 04-03-20 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 12:11 PM

Gentlemen,thanks for your observations-much appreciated.
I was told it could be a East Yorks Cyclist badge as some references show a standard East Yorkshire Regt badge for the 5th Batt. and others a blackened version . It is therefore not a 5th Batt. one-it seems ,and your knowledge would confirm this, that most cycling battalions had blackened badges-why was this ?
I did see a recruiting WW1 poster for cyclists saying 'Bad teeth- No bar' which was quite amusing!
Old 04-03-20, 12:25 PM

Hi Dave,

thanks very much for the pics. Can I ask you, is the badge two piece? ie it's not a blackened one piece badge? I expect there may be some one-piece around, after the 1916 economy were issued, but as the 5th was circa 1908 till circa 1920, I would assume most are 2 piece.

Cheers, Tim
Old 04-03-20, 01:05 PM

Hi Tim,

the rose to the front is a separate piece. Likely used the same dies as the regulars badge just used a different metal for the rose.
Old 04-03-20, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

A badge so rare that EJ martin's article on Cyclist badges from the 1940s said that he had never seen an example but only ever heard that one existed.
Old 04-03-20, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehat44 View Post
Gentlemen,thanks for your observations-much appreciated.
I was told it could be a East Yorks Cyclist badge as some references show a standard East Yorkshire Regt badge for the 5th Batt. and others a blackened version . It is therefore not a 5th Batt. one-it seems ,and your knowledge would confirm this, that most cycling battalions had blackened badges-why was this ?
I did see a recruiting WW1 poster for cyclists saying 'Bad teeth- No bar' which was quite amusing!
Blackened badges were worn by battalions with "Rifles" origins.
Old 04-03-20, 08:59 PM

Hi Dave,

Wonderful badges, thanks for sharing. As the brass rose is a separate piece can you confirm if there’s a braze hole in the underlaying metal?
Old 04-03-20, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Hi Dave,

Wonderful badges, thanks for sharing. As the brass rose is a separate piece can you confirm if there’s a braze hole in the underlaying metal?
I don`t think there is as the back of the rose is flush.