British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-20, 05:19 PM

Default 2nd Gurkha Rifles - boss help required

It has been my long term aim to put together a frame for each of the 10 Gurkha Regiments in British Service pre 1947. My problem is that I can never hope to get an example of every badge ever worn as there are too many locally made variants or theatre produced badges that continue to emerge on to the market that were "not recorded". So I have resolved to instead put together a comprehensive frame rather than a fully exhaustive one - however there are still badges that elude me that are recorded in the Museum's books on the insignia and I can't bring myself to commit to a frame knowing they are definitely "out there". For example this is my "mock display" to the 2GR - however there is a boss badge worn 1911>1930 that is quite different to the other 2GR bosses in that the POW feathers are bronze and look very much like the O/R's cap badge with upright feathers. There's an example shown in Nath's Sowars and Sepoys - and it's also shown in the Museum's book on the 2GR - but I've never seen one - if any forum member can help I'd be very grateful - top price paid of course. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7209.jpg (39.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-04-20, 10:21 PM

Greetings Tim.

I can't assist re the Boss badge, but I am admiring your display.

My knowledge of Gurkha insignia could be written in large letters on a Nepalese postage stamp.

Last time I was in Nepal, (several years ago), I managed to get into the depot in Kathmandu, having met a couple of officers somewhere in the country and managed to blag one small badge. Coincidentally, one of them was a badge collector and his interest was The Gloucestershire Hussars.

Also visited the small, but very interesting museum in Pokhara on a couple of occasions.

Wish you well in your search.

Regards.

Brian
Old 06-04-20, 01:17 PM

"Last time I was in Nepal... met a couple of officers somewhere in the country ... Coincidentally, one of them was a badge collector and his interest was The Gloucestershire Hussars."

Of course he was!
What else would a Nepalese Army officer collect? Strange old world.
Old 06-04-20, 03:11 PM

Old 06-04-20, 04:44 PM

Tim,
I have spoken to a friend who has a superb gurkha collection, and both he and I have never seen bronzed feathers on a cap boss or even one turn up at auction in the last 40-50 years. So must be quite scarce.

Kind regards
Steve
Old 19-04-20, 10:51 AM

Hope you don't mind but I've lightened your pic up a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7209.jpg (94.1 KB, 27 views)