British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-12-09, 03:29 PM

Default How do you show yours.

hi all
i was woundering how do you display your collections, do you have them mounted in picture frames ( i do ) do you have them in cabinets, wallets ect.
i found green felt ( ex green howard so a bit biased lol ) the best colour backing and i use wallpaper backing as the stiffner ( it is card with polistyrine stuck to it nice and stiff but with give so no danger of snapping sliders or lugs of when removing/mounting.
i have them in a draw storige case untill i compleate a collection then i mount them in a frame and very proudly display.

ps
does anybody know Bob cheatham (ex green howard) the person responsible for starting me collecting.
Old 31-12-09, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan3393 View Post
hi all
i was woundering how do you display your collections, do you have them mounted in picture frames ( i do ) do you have them in cabinets, wallets ect.
i found green felt ( ex green howard so a bit biased lol ) the best colour backing and i use wallpaper backing as the stiffner ( it is card with polistyrine stuck to it nice and stiff but with give so no danger of snapping sliders or lugs of when removing/mounting.
i have them in a draw storige case untill i compleate a collection then i mount them in a frame and very proudly display.

ps
does anybody know Bob cheatham (ex green howard) the person responsible for starting me collecting.
All mine are in shoeboxes or ice cream tubs!
Old 31-12-09, 04:25 PM

Default Displays

Hi All
I have some of my badges in glass fronted cases. I use the acid-free board used for picture framing as a backing. For one thing it is nice and stiff, there is a huge choice of colours and it has a good life without fading. It costs a bit more but is probably cheaper than felt or some of the other fabrics. Also, if you buy a full sheet you can cut it to suit your frame.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 31-12-09, 04:26 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Keith,

You do surprise me ! with the badges you've just shown us, I would have thought your collection would be under lock and key at the very least ??

Alan,

Personally, I use 5mm ' foam-board ', normally A4 and set the badges on the boards for reference, some are in multi drawer systems others on shelves around the room, when ready, I mount them in glass-less picture frames.

You could check various albums to show what different members do for display purposes.

All the best, Happy New Year.

Dave.
Old 31-12-09, 04:34 PM

I mount my badges in box frames on mounting board covered with red velour fablon.

Expensive and does require a lot of work when a new item is acquired which belongs in a particular frame but the frames are screwed to the wall which gives a degree of security which is required especially when you consider the value of even a moderate collection of insignia.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9268.jpg (80.3 KB, 212 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-12-09, 06:59 PM

Default Badge displays

Hi
Some more ideas from my way of doing displays...
I have had my frames made up so that they're all identical in size. I don't have a great deal of wall space so I have more frames than I can put up at any time(my wife only allows me the stairwell). Anyway, my intention (when funds permit) is to have a small cabinet made up which extra frames can be slotted into so that they're out of the way when not on the wall. Also then, if I want to look at a new display I can swop them around.
Cheers,
Alex

Last edited by Alex Rice; 31-12-09 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-01-10, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Keith,

You do surprise me ! with the badges you've just shown us, I would have thought your collection would be under lock and key at the very least ??
It ought to be! My problem is I'm fussy and am always replacing something when a better one comes along. Not only that, there have been a few badges replaced due to information on here showing them to be repros (especially in the Yeomanry Dept.) so I want to be 100% sure before I mount anything. As it stands now I'm going to start framing my WW1 cavalry as I finally got a pair of 21st Lancers collars at Bromley. There are still quite a few shoulder titles to get and the odd mismatched collar so I'll have to make up something easily dismantable until it's finally complete. I have a couple of frames already which I bought old collections in so I'll use those to start with.

Black or navy blue felt background I think?
Old 01-01-10, 04:30 PM

Hi Keith,

As always, I look forward to seeing what you do !

All the best.

Dave.
Old 01-01-10, 06:01 PM

As an after thought this is my only display ' proper ', ie, behind glass, my regiment but with very little history, nothing really exceptional apart from personal memories !!!!

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28 022.jpg (74.8 KB, 159 views)
Old 03-01-10, 12:14 PM

I keep my London collection in this 14 drawer cabinet, along with my RND stuff which only takes up half a drawer !! It's easy to keep getting these out for a look/scan. All the rest are in those black cases with the glass lid you see for sale at the fairs. Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010_010309xmas0033.jpg (63.5 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_010309xmas0034.jpg (60.3 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_010309xmas0035.jpg (61.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_010309xmas0036.jpg (63.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-01-10, 12:57 PM
Mr. Jackanory

The best bits of mine go in a set of draws designed for music with hinged fronts. I took them to an upholsterer to have lined and when he said £400 smackers I went to Leicester market, bought hardboard, foam, glue and velour and spent an afternoon making four tray linings for about £20!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020023.jpg (51.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg P1020024.jpg (55.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 03-01-10, 07:21 PM

My collection is slowly being mount in shaddow boxes. Started setting up one with My Regiment (not completed so not up on a wall yet) My mixed bag of CEF's are mounted with a burlap backing. Air Force have AF blue, and Artilliary are on red field. However most are in ammo boxes waiting for their turn to be proudly displayed
Old 03-01-10, 11:36 PM

Old 03-01-10, 11:39 PM

Old 04-01-10, 01:08 AM

WOW!!!

What an awesome display!

Mick