British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-11, 06:19 PM

Default 3 collar badges cleaning & dating advice please

Hello all,
I bought these collar badges today, a Victorian ASC, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment and what I think is a Norfolk Regiment. The back of the Norfolk badge has a dark green deposit on it which I would like to remove, I was wondering what might be the best method of cleaning it without damaging it. The ASC also has the same type of deposit but less than the other.
I have not seen the Norfolk collar badge in this pattern, the only one I’ve seen without the scroll below is for the Royal Norfolk Regiment and the trident and laurel spray are longer on this than mine. Would this be an older version of the badge for the Norfolk Regiment without a scroll ?
The Duke of Wellington’s looks like a white metal badge and also has a couple of tarnishing marks.
Thanks in advance Alan Y

3 Collars A.JPG 3 Collars B.JPG ASC.jpg Norfolk.jpg DOW.jpg
Old 21-06-11, 10:27 PM
Banned

The green deposits will be verdigris, for which the best remedy is pure lemon juice. Slice a lemon in two and force the badge (verdigris down) into the flesh. Leave for 3/4 minutes, remove and clean under warm water with a toothbrush. The result should have removed most of the stain and any residue can be polished off with metal polish. Good luck. David
Old 22-06-11, 05:24 AM
Peter J

Hello Alan,

Long time no speak, hope all is well with you.

The Norfolk Regiment collar cadge (pattern No. 9966) gilding-metal, dates 1882-1898. The left-facing badge was also worn on the field service cap up until the introduction of the new cap badge in 1897.

Nice little find, mate; thanks for showing it.

Cheers,

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 22-06-11 at 05:29 AM.
Old 22-06-11, 08:52 AM

Thanks David, I’ll try the lemon and hopefully remove the verdigris from this and a few others I have, I didn’t want to use any harsh chemicals and ruin the badge.

Hello Peter, thanks for the information, great to put a date to the badge, I was hoping it was and older one when I saw it.
Regards Alan Y.
Old 22-06-11, 09:15 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Y View Post
Thanks David, I’ll try the lemon and hopefully remove the verdigris from this and a few others I have, I didn’t want to use any harsh chemicals and ruin the badge.

Hello Peter, thanks for the information, great to put a date to the badge, I was hoping it was and older one when I saw it.
Regards Alan Y.
Alan,

In addition to David's suggestion, you may find this of interest/use: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=16520

Peter.
Old 22-06-11, 10:03 AM

Hello Peter,

Thanks again for the link, an interesting thread and a lovely piece of cleaning on the Anson badge,

Regards Alan Y.
Old 23-06-11, 01:58 PM

Hello All,

Just an update on your advice from yesterday. Thanks to Andy (Magpie) for your PM which coincided with Peter’s link, very useful and thanks to you both.
The residue was more of a waxy or greasy texture than the dry verdigris on the Anson badge as Andy pointed out, so I tried the recommended soaking and washing in soapy water and cleaning with a toothbrush. All 3 badges cleaned up very well and without using any polish, the Norfolk badge has lightened a bit but more from handling than anything else, so it will perhaps darken again in time.
I also cleaned an old Africa Star which had a similar verdigris stain to Andy’s Anson badge, using the method he recommended and that came up very well.
I will also try the lemon at some point as well.
Thanks to all for your help,

Regards Alan.
3 Collars F.JPG 3 Collars R.JPG Africa Star A.JPG Africa Star B.JPG
Old 24-06-11, 09:24 PM

Britannia with her hand on her knee is the 'Honolulu' pattern - but does anyone know why?

John
Old 26-06-11, 05:21 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawstonjohn View Post
Britannia with her hand on her knee is the 'Honolulu' pattern - but does anyone know why?

John
John,

This is something I have previously tried to get to to the bottom of too. I'll be interested in any forthcoming explanations.

I am sure one of the reference books refer to it as the 'Honolulu pattern', cannot remember which one though.

PJ
Old 26-06-11, 05:32 PM
Peter J

Outlines.jpg

Surely not?!!!
Old 26-06-11, 06:34 PM

Impressed
Old 26-06-11, 07:08 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Y View Post
Hello All,

Just an update on your advice from yesterday. Thanks to Andy (Magpie) for your PM which coincided with Peter’s link, very useful and thanks to you both.
The residue was more of a waxy or greasy texture than the dry verdigris on the Anson badge as Andy pointed out, so I tried the recommended soaking and washing in soapy water and cleaning with a toothbrush. All 3 badges cleaned up very well and without using any polish, the Norfolk badge has lightened a bit but more from handling than anything else, so it will perhaps darken again in time.
I also cleaned an old Africa Star which had a similar verdigris stain to Andy’s Anson badge, using the method he recommended and that came up very well.
I will also try the lemon at some point as well.
Thanks to all for your help,

Regards Alan.
Attachment 42791 Attachment 42792 Attachment 42793 Attachment 42794
Nice job, Alan. Thanks for posting the finished items, mate.

Peter