British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-09, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
I believe there was a 1916 brass version of the Black Watch badge. So it is an exception to brass economy versions replacing only bi-metal badges. Just thought it worth mentioning although there's probably fakes of these as well. :^(
Perhaps it's best to purchase these rarer badges from reputable dealers and leave the more common badge buys to the shows. At least there would be less money at risk with this method.
I think you'll find many of these 'economy' glengarries in many a reputable dealers lists.
Old 10-03-09, 04:24 AM

I believe I've seen brass Argylls as well.
Old 07-04-09, 06:07 PM

Further evidence that Westlake may have been incorrect about the white metal numerals, check out item number 170316822277, on our favourite auction site.
Bill.
Old 11-04-09, 12:17 PM

Having recently returned from the Somme I was speaking to a local from Pozieres who regularly walks the fields of the Somme. He too stated he had a relic Tyneside / number / Scottish st with plate he had found at La Boiselle!

Badges do turn up on the surface though rare to find.

We were fortunate to find two pieces of insignia this March.

Regards

TT
Old 23-04-09, 09:02 PM

An example of this that i have.
Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t scot1.JPG (39.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg t scot2.JPG (43.6 KB, 125 views)
Old 24-04-09, 04:02 PM

Haha had to laugh at the photo of the backs.

In my view it's now a destroyed badge... But since when does my view count for squat?
Old 24-04-09, 04:52 PM

When you say its NOW a destroyed badge it must be your opinion this was done recently? would you have expected it to be done professionally? it would be interesting to get your thoughts as to why? obviously doesnt add to the value.

Bill.
Old 24-04-09, 05:57 PM

I would like to know if this was a period soldier modification as well. Would certainly seem pointless to do this otherwise.
If it was, I dont think it would necessarily be a destroyed badge though.

CB
Old 24-04-09, 06:20 PM

My memory is not what it was but I am sure a similar badge ( or badges ) have been sold by Bosleys in the past.

I will have a look through some old catalogues over the next few days

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-04-09, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrpltpara View Post
When you say its NOW a destroyed badge it must be your opinion this was done recently? would you have expected it to be done professionally? it would be interesting to get your thoughts as to why? obviously doesnt add to the value.

Bill.
No Bill, I don't think this is recent. Any badge that isn't as issued OR as worn or officially modified [IE: Change of crown or title] under regimental sanction is worthless. This badge has never been officially cropped.

If say it was damaged in theatre and field repaired until a replacement could be found, well then it has a story. If it can be verified by photographic or written evidence it may be worth hanging on to but if it's just a bog standard 'somewhere ' in time repair or modification then its junk.

This is My opinion and if anyone else thinks it should have pride of place in their collection that's their perogitive. No rant required.

Bill, I don't know what you can mean by Professionally, That doesn't make any type of sense to me.
Old 24-04-09, 09:09 PM

wrong end of the stick here, TI was obviously referring to the first badge.
Bill.

Last edited by mtrpltpara; 26-04-09 at 03:01 PM.
Old 24-04-09, 10:08 PM

The first reply was about the photo of the backs of the badges but with the lugs sticking through the card.

I know this is a badge forum but it would be pretty boring and pointless if everyone agreed about everything posted. Also if everyone only ever talked about badges statto like with exact times, dates, dimensions etc with no humour or interaction-banter.

As for Brooched examples: I'm sure there's plenty of brooched examples around the 'hobby' but they don't affect the actual badge just the manner of fixing. Most if not all of these where for wearing in civvies either by the veteran or their loved ones.

A different kettle of fish is the damaged or cropped badges. If your happy to have cropped badges in your collection then fill your boots.
Old 24-04-09, 11:03 PM

Smile "Damaged badges"

Regarding "damaged badges" being worthless, I disagree, many Volunteer badges such as helmet plates had king's crowns re-soldered on to the plate after the QVC was removed. Volunteers were generally not wealthy, hence the alteration.

"Clipped badges" such as the Tyneside Scottish I am sure were done to cut down on polishing, if the perpetrator could get away with it. I have had North Staffs with the ends of the scrolls folded back, which I think I have seen on either this forum or another. Absolutely genuine.
Old 10-05-09, 08:08 PM

Default Tyneside Scottish

I was told that this is the second pattern WW1 badge. Would like opinions that this is really so... thanks.
Old 16-05-09, 02:44 PM

Hello,
Yes this is a 2nd Pattern badge. It probably dates from WW2, as the origianl 1915 issue badges have a pin fitting on the reverse.
This is the pattern of badge still worn by the Tyneside Scottish Battery of the RA, which is affiliated to the Black Watch.

Tags
brass vs white metal, shoulder title, tyneside scottish