British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-10, 06:29 AM

The first thing I’d say about sliders is the manner in which they are measured. I measure mine in terms of full length, from shoulder to tip and how far they extend below the bottom of the badge. For example, the average slider lengths for a 1926 Pattern King’s badge is 36/9 to 38/11 though I have some that are 40/15 to 43/17.
Andy is right about the dates – introduction of slider in March 1903 and a “shortening” in March 1906 (recorded in both the ACD ledgers and certainly annotated on the 4362A/1896 King’s Pattern card – and therefore probably other infantry cap badge pattern Cards too). But as Martin pointed out, we have no knowledge of what the original (1903) length was. However, since these “vertical shanks” were introduced for badges to be worn on the Brodrick Cap and since they were positioned up on the crown (see Jnl of the Soc of Army Hist Research 1982, vol 60) they needed to have longer sliders. AND, when that was replaced by the peaked cap the badge was worn on the band – or often straddling the crown and band – which is why they had to be shortened. So we can all guess at the lengths !!!
Here’s an interesting example, an ‘unofficial’ King’s, a so called 1st Bn but I think actually a ‘foreign service’ one. Anyway, you will see that it has a very long slider ! This is the description from my catalogue (yes, I do this for every badge !)

-The White Horse of Hanover rearing on a torse with continuous twists, in white metal. Below, a scroll inscribed KINGS in ‘Old English’ letters, in gilding metal. Curved. curled withers, front legs webbed but added gm strip attaches it to l.h. furl., ½ tail , cr, slider (J.R.GAUNT LONDON 10.5 x 1.2) 45/21, 46 x 41. I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st bn long slider.JPG (20.1 KB, 11 views)