British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-12, 04:04 PM

Default Red Cap

I have had this verse written on a scrap of paper for many years so I thought I would put it into a format which may be of interest to fellow members. This also reminds me of an old friend many years ago telling me what he thought of the CMP at that time but changed his mind when landing in Sciliy during the war and they were scatred out of their minds with all the battle going full swing around them there standing in the sand dunes resplendid in red top and white traffic sleeves oblivious what was happening around him, directing the incoming tanks etc as if he was in the street back home. Their attitudes changed just like that. Harry (rattle-watch1)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Cap a.jpg (61.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-01-12, 04:09 PM

The Military Police on my first posting - a small radar station, had a notice posted on the wall.

If you don't like the military police, next time you're in trouble call a hippy.

I can honestly say that they used discretion and gave me breaks when they could have locked me up.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 10-01-12, 02:07 PM

Default Red Cap

Harry,

Thanks for this and with your permission I will like to send it to our (RMP) Museum for archiving and future reference.

Of course as a serving Red Cap (now of 30 + years standing) and a former CO SIB, it is my experience that those that profess to "hate" the CMP/RMP either had/have something to hide or have fallen foul of the Army's police by doing wrong in the past and got caught. As Kipling said soldiers 'are not plaster saints' and I am afraid many commit serious criminal offences. Gen Sir Mike Jackson said to me once that "the RMP are a necessary evil!" I had to correct him and reply "CGS...I would say that the RMP are a necessary good!"

Exemplo Ducemus
Old 18-01-12, 07:33 PM

Excellent !

I knew a military policeman who was at Dunkirk's beaches in may & june 1940.
Old 18-01-12, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle-watch1 View Post
I have had this verse written on a scrap of paper for many years so I thought I would put it into a format which may be of interest to fellow members. This also reminds me of an old friend many years ago telling me what he thought of the CMP at that time but changed his mind when landing in Sciliy during the war and they were scatred out of their minds with all the battle going full swing around them there standing in the sand dunes resplendid in red top and white traffic sleeves oblivious what was happening around him, directing the incoming tanks etc as if he was in the street back home. Their attitudes changed just like that. Harry (rattle-watch1)
And here is that man! 98 Army Fd Regt (Surrey Yeomanry) Priest SP gun in the background.
98 Fd Regt (SYQM) Sicily.jpg