British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-10, 05:44 PM
Former Member

Default Saturday Morning Sort Out - Sporan Badge?

Hope you are all having a good weekend? I had a rumage in my odds and sods box ready to list some items on my Ebay site and came across this badge.

I only collect cap badges so it was time to go for the rather nice Black Watch sporan badge that had been dwelling in the bottom of the box for some time!! "Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs" on looking through "Bloomers" (Badges of the Highland & Lowland Regts, Incl Vols and Terr Bns) I came across my badge nestled at the bottom of page 75.... Seems it is a Bandsmans Forage Cap badge to the 1st (City of Dundee) Volunteer Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) or is it? Was this pattern badge also worn as a sporan badge? If it is a Bandsman badge, I should imagine it is quite a valuable little item and as a Cap Badge will be joining my collection!!!

Your comments please? (Badge is in White metal with a thick brass single lug fitting. Measures 41 x 28 mm)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2518.jpg (57.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2519.jpg (52.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2520.jpg (54.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-03-10, 05:49 PM

Hi Andy
I don't have the same copy of Bloomers, but I always thought the badge with the long single fitting like that was a sporran badge. I think I have one with lugs, N-S, somewhere which I would be happy to discover is a rare cap badge...
Cheers,
Alex
Old 06-03-10, 06:11 PM

Andy ,
take a look at 54Bty's album on the Forum.
Page six sealed patterns there is one which looks the same as yours although in anodised aluminium.
Regards Tony.
Old 06-03-10, 06:39 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Andy ,
take a look at 54Bty's album on the Forum.
Page six sealed patterns there is one which looks the same as yours although in anodised aluminium.
Regards Tony.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=12960

Tony - Very similar!

Andy
Old 06-03-10, 07:43 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Hope you are all having a good weekend? I had a rumage in my odds and sods box ready to list some items on my Ebay site and came across this badge.

I only collect cap badges so it was time to go for the rather nice Black Watch sporan badge that had been dwelling in the bottom of the box for some time!! "Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs" on looking through "Bloomers" (Badges of the Highland & Lowland Regts, Incl Vols and Terr Bns) I came across my badge nestled at the bottom of page 75.... Seems it is a Bandsmans Forage Cap badge to the 1st (City of Dundee) Volunteer Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) or is it? Was this pattern badge also worn as a sporan badge? If it is a Bandsman badge, I should imagine it is quite a valuable little item and as a Cap Badge will be joining my collection!!!

Your comments please? (Badge is in White metal with a thick brass single lug fitting. Measures 41 x 28 mm)
Hi Andy,

I would agree with your opinion but bear in mind the fact that I know ' sif all ', I have a sporran badge in my album and the biggest single difference is that my badge has only one single thistle head and that's in between St. Andrews feet, plus there is no over-hanging of leaves past the base of the saltier.

You should have shifted it up to me before you started digging too deeply ??? oh, my badge is chrome plated and has two N./S. lugs, it is also 41mm high but only 23mm wide, the only other thought is whether it could be the centre of a larger badge ?? hope this helps ??

Dave.
Old 06-03-10, 08:40 PM
Former Member

Dave,
it would be nice if it were the center of the badge next to it on page 75!

Andy
Old 06-03-10, 09:15 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Andy,

You never know, yours and the Bandmaster's do look similar ?? but it's more likely to be a Forage cap badge, are you sure it fits into your field of collecting ???

Dave.