British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-12, 12:05 AM

Default 24 Airmobile Brigade.

We all know 24 Brigade has a long history, however in the Airmobile role it was was a short term affair lasting from 1988 to 1999. I'd like to post my (really) small collection of items from the 24 Airmobile Brigade and invite you to share your items if you have any.

1st off is a presentation plaque thing to 210 Airmobile Signals Sqn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7809.jpg (83.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 13-03-12, 12:06 AM

Next a 210 Airmobile Signals Sqn stable Belt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7811.jpg (98.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 13-03-12, 12:08 AM

Next is a Brassard with the Brigade Flash on it from a previously Airborne member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10360.jpg (64.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 13-03-12, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
We all know 24 Brigade has a long history, however in the Airmobile role it was was a short term affair lasting from 1988 to 1999. I'd like to post my (really) small collection of items from the 24 Airmobile Brigade and invite you to share your items if you have any.

1st off is a presentation plaque thing to 210 Airmobile Signals Sqn
I take your point about "Airmobile" in the title but it's worth bearing in mind that from the early 1960s any infantry brigade and brigade group at light scales was deemed air-transportable (not the same as Airmobile I know). For example Plan Langtoft in 1964 called for the insertion of two British infantry brigade groups on light scales into Rhodesia using exclusively RAF air transport assets and mounting from UK (unlikely though that may seem today!)
Old 10-04-12, 12:27 AM

Default 24 Airmobile brigade

Hi,

great items, I in fact served for a time with 210 Sig Squadron , 24 airmobile during the 90's .

I will post lots of my goodies, in fact lost my stable belt and have been looking for one ever since.

The role of the unit is not widely known, however , I can say the it did have a big input from SF training .

Ploppy
Old 10-04-12, 11:18 AM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I take your point about "Airmobile" in the title but it's worth bearing in mind that from the early 1960s any infantry brigade and brigade group at light scales was deemed air-transportable (not the same as Airmobile I know). For example Plan Langtoft in 1964 called for the insertion of two British infantry brigade groups on light scales into Rhodesia using exclusively RAF air transport assets and mounting from UK (unlikely though that may seem today!)
Hi Mike,

I was in 1 PWO in Catterick when 24 Air Mobile Brigade was formed, airmobile mainly in name only, we seemd to spent most our time moving round the UK and Germany on Heli Bedfords as opposed to the real thing, it was an interesting concept though with the main weapon systems being the Milan backed up by the 94mm LAW - Soviet Tank killing being the name of the game, and no such Rifle Companies as such.

I have a great big copy of the formal BN photo showing all the Milan firing posts (and there are a lot of them) back at home from when I was a L/CPL section commander in 4PL B Company (SCBC qualified but as at the time not yet promoted)

Insignia wise, 1 PWO being 1 PWO we did not wear the Brigade flash but do remember having to wear our names on the front of our helmets (as we did that many demo's so that the high ranking officers and dignataries would know who was addressing them). I honestly can not remember anyone wearing the Brigade flash, possibly it was reserved for those in BGD HQ and the BGD Signals SQN?

All the best,

Marcus
Old 10-04-12, 01:24 PM

Fantastic collection!
Old 10-04-12, 10:17 PM

Here's a nice print I bought. 'AIRMOBILE GUNNERS' 19th Regiment RA (The Highland Gunners) on exercise with 24 Airmobile Brigade. It has XlX and RA cypher on one side of the title and the Red Wings on the other side. It's signed by David Rowlands from a painting commissioned by the WO's & Sgt's Mess 19th Regiment RA.
The pic is cropped, missing out the info mentioned above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dhm835.jpg (25.1 KB, 21 views)