British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-03-12, 11:00 PM

Default Royal Artillery, KC, chromed cap badge with brooch fitting

Hi Guys,

I was given this badge this evening by a friend visiting from Norfolk. The pin looks to be original with no evidence of a slider being present at any time, the badge appears genuine but is chromed. It is the full sized KC cap badge.

Is it a sweetheart badge or possibly an association badge?

Any opininons or ideas would be welcome,

Thanks

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 01:00 PM.
Old 20-03-12, 06:48 AM

Possibly a Pipers Glengarry badge.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-03-12, 02:42 PM

Thankyou Peter,

I will put this one down as a piper's glengarry badge.

Cheers

Phil
Old 21-03-12, 03:03 PM

Phil,

I was working in Birkenhead this morning and called into the Market to see a stall I had heard about that sells medals and badges.

I picked up two chromed badges ( pictured below ). A kings crown Royal Artillery badge with moving wheel and two neat holes on the slider for sewing the badge onto the headress. Possibly another Pipers badge ?

The second badge is a kings crown chromed RAF badge which was also the suject of a recent thread here on the Forum.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3653.jpg (50.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3656.jpg (46.8 KB, 18 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-03-12, 04:10 PM

Nice badges Peter, thank you for sharing them. My RAF chromed badge is another brooched example, my RA is fixed wheel. Are you gong to be selling them?

I remember the thread on chromed RAF badges, however, I forget the outcome now!! time to do some searches.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 21-03-12, 05:41 PM

The Pipers of the Band of the Lancashire Arty Vols [would that be part of 103 (Lancashire Arty Vols) Light Air defence Regt RA (V)?] wear a wm full size RA badge in the glengarry. I saw these badges worn at Preston in 1990.There is a picture on p.126 of Litchfield's "The Territorial Artillery", and that is a mere stone's throw from Birkenhead!
Old 21-03-12, 06:00 PM

Thanks Revdougal,

The picture you refer to is as you know, dated 1990 ( the same year that you saw the P and D at Preston ) so they would presumably be wearing a QE2 crown badge at that date ?

You have confirmed something I have been trying to establish,that is the colour of the R.A. badges worn by the Pipes and Drums of the Lancashire Artillery Volunteers.

I dont suppose you can recall the colour of the insignia on the Pipers and Pipe majors cross belts or confirm that the glengarry badges were k.c.

If you have any pictures you may have taken at the time I would be very pleased to see them if at all possible.

Peter

Old 21-03-12, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Thanks Revdougal,

The picture you refer to is as you know, dated 1990 ( the same year that you saw the P and D at Preston ) so they would presumably be wearing a QE2 crown badge at that date ?

You have confirmed something I have been trying to establish,that is the colour of the R.A. badges worn by the Pipes and Drums of the Lancashire Artillery Volunteers.

I dont suppose you can recall the colour of the insignia on the Pipers and Pipe majors cross belts or confirm that the glengarry badges were k.c.

If you have any pictures you may have taken at the time I would be very pleased to see them if at all possible.

Peter
Ditto.

Marc