British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-21, 01:32 PM

Irv,

For me the E/W are all fakes.

The N/S are all good.

Just my opinion, let others with more knowledge confirm or deny.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 13-07-21, 03:22 PM

Cheers Simon
Old 13-07-21, 03:26 PM

Do they fake the N-S lug badges?
Old 13-07-21, 03:38 PM

It's crazy as I bought two of those E-W lugged badges from a forum member. I was sold them as original and only had them to go by as a reference when buying the others.
Don't know which ones they were now.
Looking back at my PM's his name is Brian. I don't have PM's from him but I do from Mike B referring to him by name in one of the PM's Mike B sent me.
I bought the two badges and then got PMs from other members trying to buy one of them off me. This just reinforced to me that they were right.
Just a bit disappointed.

Last edited by Irv; 13-07-21 at 04:04 PM.
Old 13-07-21, 06:17 PM

Cool Royal Marine Artillery cap badge

I have never seen a Royal Marine Artillery cap badge with E-W loops, so I cannot really comment as to the authenticity of them. All the Royal Marine Artillery cap badges I have had came from an old collection and had N-S loops.

Why the change in position of loops I cannot see unless it's a makers idea.

Rob
Old 13-07-21, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
It's crazy as I bought two of those E-W lugged badges from a forum member. I was sold them as original and only had them to go by as a reference when buying the others.
Don't know which ones they were now.
Looking back at my PM's his name is Brian. I don't have PM's from him but I do from Mike B referring to him by name in one of the PM's Mike B sent me.
I bought the two badges and then got PMs from other members trying to buy one of them off me. This just reinforced to me that they were right.
Just a bit disappointed.
I confirm I liaised with Irv regarding two RMA badges, and he is correct - my correspondence refers to the seller as Brian. Unfortunately I did not note his forum name or surname. I think the correspondence is circa 8/6/2016 - if Brian can come forward, or anyone recall who it may be, it would obviously be very helpful for Irv. Hoping 'Brian' can help us here.

Do the moderators retain sales adverts in any form of archive please? it will be around June 2016 I imagine ... quite understand if not, as storage for archiving must have its limits.

Regards
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 13-07-21 at 06:43 PM.
Old 13-07-21, 07:01 PM

Thanks for your help Mike. I’m sure some one will recall who this is.

Regards
Irv
Old 13-07-21, 07:21 PM

Irv

I agree that all the EW lugged badges look suspect and all the NS lugged badges look ok. I have never seen an EW lugged badge that I like. They tend to have a very rough finish to the front, especially between the flames and they always appear to made of thinner metal. As with some of your badges the lugs tend to have large feet but this is not always present on all the badges. I have seen a few of the slidered RMA badges before but I also treat these with suspicion. I have attached a couple of pictures of the NS lugged ones I have. I have also attached a picture of the EW version I have, I do not consider this to be genuine but keep it as a reference.

Paddy
Old 13-07-21, 07:45 PM

All your E-W looped badges and the slidered version are repros.

The N-S ones all look good to me.

Here is the ‘offender’ in the Martin Marsh catalogue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 027DC534-7DF1-4003-8E6E-B6C536DEB663.jpeg (44.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 13-07-21, 08:35 PM

Thanks Paddy. I just can’t work out how in the original pictures I posted the badge sits so low with a N-S lug system??? The glove goes beyond the bottom material.
But what do I know……… I should stick to commando knives🤪
Old 13-07-21, 08:36 PM

Cheers Luke. I’m embarrassed to say that I had not heard of Marsh before this thread…..
Old 13-07-21, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Cheers Luke. I’m embarrassed to say that I had not heard of Marsh before this thread…..
When I was a school boy I had a Saturday job working for a well known militaria/camping store in the north west. Martin Marsh used to come in and sell his badges, by weight, the shop bought boxes of them every few months. Whilst most were restikes but every delivery also included a few genuine badges, the savvy collectors would pick these out very quickly. I wish I’d asked him why some were real. I doubt that shop was his only customer, he must have produced hundreds of thousands of them, we were selling them for £2 each. Forty years of ageing later I wonder how many are now ‘real’.