British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-21, 12:14 AM

Default A rare one here!

This is surely the long lost and forgotten 1898 to 1921 NCO special pattern....
This seller's fakes have reached a new level of absurdity and price; taking up a huge amount of space on ebay that I am sick of having to wade through.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12490808847...UAAOSw5shhRgoJ

CB
Old 19-09-21, 02:16 AM

It does look pretty shabby!!!

Terry
Old 19-09-21, 03:46 PM

I'll be generous and ascribe this to incompetence rather than malice. The guy has a ton of stuff and I'm sure he thinks it's all genuine. A random flip through suggests a small amount is. Maybe he's one of those collectors who can't come to grips with the fact that he bought a lot of dross, or perhaps he's unaware of the pervasiveness of fakes and restrikes.

There's also a healthy dollop of laziness. Everything is titled as a cap badge, even when he also correctly identifies it as a shoulder tile, formation sign ,etc.

His prices are, um, optimistic.
Old 19-09-21, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfant perdus View Post
I'll be generous and ascribe this to incompetence rather than malice. The guy has a ton of stuff and I'm sure he thinks it's all genuine. A random flip through suggests a small amount is. Maybe he's one of those collectors who can't come to grips with the fact that he bought a lot of dross, or perhaps he's unaware of the pervasiveness of fakes and restrikes.

There's also a healthy dollop of laziness. Everything is titled as a cap badge, even when he also correctly identifies it as a shoulder tile, formation sign ,etc.

His prices are, um, optimistic.
The seller’s eBay shop description would suggest a business rather than collector.

Around a year ago I bought a very reasonably priced genuine Highland Cyclists from them. Since then they’ve had little new stock and most is rubbish or overpriced.

Rather I expect what’s happened is they’re a small business who bought a very large collection with a lot of repros and are now left with the chaff and an ‘online museum’.