British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-14, 03:08 PM

Default South-West Asia Theatre Honours

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2014/05/09/...heatre-honours

South-West Asia Theatre Honours Ottawa, Ontario ‑ 9 May 2014
In March 2014, Canada’s operations in Afghanistan, the longest armed conflict in Canadian history, drew to a close. Over the past 12 years, more than 40,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and airwomen served in the South-West Asia region in the largest deployment of Canadian troops since the Second World War.

Canada is committed to recognizing the dedication and sacrifice made by Canada’s men and women in uniform who took part in the conflict in Afghanistan. To this end, on May 9, 2014, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced that eligible units of the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Air Force and the Canadian Special Operations Forces that participated in the South-West Asia theatre of conflict have been bestowed with the “Arabian Sea” or the “Afghanistan” Theatre Honour.

Theatre Honours are a type of Battle Honour given to publicly recognize a Canadian Armed Forces unit for successful participation in a theatre of armed conflict. Such honours have been awarded after every major conflict in which Canada has been engaged.

The following units will be receiving the Theatre Honours:

ARABIAN SEA

Royal Canadian Navy Units

HMCS Algonquin

HMCS Calgary
HMCS Charlottetown

HMCS Fredericton

HMCS Halifax

HMCS Iroquois

HMCS Montréal

HMCS Ottawa
HMCS Preserver

HMCS Protecteur

HMCS Regina

HMCS St. John’s

HMCS Toronto

HMCS Vancouver

HMCS Winnipeg

AFGHANISTAN

Royal Canadian Navy Units

Fleet Diving Unit (Atlantic)
Fleet Diving Unit (Pacific)

Canadian Army Units

The Royal Canadian Dragoons

Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians)

12e Régiment blindé du Canada 1

The Governor General’s Horse Guards

The Ontario Regiment (RCAC)

The Queen’s York Rangers (1st American Regiment) (RCAC)

8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s)

1st Hussars

The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)

The Royal Canadian Hussars (Montreal)

The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught’s Own)

The South Alberta Light Horse

The Saskatchewan Dragoons

The King’s Own Calgary Regiment (RCAC)

The British Columbia Dragoons

The Fort Garry Horse

Le Régiment de Hull (RCAC)

The Windsor Regiment (RCAC)

The Royal Canadian Regiment 2

Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry

Royal 22e Régiment 3

Governor General’s Foot Guards

The Canadian Grenadier Guards

The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada

The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada

Les Voltigeurs de Québec

The Royal Regiment of Canada

The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth Regiment)

The Princess of Wales’ Own Regiment

The Lincoln and Welland Regiment

The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada

The Grey and Simcoe Foresters

The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment)
The Brockville Rifles

Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders

Les Fusiliers du St-Laurent

Le Régiment de la Chaudière

Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal

The Princess Louise Fusiliers

The Royal New Brunswick Regiment

The West Nova Scotia Regiment

The Nova Scotia Highlanders

The CapeBreton Highlanders

Le Régiment de Maisonneuve

The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (Duke of Edinburgh’s Own)

The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

The Essex and Kent Scottish

48th Highlanders of Canada

Le Régiment du Saguenay

The Algonquin Regiment

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise’s)

The Lake Superior Scottish Regiment

The North Saskatchewan Regiment

The Royal Regina Rifles

The Rocky Mountain Rangers

The Loyal Edmonton Regiment (4th Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry)

The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada

The Royal Westminster Regiment

The Calgary Highlanders

Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada

The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary’s)

The Royal Montreal Regiment

The Irish Regiment of Canada

The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother’s Own)

Royal Canadian Air Force Units

408 Tactical Helicopter Squadron

427 Special Operations Aviation Squadron
430 Tactical Helicopter Squadron

436 Transport Squadron

Special Forces

Canadian Special Operations Regiment

1 As a regimental-level award, the theatre honour “Afghanistan” is awarded to the regiment and shared by its Regular and Reserve Force regiments
2 As a regimental-level award, the theatre honour “Afghanistan” is awarded to the regiment and shared by all of its Regular and Reserve Force battalions
3 As a regimental-level award, the theatre honour “Afghanistan” is awarded to the regiment and shared by all of its Regular and Reserve Force battalions

PROCESS FOR THE CREATION OF THEATRE HONOURS

The process for the creation of Theatre Honours is the same for all types of Battle Honours. Following the end of a conflict, the Canadian Armed Forces begins the process of determining battle nomenclature (theatres, campaigns, battles, etc.) in order to create the specific Battle Honours for that conflict. Afterward, the eligibility criteria for awarding each of those honours is then determined. Each of these steps ultimately leads to approval by the Chief of the Defence Staff, who then forwards them to the Governor General, the final authority for the creation of Battle Honours and the eligibility criteria for each. The third step in the process is the allocation of the Battle Honours to individual Canadian Armed Forces units by the Chief of the Defence Staff.

ALLOCATION CRITERIA

“Arabian Sea” Theatre Honour

■Units of the Royal Canadian Navy will be granted the Theatre Honour “Arabian Sea” if they deployed to Combined Task Force 50 or Combined Task Force 150 within the geographical boundaries of the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean north of 5 degrees south latitude and west of 68 degrees east longitude.
■Units of the Royal Canadian Air Force will be granted the Theatre Honour “Arabian Sea” if they deployed within the air spaces of Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean north of 5 degrees south latitude and west of 68 degrees east longitude.
“Afghanistan” Theatre Honour

■Units of the Royal Canadian Navy will be granted the Theatre Honour “Afghanistan” if their cumulative contribution of personnel reached a minimum of 20 per cent of the strength of the originating unit in the geographical area of Afghanistan.
■Units of the Canadian Army will be granted the Theatre Honour “Afghanistan” if their cumulative contribution of personnel reached a minimum level of 20 per cent of the effective strength of the originating unit in the geographical area of Afghanistan.
■Units of the Royal Canadian Air Force will be granted the Theatre Honour “Afghanistan” if they deployed within the air space of Afghanistan.
■Units of the Canadian Special Operations Forces will be granted the Theatre Honour “Afghanistan” if they deployed within the land space of Afghanistan and their cumulative contribution of personnel reached a minimum level of 20 per cent of the effective strength of the originating unit in the geographical area of Afghanistan.
UBIQUE Motto

The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers and Joint Task Force 2 do not carry individual battle honours, but instead use the motto “UBIQUE,” meaning “everywhere.”
Old 10-05-14, 03:49 PM

Going along with this theme, yesterday I attended the National Day of Honour on Parliament Hill. Afterwards, I got to see some really cool stuff like talking to a sniper and checking out his equipment: the .50 cal is an awesome piece of equipment. Then climbed into the turret of an LAV. You need to be a contortionist, and much fitter than me to get in or out! Needless to say I didn't try getting into the Leopard tank. Seeing a Chinook which had landed on the Hill was pretty amazing. All this equipment was like we'd just had a military coup and...well, let's not even go there.

I also tried showing off my expertise at pointing out to my wife what all the badges were. I'm not that up on Canadian badges as I am on British ones, but she seemed impressed.

I couldn't help thinking that, I know this was a one-off and that commemorations/ celebrations will normally be on November 11th, but just as we have the occasional air show in Ottawa, why couldn't we have regular shows displaying the Canadian forces? It's great publicity for them at a time when the military are so revered because of their contribution and sacrifices in Afghanistan. Kids love it, and so do us big kids. Maybe it would help to keep alive their memory and the public's support.

David
Old 10-05-14, 04:56 PM

Good day David,

Well, we did at one time ... It was called "Armed Forces Day" and took place sometime in the summer every year. Can't speak for the rest of the country, but when I joined 2RCR at CFB Gagetown in '78, for years after that, I was involved somewhat in the whole process. The base would open the gates to the general public and there would be demos by guest units (jumpers like the Sky Hawks, visits and flybys by Air Force units and the like), camo face painting and certificates for mini-ranges for the kids, vehicle and weapons displays.

Sadly, I think because of the budget cut-backs that afflicted us in the '90's, a lot of "unnecessary" expenses were pared off the bone, and those days disappeared.

Your suggestion has merit and I support it. However, I also think that you will never see it again on a regular basis in our life times. My opinion any way.

Ian B
Old 12-05-14, 01:38 PM

Armed Forces days are fondly remembered here in Calgary as well.

Lots of questions coming up regarding what happens next as far as the Theatre Honour. Will they be emblazoned? I suspect that is up to individual regiments as to putting them on their Colours. For Militia regiments, perhaps a simple choice as I would speculate no further Honours are in the works for them, if past history is a guide. For the regiments that fought as formed units in theatre, individual battle honours may be possible.

I wonder also how this might affect the cap badges of the rifle regiments, and whether they will (or can) choose to add this theatre honour to their badges?
Old 12-05-14, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dorosh View Post
Armed Forces days are fondly remembered here in Calgary as well.

Lots of questions coming up regarding what happens next as far as the Theatre Honour. Will they be emblazoned? I suspect that is up to individual regiments as to putting them on their Colours. For Militia regiments, perhaps a simple choice as I would speculate no further Honours are in the works for them, if past history is a guide. For the regiments that fought as formed units in theatre, individual battle honours may be possible.

I wonder also how this might affect the cap badges of the rifle regiments, and whether they will (or can) choose to add this theatre honour to their badges?
I would suspect that most Militia regiments would be looking at getting this battle honour emblazoned on their Colours. Some regiments have few, if any, while others served in NW Rebellion, South Africa and through both world wars and will be challenged for finding space. I would not expect this to be a quick process tough as the acquisition of Colours is now the responsibility of DHH and they will likely set a schedule that takes into account the age of the existing Colours before committing to the expense.
Rifle regiments may be delayed (again, how many badges are in stock?) and there may be a desire to hold off for the next Monarch should the selection of the Crown be changed.
Old 12-05-14, 09:54 PM

Speaking only on the SALH i've been told it's going on the new Guidon which is to be presented next year (or so i've been told next year could be in the next 5 but i know plans are in the works for next year).

Cheers
Chris
Old 13-05-14, 05:55 PM

This is The Queen's Own plan for their drums, etc

Last edited by ddaydodger; 22-03-15 at 06:41 PM.
Old 14-05-14, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
This is The Queen's Own plan for their drums, etc
Isn't it unusual to have the honours read chronologically top to bottom, then left to right, rather then left, right, left, right?

Old 15-05-14, 12:07 AM

25. Display of Honours. Battle honours are
emblazoned in the sequence prescribed by military (in
the order in which they were awarded) and heraldic
custom. This gives precedence to the front on top of a
display, and to the right-of-the-line (left as seen by an
observer facing the display). When a battle honour list
is displayed on both sides of a central device for a
balanced effect, the honours are placed in two
columns in their order of precedence, commencing at
the top left as seen from the front and alternating from
the left to right downwards. If the number of honours
is sufficient, they may be displayed in four, rather than
two columns, the order of precedence being across
each of the four columns, commencing at the top left
as seen from the front. When there are an odd
number of honours to be shown, the last honour is
placed in the centre below any central device or motto
scroll. Where two honours have simultaneous
chronology, theatre or primary honours are listed
before subsidiary ones within the theatre. Though
type-face varies in some written records to indicate
the type of battle honour for historical purposes, all
honours are considered equal in recognition.
Therefore, they are all emblazoned equally in capital
letters on Colours, honour boards and regimental
appointments. Air squadrons and combat arms
regiments are restricted on the number of honours
they may emblazon on their Colours. These
restrictions were put in place as a result of available
space on the various types of Colours or as a result of
the large number of awards allocated during the
World Wars.
Old 15-05-14, 03:10 AM

I've never seen "yes" spelled with so many characters before.

Good info, thanks.
Old 16-05-14, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I would suspect that most Militia regiments would be looking at getting this battle honour emblazoned on their Colours. Some regiments have few, if any, while others served in NW Rebellion, South Africa and through both world wars and will be challenged for finding space. I would not expect this to be a quick process tough as the acquisition of Colours is now the responsibility of DHH and they will likely set a schedule that takes into account the age of the existing Colours before committing to the expense.
Rifle regiments may be delayed (again, how many badges are in stock?) and there may be a desire to hold off for the next Monarch should the selection of the Crown be changed.
There is no need for new colours, if there is room new theatre/ battle honours can be added to the exsisting colours ( guidons, standards, etc.) at crown expense. Any change to which theatre/ battle honours are on the colours must be approved by DHH. If theatre/ battle honours are added then the colous will not be re-consecrated, but some form of official recognition is suggested, i.e. trooping. Units like Le Régiment de Hull or The Windsor Regiment will not have a problem with space on their guidons. I would imagine some units will wait for specific battle honours to be awarded before proceding, the PPCLI come to mind.