British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-22, 02:42 PM

Default The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regt. Collar badge.

A recent buy on the internet where I took a chance as the pictures were not the clearest. I am not quite sure what to make of it now that it has arrived.

It appears to be a post 1881 collar badge sealed on the 20th January 1882, No 9980. Figure 38 in Churchill.

"The pattern adopted was very similar to that of the previous one, the main difference being the placing of the lamb on a tablet inscribed 'QUEEN'S' in place of the torse. Different dies show voided and unvoided areas between the raised leg and the staff. One unusual feature was that both ends of the scroll, curved back behind the animal's feet, ending in a fish tail shape similar to the banner. (Figure 36).

On 14th December 1897, authorisation was recorded for the standard pattern to be renewed and cut from new dies. This was pattern No. 9980a and in gilding metal as before, the opportunity was taken to slightly alter the design of the lamb and to place it on a more substantial tablet. Where previously, with ones facing to the right a front leg was above the apostrophe on the tablet, it now stood on the 'N' of 'QUEEN'S' (Figs 37 & 38 for variations).

I am not sure if these collar badges have been copied/faked but I would appreciate if some one could cast their eye over this example and let me know if it is a good example.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Queens 005.jpg (96.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Queens 003.jpg (112.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Queens 004.jpg (96.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-01-22, 03:03 PM

That collar is fine to my knowledge. All if this type that I have seen seem to have a very pronounced ball like pattern to the fur, not to be confused with the infamous golf ball fake cap badges.

CB
Old 11-01-22, 05:15 PM

CB,

thank you for that. I was hoping to make a matching pair with this one but they are notably different.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Queens coll.jpg (95.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Queens 001.jpg (94.6 KB, 15 views)