British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-20, 07:31 PM

Default FAKE A&S Badges

I am posting this in an effort to increase my knowledge. These two badges have been deemed fake, but I don't know why, so would not know what to look for in the future. Can anyone advise what tells us they are fakes?

Thnaks,

Terry
Old 30-07-20, 09:20 PM

These pictures are excellent quality, but they will soon disappear (they are in photobucket, not on the forum)
Old 30-07-20, 09:39 PM

Top badge has the die flaw on the first L of ARGYLL which is present on a well known eBay repro merchants examples of this badge. This same die and flaw also features in the Martin Marsh repro catalogue.

Second badge is from the same die as this very modern anodised aluminium badge https://www.cultmancollectables.com/...oduct_id=11003 . Note the flaw below the coronet and its base not being completely stuck. The seeding is coarse, the cat looks more like a chipmunk and the overall rendering of features is poor. Lastly the reverse looks poorly stuck and an unusual colour which I suspect is chemical ageing.
Old 30-07-20, 10:49 PM

Thank you gentlemen! Excellent info and yes, obvious flaws. Thank you both very much!!!

Terry
Old 30-07-20, 11:11 PM

You are not alone Terry- this thread has just added another badge to my duff badge bag. Regards, Paul.
Old 31-07-20, 02:25 AM

Wardog, I am finding this hobby a great learning curve, but have learned more from this forum and reading nearly every post and studying the albums to be the best resource ever. For me it is great since affording all of the nice expensive books is tough.

Trust, I have a pretty healthy duff bin!!!

Terry
Old 31-07-20, 06:08 AM

Terry it helps us all and in reading you are thinking of the one's you have yourself, and Doubt creeps in!!! and Yes we all have a pile of copies which you can put on card and examine againstca future buy, good luck, billy
Old 31-07-20, 01:59 PM

Thanks Billy,

I know I am not alone with a bogus collection. Which does give some comfort.

I don't mind keeping the fakes if I am unable to return them, and will occasionally use them as fillers if cheap enough. I also occasionally will pass them on to local friends who are not collectors, but who enjoy military things. And I also tell them they are fakes, and point out why.

I commend those who sell a fake that is fully disclosed, and have no problem with those who are innocent in not knowing, but avoid those who know and sell them as real at high prices. Several dealers I have bought from have had some bad badges, and I have mentioned it to them and they promptly pulled the item. They are dealers at the top of my list.

I find this forum an exceptional help in the hobby and have learned so much in the short time I've been a member. My thanks to EVERYONE!!!!

Terry