British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-10, 12:43 AM

Default 7th Hussars ww2 embroidered shoulder title

All,
I have in my collection a 7H white embroidered title on oval khaki wool patch, purporting to be of ww2 vintage. I presume other cavalry regiments had similar titles.
Were these ever actually worn on the upper sleeve in the normal manor on the BD, or did they normally use metal titles instead? Thanks,

CB
Old 17-02-10, 02:57 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

The 7th Hussars ceased to exist afterApril 1st 1936 when they amalgamated with the 11th Hussars, your title is perhaps WW1. or between the wars, what is usually called the Militia period. Maybe Bill A can tell you more. Ray
Old 17-02-10, 11:26 AM

Is this possibly a British badge?
Would you be able to post an image?

Phil
Old 17-02-10, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
All,
I have in my collection a 7H white embroidered title on oval khaki wool patch, purporting to be of ww2 vintage. I presume other cavalry regiments had similar titles.
Were these ever actually worn on the upper sleeve in the normal manor on the BD, or did they normally use metal titles instead? Thanks,

CB
Is the 7H like this one? I have also included a VIIIH example.

I have always understood these to be British Army and worn on the epaulette (shoulder strap) of Battle Dress and below cloth embroidered officers rank stars and crowns. This 'tradition' was carried forward by some Cavalry Regiments who wore embroidered titles on pullover shoulder straps into the 1990s. On page 18 of "Britsh Army Badges" (2005) Robin Hodges illustrates a QDG version worn by Officers and Senior NCOs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6147.jpg (54.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 17-02-10 at 02:53 PM. Reason: More info
Old 17-02-10, 12:50 PM

Default 7th Hussars title

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
The 7th Hussars ceased to exist afterApril 1st 1936 when they amalgamated with the 11th Hussars, your title is perhaps WW1. or between the wars, what is usually called the Militia period. Maybe Bill A can tell you more. Ray
Hi Ray

We are in danger of causing much confusion. I think we are talking about the British 7th Hussars here whereas you may be thinking Canadian.
If the old comrades get to hear of this there will be uproar (because nobody told them at the time!)

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 17-02-10, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Short answer. As Ray says there was no Canadian 7th Hussars in the Second World War. It had been amalgamated with the 11th Hussars to form the 7th/11th Hussars. They served as HQ Sqn for the 5 CAD.
As Gordon says, the British army was home to the 7th Hussars.
Old 17-02-10, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Is the 7H like this one? I have also included a VIIIH example.

I have always understood these to be British Army and worn on the epaulette (shoulder strap) of Battle Dress and below cloth embroidered officers rank stars and crowns. This 'tradition' was carried forward by some Cavalry Regiments who wore embroidered titles on pullover shoulder straps into the 1990s. On page 18 of "Britsh Army Badges" (2005) Robin Hodges illustrates a QDG version worn by Officers and Senior NCOs.
Yes, it is the oval 7H like this. The question is if they were ever actually worn. Interesting in that they may have been worn on the shoulder straps themselves instead of the top of the sleeve. Certainly would not leave much room for officer rank insignia.

CB
Old 18-02-10, 01:35 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Sorry about that, just assumed it was thought to be Canadian seeing the thread came from this side of the pond.