British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-11, 06:42 AM

Yes they did on the left shoulder and on the right shoulder A Norwegian flag as displayed by Pieter, these insignia were worn under the No 10 commando title. Cheers JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Did the Norwegians in 10 Commando not wear a "Norge" title?

I know that it was worn by the free Norwegians, just don't know about the inter-allied commando.
Old 13-12-11, 11:02 AM

I realise that I am not quite done yet, but with the Czech title from JB I am 1 step closer. I will never own one of those rare French metal beret badges, but the earlier worn cloth one is good enough for me. These are the last commando related insignia in my collection, and I don't intend to spend an(other) arm and a leg!
It's good to see so many of you appreciate commando items.

Cheers,
Pieter
Old 13-12-11, 05:41 PM

Hi Pieter,

I think as 'collectors' we all appreciate a really good collection and your group is really stunning. Wonderful to see here and it does the heart good to see so much support from all the chaps.

Again 'well done' and keep up the good work.

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 17-12-11, 04:35 PM

Wooow, Nice display! Well done.
About the Belgian title....They used the red on khaki "Belgium" title until they changed the comb.ops badge into the dagger (triangle badge).
The red on dark blue "Belgium" came in use with the dagger (blue triangle) badge in 1945.
But...the red on blue Belgium was already in use for the Belgian Navy since 1940, much bigger as the ones used by the commando's in 1945.
The only title used by the commando's was the smaller one. It's the lowest Belgium title just above the Poland title (this way you have an idea about the size). The two upper Belgium titles are used by Navy.
I think I still might have some photo's of the Belgian commando's with the titles, I will post them later if I find them.
Cheers,
Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg (52.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg commando1a.JPG (42.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 18-12-11, 04:59 PM

Fantastic no 10 commando pair of titles Marc thanks for sharing. Also interesting info on the Belgian title. As to the kakhi red one, was a particular pattern in use? Thanks, JB
Old 19-12-11, 09:37 AM

Hi Marc,
Thanks for that info. I wasn't to sure about my Belgium title. Guess I will have to look around a bit. I have added an album with the badges.
Cheers,
Pieter
Old 19-12-11, 10:42 PM

Hi Pieter,
As far as I have found doc. and pics. the "Belgium" red/blue title has been worn from june or july 1945 in Belgium. Not used in battle, or even in Germany in may, june 1945.

JB, the "Belgium" red on khaki title is the one as shown below.
They used them in Italy 1943/1944 (but not everyone).
In Walcheren (november 1944) they had NO Belgium title. Only N° 10 commando or just "commando". (the guy left has a N° 10 commando title, the guy in the middle (Carlo Segers) has only "commando" without N° 10)

Cheers,
Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04336.aJPG.jpg (34.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Kopie van walcheren.jpg (60.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 20-12-11, 01:26 PM

Thanks Marc, you seem to know a lot about this subject.
So here I have 3 nice looking Belgian shoulder titles, but none of them would be correct for my no. 10 display?
That sucks, guess I have to be patient.
Cheers,
Pieter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1672.jpg (99.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1673.jpg (101.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by pieter; 21-12-11 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-01-12, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
Very Nice indeed Pieter,
As to the Czechs, I have a spare black red title, which I think was used by the Czechs, although very little is known about them, some served in 3 X troop and some in the 7 Youguslavian troop.
hi,

I only saw an original red on black 'czechoslovakia' shoulder title once, and that was sewn on a ww2 British Nurse uniform that had been acquired by a friend of mine from the nurse's family. The lady was a member of the Czechoslovak Red Cross during ww2 and served as a nurse in Chelsea and another London hospital I cannot recall at the moment.

I am pretty convinced Czech personnel serving with Commando units had either the usual red on green national shoulder titles or the usual British 'No X-Commando' ones.
Old 21-08-20, 03:11 PM

Great display & thanks for sharing.

One of my friends, free french ships navy sailor, asked for his transfer & served in the 10th I.A. Commando during ww2 (anglo-normand island raids), then 4th Commando (D-Day -wounded in Normandy- to end of war).
A small article (in french) on him: http://www.francaislibres.net/liste/...hp?index=74503

These men were tough & courageous. They deserve a great respect.

JD
Old 21-08-20, 04:04 PM

A relevant photo.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF Commando c1941.jpg (66.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 21-08-20, 06:04 PM

Norwegians normally wore the flag on the right arm and the shoulder title ‘Norge’ on the left arm, in the same manner as the Belgians. This was a general rule for Free Norwegian forces but 10 Cdo had different rules and I think study of the Norwegian Troop photos will help you.

Last edited by Colin S; 21-08-20 at 06:28 PM. Reason: More information
Old 03-09-20, 08:06 AM

One thing all collectors need to consider is that just because there's no irrefutable evidence of titles being worn (or not), doesn't mean that they weren't.
The M detachment title from Antiques roadshow is proof.
80 years on and there's all these surprises that pop up.
Great isnt it.
Incidentally, anyone know where that title ended up?
Old 03-09-20, 03:27 PM

Hi Jon - as Archaeologists say on time team etc ... absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Hoping you and yours are keeping well.
Mike
Old 03-09-20, 03:39 PM

Default LETS QUESTION USE OF CZECHOSLOVAKIA TITLE IN 'X' TROOP NO.10 (INTER ALLIED) COMMANDO

The Czechoslovakia title debate was raised on another forum - ie Commando Association facebook page.

This was my response to seeing a display of a CZECHOSLOVAKIA designation / Tile, in the context of No.10 (Inter-Allied) commando, and Combined Operations patch - surely illogical, erroneous and misleading.

It is time this speculation was nipped in the bud:

My logic is as follows: open to challenge of course:

I can not see how members of 'X' Troop, 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando would advertise their nationality given they were assigned the choice of four British Regiments to 'join' as 'parent regiments' and aliases to disguise their identity - most having escaped Nazi persecution. The point of granting aliases and ambiguity to these commandos was to hide their identity and protect family members under Nazi occupation, particularly if any member of X Troop was captured. Members of 'X' Troop were mainly Jewish but also included other persecuted classes. It is true some Czechoslovakians served in No.10 (Inter-Allied) Cdo - I had the privilege to meet a few at the unveiling of the memorial to X Troop in Aberdovey - in fact many members of the troop came, from all around the world for the unveiling - and I will never forget it, or the reception that followed. Some Czechs served in other Commandos too (eg No.62 - SSRF). It has always puzzled me that the above set of insignia [Czechoslovakia title, No.10 Commando title, Combined Operations patch] appears in books and on other sites - clearly - in my opinion - misguided. If such a combination was worn it would defeat the whole object of 'ambiguity' of X Troop and I can not think it would be wise to wear such a combination in HQ of 10 (I-A) Cdo either. Just my opinion - but based on years of considering such things. All the best - Mike Beckett

Critically - Volunteers of X Troop were assigned membership of one of four British Infantry Regiments - so why wear Czechoslovakia?

Thoughts welcome ...