British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-18, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
I assume this means nothing then?

"My reputation as one of the country's leading dealers is very important to me, and all items are original and come with a money back guarantee......

Rod Flood"

Perhaps a boycott of the site if they do not honor their promises of a money back guarantee would achieve satisfaction for the unhappy buyer.
Well put.
Andy
Old 22-01-18, 09:05 PM

Default STOP PRESS

I am pleased to say that an amicable solution has now been found between myself and Rod Flood.

Many thanks to those on the site for their advice and support

John
Old 23-01-18, 08:36 AM

I'm pleased for you, it is never pleasant to find yourself in that sort of situation, my only other thoughts would have been on the subject of selling the badge in question, on ebay, I would not put that paragraph you wrote in post 19 on your ebay auction page, it would certainly not do anything for your own reputation as a seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawstonjohn View Post
I am pleased to say that an amicable solution has now been found between myself and Rod Flood.

Many thanks to those on the site for their advice and support

John
Old 03-09-20, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Has Rod Flood got any evidence to prove this ?! Or indeed anyone else ?!
Andy
Yes, I found a note somewhere (I think it was Own Coetzee's book) which stated that all ranks were directed to paint all their badges and buttons in the field lest some sharp eyed Boer sniper pick out the glint of brass on the Veldt, and as such men were issued with small pots of Khaki or Bronze coloured paint to do this.

This is also evidential in the Canadian issue "Pickled" badges in later years which may have been prompted by similar practice during the second Boer War.
Old 03-09-20, 07:58 PM

I was just about to write that they may have darkened their badges as they did in the near east and Egypt in the 1st WW. Though I've looked through photgraphs (of the KLR) in SA and only saw S&G / BM !

Officers Service Dress (OSD) was introduced by Army Orders (A.O.) 8 of 1902, and thereupon appear in DR 1904.
Old 04-09-20, 07:18 AM

In the Army during the Anglo Boer War cap badges were worn on the field service cap, which was carried on campaign, with the helmet actually worn, by the time of the second invasion of the Cape, the appearance of Atkin's began to change with the slouch hat in common usage, you very seldom see photographic evidence of a badge upon them.
So I would ask where are all these khaki and bronze badges now and if it is true, why did this "direction" not extend to the SAMIF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Bradshaw View Post
Yes, I found a note somewhere (I think it was Own Coetzee's book) which stated that all ranks were directed to paint all their badges and buttons in the field lest some sharp eyed Boer sniper pick out the glint of brass on the Veldt, and as such men were issued with small pots of Khaki or Bronze coloured paint to do this.

This is also evidential in the Canadian issue "Pickled" badges in later years which may have been prompted by similar practice during the second Boer War.