British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-05-19, 11:41 AM

Default Essex Regt with laurel spray

I've just acquired one of these, standard OR bimetal badge with shank, except that the usual "ESSEX" on the tablet has been replaced by a laurel spray.

The regimental museum has an example and I know of one other forum member who has one.

Keith Hook has not been able to confirm what it was for and when. Laurel suggest territorial / volunteer to me but we know they already have specific badges for the Regiment.

Bosleys recently sold one described as "Essex Regiment rare OR’s cap badge with laurel spray in place of ‘Egypt’" but no other information.

Can anyone shed any light on what this might be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Essex with laurel spray.jpg (18.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 23-05-19, 12:22 AM

That's a great find Michael.
Old 23-05-19, 10:59 PM

Greetings Michael.

Hope all is ticketyboo with you.

I am envious, yours is now only the fourth example of this badge I have seen or know about.

I also asked Keith in respect of said item and although not knowing for whom it was intended, he believed that it was issued, evidenced by a ground dug relic he has.

Nevertheless, apparently a very scarce badge and unfortunately one that I missed being sold a few years ago for not much more than a few quid or so if my memory is correct.

The dealer site showed it as an Essex regiment badge and being sold at the price of a 'normal' one.

Hopefully, one day we will discover the identity of it.

Regards.

Brian
Old 24-05-19, 06:49 AM

Michael, without wanting to know how much you paid for the Essex badge, could you give a guide as to the market value of the badge. I have never seen this type of badge before, if you want to move it on
Regards Terry
Old 24-05-19, 07:40 AM

Default Essex Regt

Based upon Bosleys last sale of one I don't think you'll get much change from 200GBP.

Stephen.
Old 24-05-19, 07:40 AM

Could you post a picture of the rear of the badge please?
Old 24-05-19, 08:56 AM

I’d love to know as I have one too, I also have a similar Middlesex Regt one as well.
Old 24-05-19, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I’d love to know as I have one too, I also have a similar Middlesex Regt one as well.
Hi Keith,
A Middlesex Regt one now I’ve never seen one of these!!very interesting, I’m guessing the Albuhera scroll but with laurels ? is that a bi-metal badge?and the reverse of the scroll is that blank or have the laurels been stamped through have you a picture you could show be great to see do I sound a bit excited
Thanks

Gerard
Old 24-05-19, 10:34 AM

This is a very interesting thread. I guess our first thoughts are not regular Bn, by process of elimination what does that assumption leave - TF or Militia or other - would Militia be reverse metals for the Regiments we know about with laurels ie Essex or Middlesex? Recalling Middlesex has several TF variants with South Africa scroll do we discount a Bn with 'lineage' service in South Africa? - Recalling Essex Cyclists is normally blank - is it a variant TF without service in South Africa - or could it be a Service or other War Raised Battalion - sorry but just thinking aloud and my thoughts could be complete twaddle ...
Mike
Old 24-05-19, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mike

Definitely not a Service or War raised battalion as they were authorised to wear the Regulars badge from the outset.

I did wonder whether it could be Cyclists as well.

I suspect a short-lived militia badge but it could be cadets.

One final option is 1918 Volunteer battalion (VTC successors) as these battalions were issued Regular badges but I understand from KLR that they were to wear the old pre1916 TF badges without battlehonours.
Old 24-05-19, 01:39 PM

Well I'm glad this has been of such interest.

Terry, all - as Stephen has said Bosleys sold one earlier this year and I reckon that is about the ball park for these.

Brian, it is a scarce one although with Keith's post that's another confirmed one and there must surely be more.

High Wood - I'll pick it up in June with my next trip to the UK and will post an image of the back then.

Mike - the Essex Regt militia badge is as you say reversed metals but otherwise same i.e. with Egypt shown, there's an example of one in my Forum album. Also images of the known & confirmed TF and Cyclist badges, all of which are listed in K&K. This one isn't, but the quality looks right.

Alan, VTC or similar would be rather nice! Let's hope there is someone who can confirm that, or else confirm whatever else it is.
Old 24-05-19, 02:13 PM

Very interesting insight Alan - cadets, VTC or similar options sound interesting, a minefield to me but acknowledging the great albums put together by yourself and others, and the fantastic information shared on this forum.

Michael - I am really pleased you have such an interesting badge given your Essex attachments ... another book is required ;-)
What a great discovery - extremely good of you to start this thread.
I have just been looking at your albums ... The Essex militia is lovely!

Mike
Old 24-05-19, 03:30 PM

Default Essex rest with laurel spray

In discussing badges with laurel spray should we not also include Somerset LI?
Old 24-05-19, 03:50 PM

Lovely badge and lovely quality. Doesn’t look a war made badge to me, I’d say pre WW1. My money would be on trial territorial design or militia.

Michael - am I correct in guessing it has rectangular braze holes behind then scroll and Sphinx? The Sphinx and castle look identical to an erased scroll Essex I have. I’d guess some further die ‘hobbing’ has gone on to produce your little gem.
Old 25-05-19, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post

Michael - I am really pleased you have such an interesting badge given your Essex attachments ... another book is required ;-)
What a great discovery - extremely good of you to start this thread.
I have just been looking at your albums ... The Essex militia is lovely!

Mike
Yikes - not sure I have the energy (or the knowledge) for that!!

Glad you liked the albums though. I had some fortunate finds recently and happy to share.