British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-24, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I used to think that the VB did not have Brodricks (why would they as they bought them) but I have now seen VB titles being worn with Brodricks so a few did.

I am still dubious that bespoke OR's militia badge were made in any quantitys and for some (most) regiments I suspect there never was an ORs militia badge. Why go to the expense of such a thing?

Unfortunately attributed photos of the militia 1903-08 are very scarce.
I think you’re right that they certainly weren’t made in great numbers Alan, but I believe the SNCOs and officers would have worn them. The joining of the militia with the regulars was quite seismic at the time with significant debates in Parliament and as part of the settling down process there were considerable deliberations about creating new badges that took into consideration any key features from the parents of the forming regiments.

I wrote about this creative friction in the introduction here http://www.uniformology.com/INSIGNIA-00.html In the case of Somersetshire the old 13th clearly made little concession to the militia, although apart from their motto that was perhaps too pitched towards defence and unsuitable for a more multi roled regiment, the Somersetshire Militia didn’t really have any strong iconography.

In short then I agree with you that numbers of badges were undoubtedly small, but I don’t believe that the die was a work of complete imaginative fiction and created for the benefit of gullible badge collectors.

Any special auxiliaries (Militia and VF/TF unit) badges that exist are largely because of battle honours reflected on the badges that were considered only applicable to the regular battalions. JELLALABAD is an example in case.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 19-03-24 at 04:54 PM.
Old 19-03-24, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Toby

Some good points. However I do believe a die was cut just for collectors to produce the ORs badges seen aplenty but I agree that it could be based on a design worn by militia officers. Their badges would be privately sourced so a bespoke design was a realistic proposal. SNCOs are a possibility but again would their badges were sourced by the regiment and not issued?

Another factor would be that it is possible/ probable that officers and WOs would be wearing large badges on peak cap before 1905.

One day when I retire I will go to Somerset Museuem and see if I can access the military archives.

Alan
Old 19-03-24, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

I have been thinking this through and looking at my notes. I should add that my continued work into OTCs has revealed a surprising number who wore Regular pattern badges in 1908 rather than TF ones. In fact in 1908-15 when most were founded with the exception of TF artillery the OTCs seemed to have opted for their own designs or Regular badges. The reason this is odd is because when badges were worn then most wore VB badges (mostly collars) pre 1908.

I recently learnt from a Forum member that Leys wore the Suffolks badge - the 3 tower version and not the TF as shown in photos of the cadets at the time.

Thinking about it this might suggest that the blank seeded scrolls SLI are not Kings School Taunton OTC at all but might indeed be 1905-08 militia. So if Bath OTC wore the 1st Bn badge - why not Kings? Bath OTC did ask the CO of the 1st Bn for permission so perhaps King's did not?

Not to say that officers pattern did not have the wreath either.

Every day a school day.

Alan
Old 19-03-24, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Toby

Some good points. However I do believe a die was cut just for collectors to produce the ORs badges seen aplenty but I agree that it could be based on a design worn by militia officers. Their badges would be privately sourced so a bespoke design was a realistic proposal. SNCOs are a possibility but again would their badges were sourced by the regiment and not issued?

Another factor would be that it is possible/ probable that officers and WOs would be wearing large badges on peak cap before 1905.

One day when I retire I will go to Somerset Museuem and see if I can access the military archives.

Alan
Although badges for the regiments’ were, for officers, purchased from outfitters, or dedicated regimental tailors, they could not for a regiment of the line, with its mix of auxiliary units simply be made up without any formal approval. This was usually sought via the regimental colonel in a submission to the Army dress committee, or an equivalent body depending upon period. We are not talking about the likes of WW1 raised service battalions, sponsored by city corporations, or sports teams, but regiments of the Army establishment.

I know that you will understand, unlike some blinkered collectors, the direct link between insignia and the headdress and uniform on which it was worn. For the militia a consistent feature was that rank and file headdress was invariably simple and with quite generic insignia. It was just officers and SNCOs that usually wore discrete and more complex insignia to match and distinguish their superior status.

The type of badge with the spray of laurels is that marked by the introduction of the Austrian type field cap, and it’s known that for rank and file these caps initially usually featured collar badges, or for some corps, shoulder titles. I’d happily wager that the Prince Albert’s militia battalions would have worn one of these, just as many of the light infantry regulars did.

I believe it very likely that the militia SNCOs and officers wore the special badge, matching in its outline appearance their regular counterparts in rank and status, but without the JELLALABAD honour. These units shared the depot, appeared alongside each other and similar badges promoted coherence, a sense of brotherhood, and belonging.

However, the Militia were perpetually significantly understrength right up to the end of their existence, so much so that they were one aspect under specific scrutiny in the lessons learned examinations following the 2nd Boer War. There were thus already significantly few badges given their likely wear by just officers and SNCOs, and on top of that few units were up to establishment anyway. Six years after the war the Militia was formally stood down and replaced by the Special Reserve. They remained well under strength at the point of their discontinuance.

In the interim period the peaked forage cap for officers only began issue at regimental level in 1902 (1900 for the general staff) and for soldiers on the regular establishment in 1905. Few of the militia would have received these latter and the few photos that survive seem to continue to show the Austrian FSC as the most common headdress for rank and file recruits under training until at least 1905.

With all of these factors in mind I’m not even the slightest bit surprised that well over a century later only a very few of the militia pattern badges survive or that many of them still circulating might be restrikes. Original badges would command a premium and be in the portfolios of the wealthiest collectors, few of whom, I suspect, frequent this forum. Superior quality badges for SNCOs were authorised (mentioned) by clothing regulations but with a caveat - to be funded under regimental arrangements (this was traditionally via canteen funds).

NB. The reason there are so few photos of militia circa 1903-1908 is twofold. First that there were few of them embodied in uniformed service at one time, usually just the permanent staff, who tended to be dressed as regulars, and a few enlistees undergoing training. Secondly this latter category, that of enlistees, comprised a combined mass along with regular recruits. They trained together and were dressed alike as recruits under training, the only difference was that militia went home after 4-months and regular’s completed 6-months.

During that whole period of basic training the permanent staff tried to encourage the best militiamen to switch to a regular engagement at the 4-month point, using the combined argument of not leaving new found mates behind and flattery that they had a field marshals baton in their knapsack. These men were all dressed largely the same during training and so the photos we see do not readily separate them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0068.jpg (27.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1303.jpg (70.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3329.jpeg (60.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3333.jpg (46.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3334.jpg (99.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 20-03-24 at 12:57 PM.
Old 19-03-24, 06:53 PM

When I was going through the Gaunt stuff offloaded by the NAM there was a bag of these bronze collars clearly labelled Somerset Militia. These are full sized, no sign of the upper scroll being removed.

Doesn’t help the argument here as it’s an officer’s collar badge and there was no sign of facing ones, not to say they didn’t exist as DNW had first dibs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5119.jpg (72.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 19-03-24, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
When I was going through the Gaunt stuff offloaded by the NAM there was a bag of these bronze collars clearly labelled Somerset Militia. These are full sized, no sign of the upper scroll being removed.

Doesn’t help the argument here as it’s an officer’s collar badge and there was no sign of facing ones, not to say they didn’t exist as DNW had first dibs.
That’s very interesting Keith and as they’re all left facing it implies that perhaps pairs were provided by the supply chain but that all the right facing badges were issued as FSC cap insignia. Ostensibly that seems entirely possible as alternative regimental insignia to the generic GS bugle horn that I posted above used as occasional collar insignia and later part of post 1905 two-tier shoulder titles.

Intriguingly your badge is neither, shown nor mentioned in Colin Churchill’s magnus opus.

What hue of bronze, was there a suggestion that they might be drab service dress collar badges for the militia? Are they officers service dress bronze in appearance or just gilding metal that goes very dull and dark when not polished. In other words, other ranks badges, or OSDB do you think?

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 20-03-24 at 01:07 PM.
Old 19-03-24, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Keith

I have seen these and agree they are militia badges and just the ones I think were worn on the FSC.

Alan
Old 19-03-24, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Toby

Once again I totally agree with you specifically why militia photos are so rare.
Alas this is the same reason why there are so few records about the militia. They lacked the prestige of the Regulars or the social standing of the VB.

Alan
Old 19-03-24, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Toby

Once again I totally agree with you specifically why militia photos are so rare.
Alas this is the same reason why there are so few records about the militia. They lacked the prestige of the Regulars or the social standing of the VB.

Alan
Yes I think you’re right in your summary.
Old 19-03-24, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Toby

Alan
The fact that they’re stated to be bronze is significant and if accurate implies that they were prepared specifically for drab service dress when it was introduced for officers in 1902. Again, badges linked with specific uniform, not in isolation.
Old 19-03-24, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
There were two Somersetshire Militia Regiments. For an impression: Somersetshire Miltia
Thanks Henk, outstanding.
Andy
Old 19-03-24, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Andy as background to this the Somersetshire Militia was one of those that had a particularly long history although like most there was some broken service. In simple terms there were originally two ‘regiments’ of Somersetshire Militia, First and Second with the former having existed quite a while longer. There were shakos worn in full dress each with its own star plate and a shared motto of ‘DEFENDEMUS’. I suspect that the rank and file had a more simple, generic star, as that was common for the regular line too. The heyday of these militia units was probably around the time of the Crimean War, when Britain’s economic might was in its ascendancy along with naval power and a well funded, albeit still relatively small army backed by keen auxiliaries.

In the mid 1870s both regiments became designated as light infantry, perhaps already being encouraged to align themselves with the ‘localised brigade depot’ system set up by Cardwell in 1874, whereby the 13th (First Somerset) Light Infantry regulars had been permanently assigned to Taunton’s barracks as their depot and HQ. Initially the militiamen were still wearing the old pork pie style Kilmarnock bonnets that in those days were omnipresent for line and militia rather like the beret for today’s infantry. Originally they had simple brass letters SM and a crown surmounted, but by the 1840s the universal militia insignia was a simple title scroll with Victorian crown over. During the 1870s a phased issue began of the plain blue glengarry cap and it’s probable that only sergeants and officers wore a special badge on these (see two QVC badges, one on red background), with perhaps the crown and title scroll (also on red background) remaining in use for the soldiers below that level.

Things changed quite famously following Childers 1881 Reforms, which took Cardwell’s arrangement a step further and, as part of that, the First and Second Somersetshire Militia (Light Infantry), became the 3rd and 4th Battalions The Prince Albert’s (Somersetshire Light Infantry) Militia. I disagree a little with Alan O in that while I think he’s right that there are many restrikes around, I believe there was a die for the Militia battalion’s own badge where the JELLALABAD honour at top was replaced by a spray of laurels. The various volunteer battalions each had their own versions of the bugle cap badge with additions reflecting their own lineage and service.

Like several counties Somersetshire had originally had two regular regiments assigned to its boundaries in 1782, as well as the two Militia Regiments. They were the 13th (First Somersetshire) and 40th (Second Somersetshire). In July 1881 the 40th became the 1st Battalion Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment).

I believe that Henk is absolutely correct with the badges that he’s laid out.
Thanks Toby, very interesting as usual.
Andy
Old 19-03-24, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Toby

Alan
Quote:
There were two Somersetshire Militia Regiments. For an impression: Somersetshire Miltia
Henk have you changed your presentation since this thread was started? I hope not.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 19-03-24 at 10:05 PM.
Old 20-03-24, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Henk have you changed your presentation since this thread was started? I hope not.
Yes I have. You think the earlier one with the laurel spread for the first and the SA for the second is in fact better?

I can change back with the same amount of almost no work.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 20-03-24, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yes I have. You think the earlier one with the laurel spread for the first and the SA for the second is in fact better?

I can change back with the same amount of almost no work.
There was nothing wrong with your original presentation. Your research was excellent. It’s necessary to understand uniform and headdress and how they differed between Regulars, Militia and Volunteers, or Territorials. Do not be put off by those who look at cap insignia completely in isolation, without researching, or understanding the contextual dress with which the insignia is worn. Not all badge collectors do that of course, but a lot do.

The 4th Battalion The Prince Albert’s (Somersetshire Light Infantry) volunteered for foreign service in 1899 and embarked for South Africa, strength 27 officers, 361 NCOs and men, Colonel W. Long commanding. Medals received by battalion: Queen’s South Africa Medal with clasp “Cape Colony”. King’s South Africa Medal with clasps “1901-1902”. The volunteer battalions (VB) that sent “service companies” to South Africa subsequently adopted cap badges incorporating the South Africa honour, I do not know if the 4th Battalion (Militia) did.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 20-03-24 at 01:09 PM.
Closed Thread