British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-17, 08:23 PM

Default Royal West Kent Badge Comparison Questions

I'm going to try something here and hopefully don't violate any rules doing it.

I don't like using links as they eventually die or the photos they link to get pulled and we're stuck with a dead link and the thread is virtually useless as time goes on.

So, with that said...

Of the early badges I am currently seeking, the Royal West Kent is one of them. One of my guys served in the unit from a period (~1910 - 1914), exact dates are unknown but he accepted commission in October 1914 and was a Pte. in the RWK 1/5th Battalion Territorial Force at the time.

So, in my search, I noted a difference in horse styles and wanted to know if the differences were manufacturer related or, IF the subtle differences were more reflective of a era design change?

I see an older thread where someone else tried to ask this along similar lines but it really didn't go anywhere and I read somewhere else that one design might actually be 1930's era. I don't know.

So, here are three photos of badges I do not own. One is from member Longshanks and is shown in his album and the gallery here on the forum. I hope he doesn't mind me using it here for discussion and educational purposes. This design appears to be the widely accepted circa WW1 design.

The other two badges are currently listed on Mike Young's website and I have Mike's permission to use the photos on the forum for discussion purposes in hopes of determining the details on the two badges.

First, the three badges, front/back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rwk1.JPG (85.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg rwk2.JPG (76.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg rwk3.JPG (77.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 21-01-17, 08:34 PM

Here's the same three badges (front) with areas noticeably different. The mane is also different but I didn't call that out here.

Notice the ears on the one that looks more like "mule" ears.

Note the shoulder and tail designs.

Note one has a different style first letter.

What are the thoughts on these? Are they all legit?

If you look at the example with the longer slider, it appears that it might have been replaced or mounted higher. There is some greenish verdigris around the horse's head and inside area that might allude to a repair, not sure what to think on it.

Comments please.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LS1.JPG (92.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg my1.JPG (101.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg my2.jpg (57.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 21-01-17, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Tim

I don't think its possible to date the makers' variations. The slider length are all after 1906 but other than that they could be any time after that up to the 1950s.

This one is Victorian with 3 lugs. If you can find the same die with a slider then you know it's early

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=117410

Alan
Old 21-01-17, 09:32 PM

Hi Alan,

Yes, I seen that Victorian era piece last night in my search and noted Longshanks example (white background) has the same pattern looking at the areas I highlighted.

Again, just trying to figure out what era's are what before buying a bunch of badges, only to find out the badges are later in manufacture from the era I am looking to add.

Thank you!

Tim
Old 19-02-17, 12:31 AM

Well, I finally elected to go with the pattern that appears on known earlier badges. Slider measures 40.9 mm

I'm happy with it for what it's meant to represent.

Thanks again!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (40.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (49.4 KB, 19 views)