British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-17, 08:44 PM

Question Cap Badges - General Questions

New to this field . I've read several older threads, some did not seem to come to any consensus, so have many general type questions regarding WW1 era badges that remain.

1) Most of the period photos I see of guys in uniform, especially in the field, seem to show the peaked service cap in wear. How common were the berets or forage (service/garrison/overseas/side) style caps?

2) The vast majority of cap badges I see listed as WW1/WW2 have the slider style attachment. Most refer to them as "beret cap" badges. Was it common for "other ranks" to use slider style badges on the peaked (service/dress) caps as well? If so, is there a timeline when this became more prevalent? I think I read around 1902/03 but I'm not sure here.

3) What about officers, did they also utilize the slider mount style badges or, should the vast majority of officer badges be the style with loops or side tabs? How many loops should a WW1 cap badge have, 2 or 3?

4) I see gilt colored, bronzed, and bi-metal cap badges. I would assume, the gilt badges are officer "dress", the bi-metal for other ranks "dress" and the bronze (subdued) for all ranks "field service" caps, certainly in any war theatre. Is this generally correct?

5) Did officers wear the same pattern regimental cap badge as "other ranks" or, was their cap insignia different, like a general pattern badge that distinguished "officers"? I assume they wore the same pattern Regt badge, but want to clarify this point.

6) I assume that when a soldier/officer transfers to another regiment, then the cap badge also changes to the new regimental badge? Does the member keep the old badge or is it an issued type item that gets turned back in to the regiment/quartermaster?

That's enough for starters. Looking forward to hearing back and learning here.

Thank you!

Tim
Old 15-01-17, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

In WW1 the mainly caps were peaked: The stiff peaked cap, the trench cap with stitched peak, the 1915 Gor Blimey with ear flaps. The RFC wore a side cap pre war and carried this on.

berets were first worn by RTC in 1924.
Old 15-01-17, 10:15 PM

1) See Alan.

2) Most WWI ORs cap badges were slidered, most Scottish Glengarry badges were lugged.

3) Most officers badges were bladed or on longer lugs, amount of lugs depends on which badge, mostly just two.

4) Gilt or silver/gilt or silver for officers, bronze for officers service dress, gilding metal and/or white metal for other ranks.

5) some units had or have a different design between officers and other ranks badges.

6)Not always, officers badges were private purchase so outside of the quartermasters.

There are exceptions to everything I've just posted which makes the study of badges so fascinating.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 16-01-17, 02:46 AM

Guys,

Thanks, that is what I have been seeing as I read through various threads, that there seems to be no definitive answer that applies across the board for every case. It will be interesting going forward.

So, I guess I will just have to take each guy on a case by case basis and ask specifically what he would have worn.

Tim
Old 16-01-17, 06:38 AM

Hi Tim and welcome to the Forum Alan and Thomas have summed it up pretty well! But! the Royal Flying Corps was in its infancy so was in the main piloted by Gentleman Officers who wore the RFC cap badge, the Wings on there upper left breast pocket as well, but in old photos you see them wearing there old Regimental Collars.
Pre war genuinely only the wealthy could afford flying lessons, so as the Air War progressed anyone who could fly tranferred to this New arm, (there where instances of commeners! junior ranks becomming pilots) but this is a whole story in itself, but the History is great regards the variations before becomming in line with Regulations of dress as the RFC grew into its own Identity and became the Royal Air Force, Traditions!!
Am in a rush as off to work, so forgive any flaws as this is a whole area in and off itself untill it had settled into being! All the best billy
Old 18-01-17, 06:13 AM

I kind of feel like the old dead guy in "I Robot"... my responses will be limited...

I have two cap badges in the mail, one bi-metal for the Leicestershire Regt. and one bronze for the Royal Berkshire Regt.

Bought both prior to joining the forum but I think they are okay, based on what I am reading thus far. Either way, I really didn't spend much.

I'll post them once I have them in. Not realizing there are subtle differences in these, I will need to double check if the badges are the correct period representation for the guys in question.

As I cannot post the sales photos or any from online, I am kind of stuck asking general questions without being able to show what I am looking at. Kind of difficult and something I will have to get used to.

Thomas,

Thanks for breaking down the answers above, it helped. One point I still have questions on; what caps were the bi-metal badges worn on?

Wish I could contribute more but I can't at this point.

Tim
Old 18-01-17, 08:40 PM

Bi-metal badges were not specific for a type of headdress, just some units have bi-metal badges, and some don't.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 18-01-17, 09:11 PM

Again, many exceptions to my 'some units have bi-metal badges, and some don't' statement above.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 27-01-17, 07:37 PM

I didn't see another appropriate existing thread to add to, so will add here.

One of two badges I bought prior to joining the forum. I wasn't sure about attachments and thought this Berkshire might be gilt but I now think this is what is referred to as "gilding metal"?

I was hoping to add this to my officer group but I think it's strictly an OR badge, correct?

Tim
Old 27-01-17, 07:58 PM

Die stamped slidered badges are other ranks badges in 99,9% of the case. This seems gilding metal, again consistent with most OR's badges. Almost all officers badges are die cast, gilded/silver plated or silver, or bronzed for OSD and on blades or long lugs.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 27-01-17, 08:47 PM

Smile

No worries, only spent a couple of bucks for it. Will look for an officer version now and may keep this one, who knows, I may eventually get an OR item to go with it.

Thanks again for looking in.

Tim
Old 07-02-17, 06:06 AM

Well, out of four individuals I am gathering cap badges on, I'm pretty much set for one the guys that served in both the Leicestershire and York & Lancaster Regiments. Nice badges!

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leicestershire Regt WW1 Cap Badge.jpg (55.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg York and Lancaster Regt WW1 Cap Badge.jpg (70.3 KB, 12 views)