British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-11, 08:24 PM

Default SAS Wings

I believe these are all original, but can anyone assist with info on them?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS.jpg (54.5 KB, 146 views)
Member of: OMRS (#8154), Zimbabwe Medal Society (#141)
Interested in: Special Forces medals and badges

Websites:
Raiding Support Regiment 1943-45
C Squadron (Rhodesian) SAS
The Selous Scouts
Old 02-08-11, 09:54 PM
Banned

Marco you must have lost my email address

I hope you don't mind me changing your photo. As you know my small amount of expertise is relevant mainly to Rhodesian para wings.

SAS copy.jpg
  1. English para wing but I can't tell you what era.
  2. English para wing but I can't tell you what era.
  3. Rhodesian made and issued approx. 1963-1970 then replaced with the wing on tartan green (Padded).
  4. Rhodesian made and issued WWII. Very rare (Padded).
  5. English made bullion wing issued to approx the first RhSAS that were para trained when the RhSAS were reformed and para trained in late 1961 (Padded).
  6. English para wing but I can't tell you what era.
  7. RhSAS Officer's mess dress para wing 1970-1980 (Flat).

Last edited by rhodesianmilitaria; 03-08-11 at 01:13 PM. Reason: I forgot to add about whether they were padded or not.
Old 03-08-11, 06:24 AM

Thanks Peter, had a hunch on the 2 Rhodesian wings but was hoping someone could shed light on the Brit ones. Maybe the first one is Malayan period? 2 and 6 appear to be the same, whatever they are.

Thanks for the additional info, very very interesting.
Member of: OMRS (#8154), Zimbabwe Medal Society (#141)
Interested in: Special Forces medals and badges

Websites:
Raiding Support Regiment 1943-45
C Squadron (Rhodesian) SAS
The Selous Scouts
Old 03-08-11, 09:37 AM

hi the wing top left is a 1944 pattern British SAS wing worn late ww2 but also early post war by 21st SAS. Nice wing. Cheers JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollmarc View Post
I believe these are all original, but can anyone assist with info on them?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-11, 01:06 PM

Default Wings Parachutist SAS sealed pattern

I have posted this before but this is a poor quality black and white photocopy of the Sealed Pattern card for Wings "Parachutist SAS Regt" sealed 2 March 1946

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wings SAS WW2 Sealed pattern.jpg (40.5 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 03-08-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 02:12 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
I have posted this before but this is a photocopy of the Sealed Pattern card for Wings "Parachutist SAS Regt" sealed 2 March 1946

Tim
Here the Sealed Pattern card for Wings "Parachutist SAS Regt" sealed 2 March 1946 in in full colour

SAS PATT.jpg
Old 03-08-11, 06:32 PM

It always has been a mystery why this sealed pattern 1946 exist. The Sas was disbanded in oct 1945 and formally in 1946. The general explanation is that this is a tydying up act as the army can be slow. Why otherwise make a sealed pattern for a disbanded regiment? Sas collectors have had these wings on wartime bd's of vets and common opinion among sas collectors is that this is 1944 pattern. I believe some years ago also a sealed pattern 1944 was auctioned. Cheers JB

Last edited by HamandJam; 03-08-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 07:57 PM

I would expect that even though the Regiment was "disbanded" in October 1945, the SAS wings would continue to be worn by those entitled, regardless of their cap badge. As such a sealed pattern would be required.

Tim
Old 03-08-11, 08:31 PM

Default wings

hi Marc,

My feedback: a most interesting and very nice collection of wings, no doubt all originals.

1: the 1944 pattern of UK SAS wings, later sealed in 1946, worn from 1944 until well into the fifties, also by Rhodesian and New Zealand SAS in Malaya
2: SAS wings, fifties, made in the UK, worn in the UK and in Malaya
3: Early Rhodesian, agree with Peter's dating (1963-1970)
4: WW2 SAS wings, 9 feather pattern as worn by LRDG. Made in the UK, I think, but very interesting notion from Peter about them being made in Rhodesia. I have attached a picture of wings like that in my collection, which were worn by a former member of 21 SAS on his RAF uniform. You will find this pattern often in a LRDG context and worn by Rhodesians.
5: Bullion wings, officers dress wings
6: SAS wings, fifties, UK made, worn in UK and Malaya, identical to 2
7: Rhodesian mess dress wings, conform Peter's description

best regards,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS wings.jpg (3.3 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00039.jpg (41.0 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by johanwiegman; 04-08-11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 05:06 AM
Banned

Of course I don't know everything about Rhodesian para wings although I arguably have the second best collection of Southern Rhodesian and Rhodesian para wing, brevet, AD wing, APJI wing and Despatcher wing collection in existence. Next to Rhodesian PJI militaria it is part of my core collection and my main interest.

There were 10 SAS para wings worn officially by Rhodesian soldiers from WWII to 19 April 1980. I have all of them are in my collection and all including basic descriptions can be seen on my site here:
http://www.rhodesianmilitaria.com/page12.html

Rhodesians served in many British units during WWII including the SAS and the LRDG. My understanding is that the the wing labelled #4 was made in Rhodesia although I have no concrete evidence to show that. All Rhodesian para wings worn by the RhSAS that were made in Rhodesia after 1961 except the mess dress wings had nine feathers. This was unique only to the RhSAS and not to 22SAS, SASR or NZSAS.

Information regarding Rhodesian para wings can be very scant and difficult to find the facts. Some facts regarding them will never come to light. Some information regarding the creation of the RhPJI printed brevets only came to my attention two years ago whilst talking to the former OC. Info like this (which will be in my book) is not written anywhere and has never been forthcoming before. I have also been studying the first Army para wing used in Rhodesia for over a year and I am still yet to find all the facts and the answers to my questions. I guess this is what makes collecting so interesting.
Old 04-08-11, 07:26 AM

Hi Tim, interesting theory. I checked again the chronology: 1 and 2nd SAS regiment were disbanded 30 November 1945. Almost a year after it had disappeared to exist or disappeared into the ranks of other armies , Army Order 128 of August 1946 tardily tided up and officially disbanded the SAS as a whole with effect from June 30 1946( see the late LenWhittakers's book Some Talk of Private Armies page 89.) The sealed pattern card is dated 2March 1946. So likely indeed another tardily act of the Army buraucrats. Cheers, JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
I would expect that even though the Regiment was "disbanded" in October 1945, the SAS wings would continue to be worn by those entitled, regardless of their cap badge. As such a sealed pattern would be required.

Tim
Old 04-08-11, 05:22 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Peter, Good day.
Ref your comment "Info like this (which will be in my book) is not written anywhere" - do you have a 'likely to be published date' yet?
david
Old 04-08-11, 11:27 PM
Banned

Hello David,

It will be published somewhere between the beginning and the middle of December.
Old 05-08-11, 10:01 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
Hello David,

It will be published somewhere between the beginning and the middle of December.
Cheers, I'll keep my eyes open for a notification or better still, maybe you could let me know directly?
Thanks, david
Old 05-08-11, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Cheers, I'll keep my eyes open for a notification or better still, maybe you could let me know directly?
Thanks, david
I will do.