British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-07-11, 05:35 PM

Default Feedback

Hi Harry,

I believe the winged dagger patch is an uncut beret badge, not a badge worn on the arm. The M&M patch is OK. So are all of the shoulder tabs.

Best regards,

Johan
Old 15-07-11, 07:04 PM

"I believe the winged dagger patch is an uncut beret badge, not a badge worn on the arm."

Hi Johan

Thanks for your input on this and the other recent threads I have uploaded badges to.
I know SAS beret badges of this era had a "waxed paper" type backing. Is there any possibility that this winged dagger badge was the arm flash worn with the Artist Rifles cap badge?
Has anyone a picture of both sides of an Artists Rifles winged dagger arm badge for comparrison?
Regards
Old 15-07-11, 07:52 PM

Default 21 SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Katyn View Post
"I believe the winged dagger patch is an uncut beret badge, not a badge worn on the arm."

Hi Johan

Thanks for your input on this and the other recent threads I have uploaded badges to.
I know SAS beret badges of this era had a "waxed paper" type backing. Is there any possibility that this winged dagger badge was the arm flash worn with the Artist Rifles cap badge?
Has anyone a picture of both sides of an Artists Rifles winged dagger arm badge for comparrison?
Regards
21 SAS Arm Badge - an identical one is still on the donor's BD blouse:
img039.jpgimg041.jpg
Old 16-07-11, 12:35 PM

Default 21 SAS

Mike,

Perfect sample of early 21 pattern.

Best regards,

Johan
Old 20-07-11, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanwiegman View Post
hi Tonomachi,

The good news is the shoulder title Special Air Service (Artists) is original.
That title is very rare as most were cut down to form Special Air Service titles. You can tell the fakes as the '(Artists)' bit is always too small. On the real ones, you can cut off the '(Artists)' and still have a more or less normal title left, which is what happened) in the late fifties.

On the 21 battledress picture attached you can still see the last remaining dots of the brackets around (Artists). On the other pictures you can see two original titles and one that was cut down to Special Air Service. The 2nd picture shows the reverse of the titles.

The Mars & Minerva cloth patch is good also. It was worn on the arm until the late fifties and then dropped.

21 SAS was wearing the white metal Mars & Minerva 'Artists' badge on the maroon beret for a short while, never the 'Artists Rifles' beret badge (which is from WW1 or so).

During WW2 the Artists were an Officer Cadet Training Unit and after the war the SAS was resurrected as 21 Special Air Service (Artists Rifles).

I think most of the metal Artists items you display are pre-SAS. The white metal cross belt badge is a reproduction and was never worn.

The Special Air Service Malayan Scouts shoulder title is reproduction. You do realize that is not 21, but the early 22 SAS.

Overall, you have a nice collection of very good SAS items!

best regards,

Johan
Hi johan Thanks for your post! One small correction: the Mars & Minerva cloth badge was worn on the arm until the mid 1960's.
Old 20-07-11, 08:11 PM

hi johan: Thanks for your interesting post above.
The cloth M & M badge on the arm was taken up when the maroon beret with the M & M badge was replaced at the end of the 1950's with the winged dagger on the sand beret. The M & M cloth badge was in service to at least to the mid 1960's.
Best regards!
Old 21-07-11, 10:12 PM

Default M&M

Hi Peter,

You are right about the cloth M&M being worn a bit longer than end fifties. Do you happen to know the exact year when wearing it was discontinued? I think well before BD went out of service.

21 started to wear the cloth M&M on the arm when the white metal M&M on the maroon beret was replaced by the winged dagger sometime Spring 1956 or so. In many cases the cloth square winged dagger patch worn on the arm was cut into a shield shape and then worn on the maroon beret. The maroon beret was replaced by the beige beret end fifties. This did not happen all in one go and a mix of berets was worn for a while.

I need to check a few dates here and there! Have some good reference material, but exact dates or years are surprisingly difficult to find out.

Similar interesting stories can be told for the various shoulder titles worn by 21 from the start until BD was phased out.

Best regards,

Johan

Last edited by johanwiegman; 18-01-12 at 10:54 PM.
Old 23-07-11, 09:51 AM

Hi johan,
They were certainly wearing the cloth M&M in the mid 1960's.
I will endeavour to find out info regarding the badge/beret changeover and will advise in due course!
Best regards,
Peter99
Old 27-07-11, 11:32 AM

Default change of badges

hi Peter,

I made some checks:

21 SAS was raised in 1947. From the start they were wearing the white-metal Mars & Minerva on the maroon beret from 1947-1956.

21 wore the shoulder title "21st S.A.S. (Artists)" (on both arms), parachute wings (on the right arm) and the rectangular/square Winged Dagger patch on the right arm also.

21 started to wear the Winged Dagger on the maroon beret from 19th March 1956. At the same time they adopted the cloth Mars & Minerva patch on the arm. That M&M patch was worn until the mid-sixties, below the shoulder title and parachute wings on the right arm.

The initial "21st S.A.S. (Artists)" shoulder title was already changed around 1954 or so to "Special Air Service (Artists)".

The "Artists" bit of the shoulder title was taken off around the end of the fifties. The shoulder title "Special Air Service" was retained until battledress was phased out.

The change from the maroon to the sand coloured beret took place for both 21 and 22 SAS by the second half of 1957 (by War Office Dress Committee approval on 12 October 1956). It took a while for the sand coloured beret to be universally adopted (in 21 by early 1958).

best regards,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21st SAS (Artists) set.jpg (33.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 21 title wings shoulder flash.jpg (29.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Artists set of title and wings.jpg (28.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SAS title set 1.jpg (60.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Set of metal beret badge title wings and winged dagger.jpg (31.6 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by johanwiegman; 18-01-12 at 10:55 PM.
Old 27-07-11, 01:19 PM

Hi Johan,
with your knowledge and your collection you should be able to write a nice book on the subject! I know I would buy it,.... even though I don't collect sas anymore. Maybe you could join forces with some other guys on the forum.
I think a lot of collectors would be interested, and just f*ck the fakers who will use the info to upgrade their copies.

Cheer/groeten!
Pieter
Old 27-07-11, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter View Post
Hi Johan,
with your knowledge and your collection you should be able to write a nice book on the subject! I know I would buy it,.... even though I don't collect sas anymore. Maybe you could join forces with some other guys on the forum.
I think a lot of collectors would be interested, and just f*ck the fakers who will use the info to upgrade their copies.

Cheer/groeten!
Pieter
Hi Pieter,
Not meaning to alter the thread but you know a lot of info that is out there still doesn't enable the fakers to make things close to perfect. Look at the info that I have on my web site and they still can't fake Selous Scouts Officers insignia properly, although I have seen one very good faked badge. The problem is when writing a book on something like SAS badges, wings etc is to make sure that there aren't any fakes listed as genuine by mistake. I know of three authors of Rhodesian militaria books that have listed items as genuine when in fact they are fakes made not long after the war ended. To me that would be one of the biggest problems and then confirming what was official, unofficial but still worn and tolerated etc., god what a job. Would be an interesting book though.
Old 31-07-11, 08:23 AM

Hi Lads,

I have an example that clearly has been worn as arm patch by 21st SAS but appears an uncut beret badge, may be pre-dates the 21 pattern just shown here?
JB

Quote:
Mike,

Perfect sample of early 21 pattern.

Best regards,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7436.jpg (95.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 31-07-11, 10:00 AM

Default 21 SAS winged dagger

Hi JB,

In the world of SAS insignia a lot is possible... I do not believe your patch predates the other pattern, but it could have been worn in parallel to the other pattern, which is the typically 21 pattern.

It looks as if your winged dagger patch was actually worn. Since beret badges came uncut (unshaped) it is even possible your badge was worn on a beret like that. I have seen a picture of a beret badge worn unshaped. It is in SAS Rhodesia. See attached picture.

Best regards,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Major Campbell-Morisson Square beret badge.JPG (49.8 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by johanwiegman; 31-07-11 at 10:12 AM.
Old 31-07-11, 10:11 AM

Default THANKS

A very informative and well illustrated posting all round - Thanks Mike
Old 31-07-11, 10:43 AM

Hi Johan,

i think it could be a late ww2 uncut SAS beret badge used in late 40-ties when 21st SAS was raised.

Cheers,

JB
Quote:
Hi JB,

In the world of SAS insignia a lot is possible... I do not believe your patch predates the other pattern, but it could have been worn in parallel to the other pattern, which is the typically 21 pattern.

It looks as if your winged dagger patch was actually worn. Since beret badges came uncut (unshaped) it is even possible your badge was worn on a beret like that. I have seen a picture of a beret badge worn unshaped. It is in SAS Rhodesia. See attached picture.

Best regards,

Johan