British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-02-11, 06:43 PM
Peter J

Default 6th City of London - opinions please.

Dear All,

The following 6th City of London Battalion badge arrived today, but there are a couple of things I am not quite happy with. I'd appreciate a critical eye or two being cast over it if possible please:

DSCF4290.jpgDSCF4286.jpgDSCF4294.jpgDSCF4298.jpg

I've been reading Matti's thread HERE, and most of my badge's attributes seem to fit in with the positive aspects mentioned therein, but mine seems just a bit too shiny (not particularly discernible from the images) and also quite soft.

There are good aspects to the badge, which is what makes it all the more difficult for me to appraise without a little help.

Any thoughts/advice appeciated please... it may have to go back!

With thanks,

Peter
Old 28-02-11, 07:01 PM

Hi Peter, I just posted a very similar badge I had in my collection, and had the same thoughts you expressing here. I posted in the end as after some close inspection I came to the conclusion it was OK; even with a near flawless front finish. The rear of mine looks more worn, and has the gold solder and very faint crimp. I posted it to show the same front finish. Just based on the front finish I nearly sold it to someone as a possible re-strike. Glad I didn't now.

My only observation on yours is the rear also looks very clean with little wear on the paint also. My thoughts could be re-painted maybe; but real.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34TH BATTALION R.jpg (69.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 34TH BATTALION F.jpg (78.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 28-02-11, 07:29 PM
Peter J

Hello Simon,

Precisely... it's the possible 'Pimp My Ride' paint job that's putting the fly in the ointment. Everything else (with the possible exceptoin of the badge's slight softness) seems to be as it should; long-ish slider with decent crimp, voided centre, etc. etc.

Does yours have any 'just painted' smell to it?... mine seems fine.

PJ
Old 28-02-11, 07:41 PM

Nah, no smell to it. If mine has been re-painted it was done some time ago. I got this with about 40 others from a large collection that a sword seller had picked up with some swords etc. It wasn't his thing, so I got them all for a fiver each. I think it was possibly repainted by the original collector many years ago.

Simon.
Old 28-02-11, 07:46 PM

Here's my 6th I got in the same set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6TH(CITY OF LONDON) BATTALION (R).jpg (71.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 6TH(CITY OF LONDON) BATTALION.jpg (79.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 28-02-11, 07:56 PM
Peter J

Thanks Simon,

Sounds like you were on the better end of the deal with that sword seller.

PJ
Old 28-02-11, 08:00 PM

Yeah, didn't do to bad. Pretty much got the majority of the London regiment in my album, along with some goof TF one's and cavalry. The one's I got you can tell as I coded them as PT in the brackets below the pic in the albums.

Still Pete, I like your 6th, still looks good from the slider and connection position.

Simon.
Old 28-02-11, 08:04 PM
Peter J

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Yeah, didn't do to bad. Pretty much got the majority of the London regiment in my album, along with some goof TF one's and cavalry. The one's I got you can tell as I coded them as PT in the brackets below the pic in the albums.

Still Pete, I like your 6th, still looks good from the slider and connection position.

Simon.
Yeah, good on you, Si.

One for us collectors for a change.

Cheers,

PJ
Old 28-02-11, 08:19 PM
Banned

Default London Regt & KRRC Blackened badges

Hi gents,

I tend to share your concerns with the finish on these London / KRRC type blackened badges.

I have held back from purchasing examples of the 6th, 11th, 12th and 15th online due to these concerns, especially when they are priced at up to £35 in some cases.

I have turned down a 6th from a dealer in person even though he was adamant the badge was genuine because I was just not happy with the blackening, which I considered to be just too “good” to be true.

Maybe I am just being over cautious but rather that than pay top whack for a badge that in my opinion is probably easily faked.

I accept that as suggested these badges could have been repainted by previous owners but it still rings alarm bells to be honest.

Pictured below are examples of a recently purchased 12th Rangers badge that I had my doubts about upon its arrival although it passes the bend test with flying colours. I have to put my hands up to rubbing through to the high points on this badge. It seems to me a lot “more original” since I did but I am prepared to accept the worst if anyone expresses doubt with regard to it.

Also pictured is a non voided 9th QVR that in comparison to my voided example I consider to be a lesser badge in strike and finish / blackening. The blackening on the voided example (not pictured) is a different shade and in my opinion a lot more convincing.

I didn’t pay top whack for either of these badges so maybe they were a good buy if they are originals.

With regard to your returning the badge to the dealer Peter, I have done the same with a badge that was considered genuine but just didn’t do it for me. The dealer in question expressed no qualms about me returning it and I hope that you have a similar experience should you decide to go down that road.

Regards

Ry

(P.s. For a cracking example of 6th London badge that I would pay top whack for please see Orasot's latest addition to his Londons album, Very nice IMO)

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 28-02-11, 09:06 PM

Hi Ry, I don't know. I looked at Wilf's album, very impressive; but there are still some "very black" somewhat flaw free examples in there. I can't say either way as the backs aren't shown. I can't imagine Wilf would post iffy one's or re-strikes.

I don't think being clean is an automatic dismissal. I would imagine re-painting is no different than re-lugging or re-slidering.

Regards

Simon.
Old 28-02-11, 09:24 PM

Simon got in there before me !! These are my 3, the one that looks the newest is 100% genuine, from the Firmin collection I was lucky enough to get hold of,I know where it came from & it has the small flaw top left of the cross & a shorter slider as well !! None of these you would expect to see but here they are !! PM me if you want details !!!! The black on this one is mint, I haven't touched it with anything, it's how it came out of the old bag ! One of my other 2 has the same mark on the cross so I believe this to be Firmin too, the other has no mark, all are genuine in my opinion. It's very difficult with blackened badges at the best of times, but even harder just from a pic ! I'll dig out pics of the backs too, cheers,
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firmin 6th London.jpg (80.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 6th Lon.jpg (91.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 6th London.jpg (89.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 28-02-11, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi Ry, I don't know. I looked at Wilf's album, very impressive; but there are still some "very black" somewhat flaw free examples in there. I can't say either way as the backs aren't shown. I can't imagine Wilf would post iffy one's or re-strikes.

I don't think being clean is an automatic dismissal. I would imagine re-painting is no different than re-lugging or re-slidering.

Regards

Simon.
Hi Simon,

I don't doubt the originality of Wilf's badges at all, my link to his latest 6th was just to show what I consider to be a safe bet.

As for a clean badge being an automatic dismissal, of course not but If I am going to pay top whack for one of these badges I would rather have the opportunity to handle it rather than rely on a description from an online vendor.
As for re-painting, I can understand it if this is done as part of the repair process for re-lugging / slidering but personally don't see the point of re-painting otherwise, this in my opinion could possibly induce doubt.

Ry
Old 28-02-11, 09:36 PM
Peter J

Interesting development, gentlemen.

One of my considerations (and I mentioned this to Ry, prior to the badge's arrival) was that it looked a bit shiny on the dealer's online website.

The 'top whack' factor is something that certainly needs to be taken into account for an in-the-flesh 'sight-unseen' badge, but since the dealer I purchased this badge from offers a no-quibble money back guarantee, there was no question of me committing to buy on this occasion.

Whether I like it or not, the paint on this badge does look too good, however, the badge itself seems to fit 99% of the necessary requirements that would satisfy me of it being kosher.

PJ

Last edited by Peter J; 01-03-11 at 07:34 AM.
Old 28-02-11, 09:37 PM

No doubts cast here, just that as Ry said one has to question more. For me now it's " back's first" review. The back's on both my very black fronts have the signs of wear that I look for and also the crimp. Although as we know the crimp isn't a dead cert either, but helps combined with that wear pattern. Also, I look for the gold colored solder too. And as you say Ry, as long as they aren't expensive, take a chance. At 5 pounds each for mine, I think I took the right chance....I hope..
Simon.
Old 28-02-11, 09:54 PM
Banned

So that's a keeper then PJ

Now gents if we have exhausted this one, which I now assume we have.

Would any one care to cast their eye over the vaguely related badge that I have added to this thread please and offer an opinon if possible.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=4897

Regards to all.

Ry