British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-08-11, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
the dent is from the stamping process
Brent are you sure this is the case here? Stamping sheet metal of this thickness would require fenomenal pressures.
Old 01-09-11, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Brent are you sure this is the case here? Stamping sheet metal of this thickness would require fenomenal pressures.
Luc, I believe Johans badge is die cast.
Die stamped examples I have seen are usually have a flat backs or a slight dent behind the scorpion.
Old 01-09-11, 11:23 AM

Default LRDG beret badge

Friends,

One more good LRDG beret badge, this one in brass.

I think the reverse side is very similar to the bronze one. Notice the right-handside last leg is different from the last leg on the bronze one, which is pointing almost straight up rather than to the rear, which is the common arrangement. BTW: The lugs on this particular badge have been resoldered.

Cheers!

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0498.jpg (39.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0503.jpg (39.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0514.jpg (37.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0500.jpg (42.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by johanwiegman; 01-09-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 01:56 PM

Default How to photograph these badges

Friends,

I would be interested in sharing some ideas on how to photograph these LRDG beret badges in such a way the details stands out best.

I find a flash light does not work out (too bright).

I think natural light works best, but even then it is quite hard to get a really good picture showing all the details.

Cheers!

Johan
Old 01-09-11, 07:46 PM

Johan.

When using a flash, its best to defuse the light from it, as to make sure its not to bright.

there is afew ways to do this, get the white plastic top off an Icecream container. and depending on the size of the flash you use make sure that it over laps the flash edge by afew Cm.

what this does is soften the light from the flash. thus showing the depth of the badge. as it does not blow out all the details

On a side note, great to see lots of badges, Ol Nuns is asking the right questions. as more infomation is better with these things.

Re Jack Duct "JDR". a badge is a badge, thats true and more so when your dealing with Airborne items as so many were issued.

Lrdg badges on the other hand, were of such a small issue over a very short time.

Been made local. with quite afew styles and also methods of making the LRDG badge. its hard as one has to source so many different types from Vets and even trying to go futher to match it to war time photos for badge details to sort out 100% prov to the type and style etc etc...

also. "Big lack of LRDG photos" and even more so big lack of LRDG vets now. makes this very very hard

So its great that the hard questions get asked, as its good to dig out the info etc, and its one of those things that I find is a welcome debate.

My 2 cents anyhow

Here is another example of a Die cast badge. but with smoother detail on the inside and no distortion on the claws

and this was taken with duffused light

Regards

-Ric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5685.jpg (65.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5686.jpg (50.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-09-11, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ric View Post
get the white plastic top off an Icecream container
That is soo MacGyver Ric !

I prefer to use a polariser filter, diffuse light and a dark-ish background.
Old 01-09-11, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
That is soo MacGyver Ric !

I prefer to use a polariser filter, diffuse light and a dark-ish background.
lol nothing wrong with been called MacGyver I remember overthis way as a child. waiting up to watch the show! I loved it!

IN regards to the Circular Polariser etc good call.

Im just thinking of ways people with non SLR digi cams can correct the light. back in the day with my old Cannon I used the Icecream lid thing worked a treat even holding it up infront of the flash worked well and heck it only cost $4.00 and came with 2lts of free icecream!! Yum!

regards

-Ric
Old 01-09-11, 10:39 PM

Default Photographs

Friends,

I take my badge pics with a fairly simple Nikon Coolpix in Macro setting and without flash. Normally I put the badges in a white foam box to reflect more light on the badges.

This little Coolpix outperforms my more expensive Nikon D90 by far, as the latter has no Macro setting. I need a special Macro lens for the D90.

See a picture I took of a SAS parachute wing. The detail is amazing. Of course, the flatter the object, the easier it is. See second, unpadded wing.
Also the SAS beret badge.

On highly padded wings and thicker badges, there is always a problem with focus. I think that is one of the issues with photographing the LRDG badge.

Cheers!

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0009.jpg (35.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0001.jpg (33.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0012.jpg (47.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0394.jpg (73.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by johanwiegman; 02-09-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 01:37 AM

Hello Johan,

Great photos and badges

The issue with taking macro photos and not using a macro lense on a SLR is that the depth of field is very limited, the point and shoot digi cams have a rather low aperture "less light hits the ccd sensor"

With a macro lens on a SLR you can adjust the aperture "depth of field " or trade off exposure time for a larger depth of field by using a tripod

Eg this photo here is from the tip of a leg of from an LRDG badge, note the detail in the badge. this was shot using a prime Cannon 100mm Macro L series lense stacked on a set of spacers "Moving the lens futher away from the Cam lets you focus even closer" with a off body 580ex flash with Garyfong filter. and due to how close it is. note how small the depth of field is

I could change this by Having a higher depth of field, and having a much slower shutter speed. by using a tripod I can remove any cam shake etc.

I use this set up to help me review fakes and other very fine details on badges.

Regards

-Ric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leg-1.jpg (38.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Kiwi ric; 02-09-11 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 03:02 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanwiegman View Post
Friends,

I would be interested in sharing some ideas on how to photograph these LRDG beret badges in such a way the details stands out best.

I find a flash light does not work out (too bright).

I think natural light works best, but even then it is quite hard to get a really good picture showing all the details.

Cheers!

Johan
Johan,
I take mine on a window ledge with a coolpix in natural daylight - but only when it is overcast - flash and the sun (obviously!) wash it out.
Seems to work. Mid-morning and mid afternoon are the best.
David
Old 02-09-11, 05:52 PM

Default More LRDG badges

Always a pleasure to see the badges from forum members, some real jewels in this thread. Old Smelly, here are two of my badges to add to the mix; to me they look very similar to yours and others shown on this thread, which I take as a good sign. I think yours is original.

Best wishes, castagain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LRDGbadge3_ft.jpg (85.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg LRDGbadge3_bk.jpg (96.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg LRDGbadge4_ft.jpg (89.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg LRDGbadge4_bk.jpg (70.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by castagain; 04-09-11 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Two badges relevant to thread, third one not.